Help in OBS and ardour 5.12 using together?[SOLVED]

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Aquarious12
Established Member

Help in OBS and ardour 5.12 using together?[SOLVED]

Post by Aquarious12 »

Hello friends
i am trying to use OBS and ardour for video recording of learning purposes but i am not able to get the sound from ardour 5.12 in obs recordings .i am not able to understand what should i do to make it happen? i want to record ardour sessions.please help me .

i am new to this ardour and linux world. i have arch linux (linux 4.19 lts kernel) with pro-audio package and lenovo i3 1st gen laptop with 4 gb ram
Last edited by Aquarious12 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Help in OBS and ardour 5.12 using together?

Post by Michael Willis »

You'll probably get better help at either discourse.ardour.org or Ardour's IRC channel.

Since you are brand new to Ardour, I'll ask a few things that might get you going in the right direction:
  • How are you using OBS and Ardour together?
  • What audio hardware are you using? Are you trying to use more than one audio device?
  • Are you using Jack or ALSA to get Ardour to talk to your audio hardware?
  • When trying to capture audio in Ardour, do you have an audio track armed to record?
Aquarious12
Established Member

Post by Aquarious12 »

Michael Willis wrote:You'll probably get better help at either discourse.ardour.org or Ardour's IRC channel.

Since you are brand new to Ardour, I'll ask a few things that might get you going in the right direction:
  • How are you using OBS and Ardour together?
  • What audio hardware are you using? Are you trying to use more than one audio device?
  • Are you using Jack or ALSA to get Ardour to talk to your audio hardware?
  • When trying to capture audio in Ardour, do you have an audio track armed to record?
thanks for reply ,

ok i will check on the IRC channel , here are the answers you asked for

1. i am not able to do so. i am just able to screen record ardour with obs but not without the sound from ardour.

2.I dont have any audio device as i am starter and have some financial issues.currently what i am using is just a laptop with both the softwares in arch linux.

3.ALSA

5.yes when i need to capture the audio i do have it.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Aquarious12 wrote: ok i will check on the IRC channel , here are the answers you asked for

1. i am not able to do so. i am just able to screen record ardour with obs but not without the sound from ardour.

2.I dont have any audio device as i am starter and have some financial issues.currently what i am using is just a laptop with both the softwares in arch linux.

3.ALSA

Oh, I understand now, you want to use OBS to screen record the use of Ardour, but it isn't recording the audio output from Ardour. As for #2, you mean you are using the built in audio hardware in the laptop, that's fine.

You will probably need help from somebody else who knows OBS better, sorry I can't help there.
Aquarious12
Established Member

Post by Aquarious12 »

Michael Willis wrote:
Aquarious12 wrote: ok i will check on the IRC channel , here are the answers you asked for

3.ALSA

Oh, I understand now, you want to use OBS to screen record the use of Ardour, but it isn't recording the audio output from Ardour. As for #2, you mean you are using the built in audio hardware in the laptop, that's fine.

You will probably need help from somebody else who knows OBS better, sorry I can't help there.
thanks for reply
you guessed it right i want to do the same.

i will keep the post up see if anyone answers it.
thanks again for all your help for my last problem.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

For keeping post up, reply after week or two. This forum isn't that speedy that anything would be buried under new posts in one day :-)

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Aquarious12
Established Member

Post by Aquarious12 »

tavasti wrote:For keeping post up, reply after week or two. This forum isn't that speedy that anything would be buried under new posts in one day :-)

thanks for info i will do it ..thanks again
Joermungand
Established Member

Post by Joermungand »

Hi Aquarious12!

I’m not an OBS user, but I’ve been an Arch user for long and I thought I should give it a try, see if I could solve your problem. So here goes.

For what it’s worth, I think you should try Jack instead of plain ALSA. For the one thing, OBS works with it out of the box and, since Jack is listed among its dependencies, you’ve already got it on your system. For another, if you plan on doing pro audio stuff, you might end up needing its flexibility sooner or later.

Now for the ALSA part. To begin with, in order to route the output of one application to the input of another with ALSA, you need a so-called loopback device, which is just a virtual device ALSA uses specifically for the purpose. In order to activate it, all you need to do is

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe snd-aloop
In order to check that the device is there, you run

aplay -l
The relevant part of the output on my computer looks like this:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Loopback [Loopback], device 0: Loopback PCM [Loopback PCM]
  Subdevices: 7/8
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 0: Loopback [Loopback], device 1: Loopback PCM [Loopback PCM]
  Subdevices: 8/8
Two things to bear in mind here:
  • The Loopback device shows up as one card (card 0) with two devices (device 0 and device 1). The former is used for playback (Ardour will automatically use that one for output) and the latter is used for recording (you will need to set this one as the input device in OBS).
  • As a consequence, you need to note the card number Looback is assigned.
Once that has been taken care of, you can move on to configuring OBS. It is important that you do this first, without Ardour running in the background. This is because, if Ardour has already been configured to use the loopback device and started, setting up the audio input in OBS will trigger errors and fail while attempting to set loopback parameters.

In OBS, under ‘Sources’, you will add an ‘Audio Capture Device (ALSA)’. When the ‘Properties’ dialog pops up, under ‘Device’, you need to select ‘Custom’ (this is because OBS uses some weird syntax (the reason is way beyond me) that ALSA will fail to understand). In the ‘PCM’ text box that shows up, you need to enter:

hw:<card number>,1,0
where <card number> is the one given by aplay -l above. In my example, the line reads:

hw:0,1,0
It is also important here that you make sure the selected ‘Rate’ value matches the sample rate of your Ardour project, otherwise you’ll get in trouble later.

Once the source has been added, you are ready to start (and configure) Ardour. In the Audio/MIDI setup dialog, you need to select ‘Loopback’ as your input device (the output device will be automatically set to the same value). If you now play the Ardour project, you will see its output volume reflected in the meter in the ‘Mixer’ section in OBS and it will make it to your recording.

Please let me know how it goes.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Joermungand wrote:For what it’s worth, I think you should try Jack instead of plain ALSA. For the one thing, OBS works with it out of the box and, since Jack is listed among its dependencies, you’ve already got it on your system. For another, if you plan on doing pro audio stuff, you might end up needing its flexibility sooner or later.
I didn't realize OBS would integrate with JACK! Yes, please try using JACK. You have to learn a lot more than just using ALSA, but for cross-application audio, JACK will do what you need.
Aquarious12
Established Member

Post by Aquarious12 »

Joermungand wrote:Hi Aquarious12!

I’m not an OBS user, but I’ve been an Arch user for long and I thought I should give it a try, see if I could solve your problem. So here goes.

For what it’s worth, I think you should try Jack instead of plain ALSA. For the one thing, OBS works with it out of the box and, since Jack is listed among its dependencies, you’ve already got it on your system. For another, if you plan on doing pro audio stuff, you might end up needing its flexibility sooner or later.

Now for the ALSA part. To begin with, in order to route the output of one application to the input of another with ALSA, you need a so-called loopback device, which is just a virtual device ALSA uses specifically for the purpose. In order to activate it, all you need to do is

sudo modprobe snd-aloop
In order to check that the device is there, you run

aplay -l
The relevant part of the output on my computer looks like this:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Loopback [Loopback], device 0: Loopback PCM [Loopback PCM]
  Subdevices: 7/8
card 0: Loopback [Loopback], device 1: Loopback PCM [Loopback PCM]
  Subdevices: 8/8
Two things to bear in mind here:
  • The Loopback device shows up as one card (card 0) with two devices (device 0 and device 1). The former is used for playback (Ardour will automatically use that one for output) and the latter is used for recording (you will need to set this one as the input device in OBS).
  • As a consequence, you need to note the card number Looback is assigned.
Once that has been taken care of, you can move on to configuring OBS. It is important that you do this first, without Ardour running in the background. This is because, if Ardour has already been configured to use the loopback device and started, setting up the audio input in OBS will trigger errors and fail while attempting to set loopback parameters.

In OBS, under ‘Sources’, you will add an ‘Audio Capture Device (ALSA)’. When the ‘Properties’ dialog pops up, under ‘Device’, you need to select ‘Custom’ (this is because OBS uses some weird syntax (the reason is way beyond me) that ALSA will fail to understand). In the ‘PCM’ text box that shows up, you need to enter:

hw:<card number>,1,0
where <card number> is the one given by aplay -l above. In my example, the line reads:

hw:0,1,0
It is also important here that you make sure the selected ‘Rate’ value matches the sample rate of your Ardour project, otherwise you’ll get in trouble later.

Once the source has been added, you are ready to start (and configure) Ardour. In the Audio/MIDI setup dialog, you need to select ‘Loopback’ as your input device (the output device will be automatically set to the same value). If you now play the Ardour project, you will see its output volume reflected in the meter in the ‘Mixer’ section in OBS and it will make it to your recording.

Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks for the intensive reply you provided.

I did try to do the things as you told ,but i think some things must be done wrong by me,which made me to put my attention to the jack part of the story .its quite easy though as there is GUI not much to go wrong ,i did found out how to add things to jack. i am currently using it for making connections in ardour and obs . i guess there is more to learn in that side. i will let you know my experience about it.

Thanks a lot!!
Aquarious12
Established Member

Post by Aquarious12 »

Michael Willis wrote:
Joermungand wrote:For what it’s worth, I think you should try Jack instead of plain ALSA. For the one thing, OBS works with it out of the box and, since Jack is listed among its dependencies, you’ve already got it on your system. For another, if you plan on doing pro audio stuff, you might end up needing its flexibility sooner or later.
I didn't realize OBS would integrate with JACK! Yes, please try using JACK. You have to learn a lot more than just using ALSA, but for cross-application audio, JACK will do what you need.
Thanks for the reply,

i did found out how to add things to jack. i am trying to use it for the things i guess there is more to learn in that side. i will let you know my experience about it.

Thanks a lot!!