Zrythm - An highly automated, intuitive, Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) - Release v0.4.003

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

alextee
Established Member

Zrythm - An highly automated, intuitive, Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) - Release v0.4.003

Post by alextee »

Hi all,

As some of you may know, I've been working on Zrythm, a new cross-
platform DAW.

Screenshots:

Well, today marks the first (early) alpha release day! Below is the
official announcement taken from the official website[1]. Any feedback
is welcome, and if you decide to try it please report any bugs you find
so we can fix them.

==============================
Release v0.4.003 (early alpha)

It's here!
The first early alpha release version v.0.4.003 is here! This release
marks the first official early alpha release and we are inviting
everyone to come and test Zrythm. We are also inviting translators,
developers and designers to join our team.

Features
Current features, among others, include
- Saving/Loading projects
- Exporting projects
- Arranger
- Piano roll
- Mixer
- Plugin browser
- File browser
- Tracklist
- Toolbox
- Hideable docks
- Repeatable MIDI regions/clips
- Arranger minimap view
- Undo/Redo on most actions
- Automatable channel/plugin parameters
- CPU/DSP usage meters
- Multi-language support
- Status bar

Windows Support
Surprise! Zrythm works on Windows too

Try it
Although still unstable, Zrythm has a lot of essential features already
implemented. Please take it for a test drive and report any bugs,
ideas, feedback and suggestions you may have on our issue tracker[2].
You can also find this link within Zrythm by going to Help->Report a
Bug. The manual can be found here[3]

Come Join Us!
See Join Us[4] for IRC rooms, Matrix rooms, mailing lists and more info
on how to get involved.

Donate
If you like Zrythm or would like to support development, please
consider donating[5]. We use LiberaPay, PayPal and Bitcoin. See Support
Us[4] for more info.
==============================

[1] https://www.zrythm.org/en/
[2] https://git.zrythm.org/zrythm/zrythm/issues
[3] https://manual.zrythm.org/
[4] https://www.zrythm.org/en/join-us.html
[5] https://liberapay.com/Zrythm/donate

--
Cheers,
Alex / Alexandros Theodotou / alextee
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Re: Zrythm - An highly automated, intuitive, Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) - Release v0.4.003

Post by AlexTheBassist »

Will it support microtonal notation in piano roll?
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
alextee
Established Member

Re: Zrythm - An highly automated, intuitive, Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) - Release v0.4.003

Post by alextee »

AlexTheBassist wrote:Will it support microtonal notation in piano roll?
I want to support that eventually. I have no idea how that would work with MIDI though. need to do some research
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

alextee wrote:need to do some research
You can get ideas from Reaper and Ableton Live, they sort of have this functionality.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

How's Linux VST instrument support? Can you give chorus and verse a different color?
alextee
Established Member

Post by alextee »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:How's Linux VST instrument support? Can you give chorus and verse a different color?
VST not implemented yet but you can use Carla for now (2.0 was just released).

Per-track color is implemented but not per-region yet. It's really easy to implement though, i'll make an issue to remind me
artofmusic
Established Member

Post by artofmusic »

Never looked at this DAW, how would it fair against a Muse for tracking and Ardour for mastering setup?
alextee
Established Member

Post by alextee »

artofmusic wrote:Never looked at this DAW, how would it fair against a Muse for tracking and Ardour for mastering setup?
The only advantages against Ardour at the moment are ease of MIDI editing and looks. There's plans to implement a control room soon.

I've never used Muse but I assume it doesn't have repeatable regions/clips. Zrythm is probably the first free (as in freedom) DAW to have repeatable clips Ableton-style.

I also have plans for multiple lanes per track like in Cubase. I don't think Ardour/Muse can do that.

Another advantage is that it just looks better (IMO at least)

But please note it's still in the early stages (I will release version 1.x.x when it is fairly stable) so there's more to come. It's more geared towards curious people and testers/developers/translators at the moment, so I'm encouraging bug reports, feature requests and feedback on how to improve.
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

I tried it and had a couple of crashes, but i'll investigate further before reporting.

You've noted in a post above that it's geared more to midi workflow. Is this for large orchestral projects too? If so, I can suggest some features to more easily accommodate that workflow (based on experience), but if not, please say so, in order that we don't waste each others time on something you're not interested in.

Your project looks interesting, and I wish you every success with it, for whatever audience you intend to target.

Regards,

Alex.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

alextee wrote:Another advantage is that it just looks better (IMO at least)
I agree that it has a very modern and clean, slick look. If you have to peer intensively at something with which you have to work for hours look and feel matter, f you ask me.

However, I noticed that since a few years there is a trend towards straight edges and a "non-3D" look for buttons, window borders etc. If I look at, for instance, Windows 8 or 10 and the application Reaper I can clearly see the change. But as an old geezer I cannot get used to it. I like the old look of Reaper more and might even have bought it if they kept it. You know, I do not see the difference between something with a different background color and the window title. Take for instance the X on which one can click to close a window in Windows. To me that looks like a little square piece of red decoration, not like an element (widget) on which one can click. It is very tiresome for me to the eye. Your DAW has that same flat look (I don't know how that style is called. Papercut?). To me (like I said: an old geezer) the look of Qtractor is more clear. And it follows the style of a desktop environment (KDE) so it can even be changed a bit. Will that be possible w/ your DAW too?

But - as they say - there's no arguing about taste. Good luck in developing your fine DAW. Gonna try it when it's stable. Will there be a .deb package that works on old distro's? :)
artofmusic
Established Member

Post by artofmusic »

It looks cool I wonder if you can add a score editor similar to what reaper has but without the mess when you do more then one voice on a track. Another idea could be to somehow use musescore as your score editor when you click a little treble clef symbol in Zrythm. This would open up musescore with a track open and when you save the changes get written back to the midi track. You might need to re-implement musescore's engraving code into our program at some point, though going to an external program to do this may be fine for now. This would make it very useful for composers/arrangers, especially if your software supports mixing down to 5.1 7.1 10.2 and so on. Just an off topic question, did you get the interface idea from Zyn Fusion for Zrythm
alextee
Established Member

Post by alextee »

alex stone wrote:I tried it and had a couple of crashes, but i'll investigate further before reporting.
bug reports are welcome (and encouraged)! especially if you include steps to reproduce
alex stone wrote:You've noted in a post above that it's geared more to midi workflow. Is this for large orchestral projects too? If so, I can suggest some features to more easily accommodate that workflow (based on experience), but if not, please say so, in order that we don't waste each others time on something you're not interested in.
I don't have much experience in this but it sounds like I would want to accommodate this too. Feel free to join our channels or make issues on our gitlab with your suggestions. I eventually want to support everything and be a fully-featured DAW, and this will take years to accomplish. But it's a matter of priority of tasks until we get there. Important features or features in high demand or features I personally want will get implemented first of course :)
alex stone wrote: Your project looks interesting, and I wish you every success with it, for whatever audience you intend to target.
thanks! i'm always open for suggestions for improvement/feature requests
Linuxmusician01 wrote: If you have to peer intensively at something with which you have to work for hours look and feel matter, f you ask me.
completely agree. simplicity of the interface is also important to me
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Will that be possible w/ your DAW too?
No, sorry. At least not by me. The first reason i went with flat-ish look is that it's easy to implement and I don't want to spend too much time 3D-ing things. for example to draw the fader I just draw a few squares filled in with color and that's it. You should see some of the things tytel does, they really look amazing. I just don't have the patience or graphical experience to do something better so I keep things simple. Btw the UI uses CSS for its general decoration of buttons and stuff and it allows you to add shadows and effects and stuff and make boxes more rounded to give it a more 3D-ish look if someone wants to give it a shot
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Will there be a .deb package that works on old distro's? :)
If you mean older than debian stable no. I'm using a lot of convenient GTK 3.20+ features that don't exist in older versions of debian and it would be a pain/pointless to implement something similar when you could just upgrade your system. debian stable and above work fine
artofmusic wrote: I wonder if you can add a score editor
oh god lol
artofmusic wrote:Another idea could be to somehow use musescore as your score editor when you click a little treble clef symbol in Zrythm. This would open up musescore with a track open and when you save the changes get written back to the midi track.
I like this idea. I'll make an issue about this.
artofmusic wrote:especially if your software supports mixing down to 5.1 7.1 10.2 and so on
EDM and similar styles of production take priority so it will be stereo and synth-based workflows for a while, but I'd like to support 5.1 and whatnot in the future.
artofmusic wrote:did you get the interface idea from Zyn Fusion for Zrythm
i started by copying the interface of bitwig (the overall structure at least) and then just kinda took it from there. i didn't consciously use any ideas from Zyn Fusion but it might have subconsciously affected a few of my design decisions