hey i need some help with recording!!!!

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

User avatar
khz
Established Member
Posts: 1055
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:29 am
Location: German

Re: hey i need some help with recording!!!!

Postby khz » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:13 pm

:welcome:

A RME 9632 or AIO would be my AUDIO/MIDI interface recommendation https://ardour.org/requirements.html.
For recording and editing the guitar and for effects https://ardour.org/ would be suitable.
Guitarix >> https://guitarix.org/
Rakarrack >> http://rakarrack.sourceforge.net/
SooperLooper >> http://essej.net/sooperlooper/

IMHO HF
FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
    I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.

Vrangor
Established Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:47 pm

Re: hey i need some help with recording!!!!

Postby Vrangor » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:48 am

Hi!
If you can use FireWire interfaces, I'd suggest Konnekt6 from TC Electronic. You can get second hand really cheap and it's great for guitar or vocals with hi-z guitar input, phantom power for mics and great preamps.
For DAW, next to Ardour or Mixbus I'd recommend Reaper, very powerful and system-light workstation.
If you need really good free guitar amps, you need to try Emissary from Ignite Amps and every amp from LePou. They're Windows VSTs but work very solid stable under Reaper and Mixbus with LinVST plugin bridge. Also there is very good set of cab impulses on RedWirez website for free. For impulses I use Ignite Amps' NadIR.
On the system side, I use LMDE2 or Debian, jackd2, wine-rt, system tweaks and Jack front-end Cadence from the great KXStudio repository.
Last, but not least - if you can manage to get or compile yourself a lowlatency/realtime kernel I'd strongly suggest you to do. It's not a must but from personal experience; it turned my old Dell laptop to multichannel 24bit/96kHz rocket.
Happy recording,
Cheers!

User avatar
khz
Established Member
Posts: 1055
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:29 am
Location: German

Re: hey i need some help with recording!!!!

Postby khz » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:31 am

Vrangor wrote:[...]Debian, jackd2, wine-rt, system tweaks and Jack front-end Cadence from the great KXStudio repository.
Last, but not least - if you can manage to get or compile yourself a lowlatency/realtime kernel I'd strongly suggest you to do.[...]

khz wrote:https://packages.debian.org/stretch/linux-image-rt-amd64 (or (Backports https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/) https://packages.debian.org/stretch-bac ... e-rt-amd64 or (DebianRepository https://wiki.debian.org/DebianRepository, DebianRepositoryUnofficial https://wiki.debian.org/DebianRepository/Unofficial) https://liquorix.net/, ...)

:-D ?
FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
    I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.

Jack Winter
Established Member
Posts: 376
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 3:52 pm

Re: hey i need some help with recording!!!!

Postby Jack Winter » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:43 am

Much as I'm for using any tools you want to, it's probably a good idea to use native plugins for something low latency like amp sims (due to performance reasons) . Once at the mixing stage it's much less important.
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux

finotti
Established Member
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:07 pm

Re: hey i need some help with recording!!!!

Postby finotti » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:42 pm

Vrangor wrote:Hi!
If you can use FireWire interfaces, I'd suggest Konnekt6 from TC Electronic. You can get second hand really cheap and it's great for guitar or vocals with hi-z guitar input, phantom power for mics and great preamps.
For DAW, next to Ardour or Mixbus I'd recommend Reaper, very powerful and system-light workstation.
If you need really good free guitar amps, you need to try Emissary from Ignite Amps and every amp from LePou. They're Windows VSTs but work very solid stable under Reaper and Mixbus with LinVST plugin bridge. Also there is very good set of cab impulses on RedWirez website for free. For impulses I use Ignite Amps' NadIR.
On the system side, I use LMDE2 or Debian, jackd2, wine-rt, system tweaks and Jack front-end Cadence from the great KXStudio repository.
Last, but not least - if you can manage to get or compile yourself a lowlatency/realtime kernel I'd strongly suggest you to do. It's not a must but from personal experience; it turned my old Dell laptop to multichannel 24bit/96kHz rocket.
Happy recording,
Cheers!


@Vrangor: I agree with a lot from here. But you should try LSP Impulse Reverb Stereo for impulses (instead of Ignite Amps' NadIR). It's native and works great!

Vrangor
Established Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:47 pm

Re: hey i need some help with recording!!!!

Postby Vrangor » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:23 am

finotti wrote:@Vrangor: I agree with a lot from here. But you should try LSP Impulse Reverb Stereo for impulses (instead of Ignite Amps' NadIR). It's native and works great!

Yeah I choosed it pretty automatically together with Emissary and some stomps from Ignite Amps, previously I used LeCab but it didn't work with 96kHz. It's not that I depreciate native plugins, but for guitar processing and production IA, LePou and VoS plugins were always my best. They're great, free and stable under LinVST so why not. Of course I still give Guitarix a try sometimes, but it always is "not yet" for me. I'll definitely check out LSP. Thanks!


Return to “Recorders & Sequencers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest