Suse TW + Pulse, Audacity: cannot record (AGAIN)

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

fretski
Established Member

Suse TW + Pulse, Audacity: cannot record (AGAIN)

Post by fretski »

Using two slightly date-different installations of Suse-Tumbleweed I lost recording capability with Audacity on the newer installation that's about two weeks old. I normally use Audacity with/without Jack and these are the same version numbers and configs but pulse is newer on the newer installation. I suspected pulse but killing it doesn't fix. Has anyone seen this, maybe have a hint? Thanks.
Kott
Established Member

Re: Suse TW + Pulse, Audacity: cannot record (AGAIN)

Post by Kott »

You can disable soundcard in pavucontrol, so it won't used by pulseaudio. Also, do you see input signal in pavucontrol?
fretski
Established Member

{SOLVED} Re: Suse TW + Pulse, Audacity: cannot record (AGAIN)

Post by fretski »

Thank you.

What would disabling the sound card(s) accomplish? How can you get sound without them? My guitar is plugged into the Me-80 effectbox the 'RecOut' from which is plugged into the Line-In socket of the sound-card. This setup works very nicely with Audacity with or without Jack (WHEN it works at all) :-)

I went on a clicking rampage and did something in the PAVUCTL Input-Devices page to 'Port'. It might have been muted, I didn't notice the state it was in before I changed things. It's now working. Just an idea, maybe no muting should ever survive a session?

When I did the installation I just copied the entire /home folder over so I presumed that the settings were the same as on the donor installation where everything continued to work fine. But this has happened many time before on the heels of an install or upgrade ..so maybe the PAVUCTL config is being overwritten?

Next time I'll try to do it more as if it were a murder investigation :-)
Kott
Established Member

Re: Suse TW + Pulse, Audacity: cannot record (AGAIN)

Post by Kott »

What would disabling the sound card(s) accomplish? How can you get sound without them?
Soundcard will work with alsa only, and will be unavailable for all pulse-apps.

I have three soundcards:
integrated
behringer monitor2usb (as bonus)
and pci echo gina 3g for audio production - disabled in pulseaudio.