Cannot record any sound [Solved]

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Mister Mint
Established Member

Re: Cannot record any sound

Post by Mister Mint »

Yes, Audiophile 2496 has phono (RCA) connectors. I don't have an instrument with me right now, but I'll try with a line-in signal tomorrow.

Oh, so the ice1712 chip explains the twelve inputs, thanks for clarifying :)

The preamp is plugged into both of the analog inputs, and the inputs are not muted in envy24control / Mudita24, afaics.
Skærmbillede på 2019-02-15 00-47-01.png
Skærmbillede på 2019-02-15 00-47-01.png (30.22 KiB) Viewed 915 times
Skærmbillede på 2019-02-15 00-46-48.png
Skærmbillede på 2019-02-15 00-46-48.png (36.63 KiB) Viewed 915 times
Btw, thanks for telling which captures to focus on, and which not to :)

Yes, the preamp is connected properly. I have recorded before (1-2 year ago) and not changed cables since then. Don't know what have happened in the meantime, but the batteri in the mic running dry is probably a good bet!

Hehe, no actually I didn't have the phantom power (+20 dB gain) on :) But now I have, and it makes no difference.
Last edited by Mister Mint on Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

I'm guessing you pressed a button on the preamp marked '+20dB'. That's not phantom power. If your mic has a battery then you don't need phantom power.
Mister Mint
Established Member

Post by Mister Mint »

Oh, I see :) Thanks for the info.
Mister Mint
Established Member

Post by Mister Mint »

Hi again,

The battery was indeed broken, with white/green rust-like stuff leaking out! In fact I had a struggle opening the mic, because this stuff was bloking the screw thread. But now I have replaced the battery with a new one, and unfortunately, it makes no difference :( All I get when input is the right caputure is the loud background noise I mentioned. I've also tried connecting an el-guitar to the soundcard (same input plugs) instead of the preamp, but this makes no difference neither. Very strange.
Mister Mint
Established Member

Post by Mister Mint »

I have tried two other mics now, into the jack-input of the preamp, and I pressed the +20dB button, but again no difference.

I wonder if I can re-install the soundcard driver? Otherwise, I'd better start looking for another soundcard.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Have you tried recording with nothing plugged into the soundcard? You could try recording with everything unplugged from the soundcard.
Mister Mint
Established Member

Post by Mister Mint »

Thank you, that was a damn good idea! The recording noise disappeared when I unplugged the amplifier cable at the one RCA input plug, and when I plugged it back in, I could now record through the mic without any noise :D Obviosly, I hadn't checked this cable properly the first time, so that's a lesson to remember! Thank to everyone for helping.

PS. The reason I apparently couldn't record anything was that the recording input level was lower than the noise level, so in the waveform you couldn't see it.
Last edited by Mister Mint on Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
merlyn
Established Member

Re: Cannot record any sound [Solved]

Post by merlyn »

Great. Glad it worked!