Change Hydrogen DrumKit halfway through a song?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

dchurch24
Established Member

Change Hydrogen DrumKit halfway through a song?

Post by dchurch24 »

Hi all,

I have a song, and at the start I'm using the 808 drumkit, but when the chorus kicks in, I want to use an analaogue kit.

Is it possible to change the kit at some point in the same song?

Currently, I'm considering piping the output into Ardour, then changing the kit and loading the latter half of the song and then doing the same into a separate track and merge them later.
Death
Established Member

Re: Change Hydrogen DrumKit halfway through a song?

Post by Death »

I don't have a lot of experience with Hydrogen but I've never heard of a drum sampler doing something like this, not that it isn't possible. If it were me, I'd just run two instances of it, each with a different kit. It'll be interesting to hear if this is possible though. Good luck with it!
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Is there some limit on number of drums in kit? Make a kit which has both?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

As far as i know you can not change a full kit within one session.

You can set up your own wanted drum kit from separate drum parts out off different drum kits. You don't need to load a full kit.
Simply said. You can use the bass drum from the 808 kit together with the snare from the 909 kit and the claps from the 606 kit, to complete it with a djembe from the circAfrica kit and the crash from the flac-gscw kit.

But if you want to use two complex extended sets to use the setup mentioned above can become to extended and difficult. So you could build both parts separate end then export them and then import them in your DAW which is the easiest way.

So different roads to get were you want to go.
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

What about different drum samples in different velocity regions. So that way you can use one half of the velocity range for one kit and the other half for the other kit. Is that possible?
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

The most optimal solution is surely creating a hybrid drumkit. Loading a drumkit has performance overhead.

The only case where it would be a problem would be if you are using MIDI to control hydrogen. because Hydrogen uses a fixed MIDI mapping.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

Death wrote:What about different drum samples in different velocity regions. So that way you can use one half of the velocity range for one kit and the other half for the other kit. Is that possible?
With different velocities and different kits i would choose for the easiest option, working in two sessions for both parts.