Your favourite Linux DAW's in 2019?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

What are your favourites?

Ardour/Harrison Mixbus
39%
LMMS
6%
Qtractor
13%
Rosegarden
4%
Tracktion Waveform
9%
Renoise
3%
Bitwig Studio
6%
Reaper
14%
Muse
3%
Other
3%

Total votes: 144

lilith
Established Member

Re: The best Linux DAW's in 2019?

Post by lilith »

sysrqer wrote:I tend to have two stages of the music I make, making and mixing the music, and then editing and mixing vocals. I have always used renoise for the music, for me it's very creative and I like the amount of modulation that's possible, control of details that you can have, the native fx, and the stability. I had never even heard of trackers before I used it but I quickly fell in love with it when went through all the linux offerings (there always seemed to be something major about the workflow that I didn't like) and when I saw how powerful it was I didn't look back.

That said I've done a few tracks exclusively in reaper lately and found it very different but enjoyable. I've also started experimenting in puredata with automatonism, it's great fun and so much quicker to get going with than regular puredata.

For the vocals I used to use ardour (because it's a nightmare to try to mix and edit 20-30 vocal takes in renosie). For the most part it was fine but there some stability issues when projects got complex so I decided to try reaper. Once I started to use that I didn't go back to ardour, the actions in it are incredible and you can customise every aspect of it to how you like to work. It was also very stable.
Just curious if you made the transition from Renoise to Reaper or if you still prefer Renoise over Reaper in some cases.
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: The best Linux DAW's in 2019?

Post by sysrqer »

lilith wrote: Just curious if you made the transition from Renoise to Reaper or if you still prefer Renoise over Reaper in some cases.
I still prefer renoise for creation, I might just need more practice but I find the work flow a bit slow in reaper compared to renoise. I've actually been using VCV Rack almost exclusively lately though.
lilith
Established Member

Re: Your favourite Linux DAW's in 2019?

Post by lilith »

VCV Rack is not working properly on my system because of some graphic issues. I also didn't find time to learn it, I didn't get a single tone out of it until now. :cry: I'm curious what the next renoise update will bring. Hopefully sidechaining support and VST3 support.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

lilith wrote:VCV Rack is not working properly on my system because of some graphic issues. I also didn't find time to learn it, I didn't get a single tone out of it until now. :cry: I'm curious what the next renoise update will bring. Hopefully sidechaining support and VST3 support.
That's a shame about VCV Rack, do you need a newer graphics driver or is it just not compatible with your hardware? Have a look at some of Omri Cohen's playlists on youtube, he has some beginner tutorials and all his videos are well done and easy to understand when you know some fundamentals.

But yeah, it will be interesting to see what comes in the new renoise, I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking but it would be great if the UI had proper scaling.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

sysrqer wrote:
lilith wrote:VCV Rack is not working properly on my system because of some graphic issues. I also didn't find time to learn it, I didn't get a single tone out of it until now. :cry: I'm curious what the next renoise update will bring. Hopefully sidechaining support and VST3 support.
That's a shame about VCV Rack, do you need a newer graphics driver or is it just not compatible with your hardware? Have a look at some of Omri Cohen's playlists on youtube, he has some beginner tutorials and all his videos are well done and easy to understand when you know some fundamentals.

But yeah, it will be interesting to see what comes in the new renoise, I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking but it would be great if the UI had proper scaling.
It's a known bug which will be resolved in the next version, at least they told me on github.
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

Mixbus, since i use DAW for mixing/mastering only.