QTractor: Export Channel strip

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Musicteacher
Established Member

QTractor: Export Channel strip

Post by Musicteacher »

Hi,
is there a possibility to export a channel with all settings and plugins to another project in QTractor?

If, for instance, I created a nice guitar sound in one project and would like to use that in another project.

Thanks, Andreas
rncbc
Established Member

Re: QTractor: Export Channel strip

Post by rncbc »

Musicteacher wrote: is there a possibility to export a channel with all settings and plugins to another project in QTractor?
nope, sorry, at least as you ask (export a single track/channel)...

you can only transfer whole sessions (.qtr/.qts, or .qtz files) which are restored as a whole.
you can save as a template (.qtt file) which are the same as full-blown sessions but stripped of any content, only configuration and layout inlcuding plugin states etc..
if it's about the sound effect of a particular LV2 plugin, for instance then you may save it as a LV2 preset via the generic plugin UI (right-click/context-menu plugin > Properties...); these LV2 presets will be available globally in your system to any other LV2 host application, not being exclusive to qtractor alone.

hth.
cheers
Musicteacher
Established Member

Post by Musicteacher »

Hi,
thank you, this helps (even though it is not exactly what I want).

In this case, it's about guitar sounds which consist of a chain of plugins. Normally, one would use guitarix for that, but guitarix cannot be automated when used as an lv2-plugin (with a carla wrapper around).
So I build my guitar sound with a chain of lv2 plugins.

If I already had the perfect sound, the template-thing would solve this; I could base all projects on that template and have my sound. But as it happens, one would improve the sound while working on a project and then would like to have that on another project, too.

This would require to export the lv2 settings of all involved plugins, add exactly those plugins in the other project, and then import lv2 settings for each of those.

If you find my idea useful for other people as well (for instance, if one has found a really good plugin-chain for his or her voice, this would also be quite useful to be portable to other projects), this might be a feature-request!

Thanks,
Andreas
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Musicteacher wrote:Hi,
In this case, it's about guitar sounds which consist of a chain of plugins. Normally, one would use guitarix for that, but guitarix cannot be automated when used as an lv2-plugin (with a carla wrapper around).
So I build my guitar sound with a chain of lv2 plugins.

If I already had the perfect sound, the template-thing would solve this; I could base all projects on that template and have my sound. But as it happens, one would improve the sound while working on a project and then would like to have that on another project, too.

This would require to export the lv2 settings of all involved plugins, add exactly those plugins in the other project, and then import lv2 settings for each of those.

If you find my idea useful for other people as well (for instance, if one has found a really good plugin-chain for his or her voice, this would also be quite useful to be portable to other projects), this might be a feature-request!
https://github.com/rncbc/qtractor/issues/141

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/