Pedal Chord Sequencer

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

trailblazer
Established Member

Pedal Chord Sequencer

Post by trailblazer »

Hi everybody, I am new to this forum and decided to offer to you a program that I wrote recently, Pedal Chord Sequencer.

Pedal Chord Sequencer is a free open source program for Linux that allows you to create a sequence of chords and play it out in a live performance chord by chord, changing chords using usb pedal or keyboard. The chords are played on the external synthesizer (Zynaddsubfx recommended, but any synthesizer that supports midi input and polyphony, should work), which is connected to the Sequencer using Jack. Here is a web page link that has screenshots:
http://consciousness.mywebcommunity.org ... sequencer/

Features:
* Note creation using piano roll
* Each note can have different volume (velocity)
* Chords creation and deletion, copy and paste operations.
* Forward and back chord progression using pedals.
* Easy to divide chord progression into sections, like Intro, Verse, or Coda, with a possibility of multiple repetition of a section.
* Easy to connect using Jack

This sequencer, however, is not designed to be a do-it-all thing. It is a small program, which is perfectly suitable for a live performances and jams. If you need to play a song on a guitar, for example, and want to add some background of light harmony, this is perfect software for that. You are still in the control of when to change the chords, and usually it takes only a short time to write a chord progression for a song if you know the basics of music harmony. You can even learn through the process!

Let me know your thoughts!

Peace,

Marvin
milo
Established Member

Re: Pedal Chord Sequencer

Post by milo »

This looks like an interesting tool. Would be cool to use playing live as a solo musician, to allow for a more fluid performance than what you could get from a pre-programmed backing track. It would also be good for playing modal music.

I can't tell from the screenshots or the website whether there is the option to set it to automatically change chords to a preset tempo, or whether all chord changes must be manually triggered. (I'm at work right now so I can't download and see for myself until I get home tonight.) It would be interesting to have the option of looping through a set of chords at a set tempo, and then switching to a different set of chords for the chorus when triggered. That way you only have to manually trigger the major changes, not every single chord, and you would have the freedom to stretch your guitar solo over as many verses as you want in the moment.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Very interesting, I will give it a try. Thank you for sharing it.
trailblazer
Established Member

Post by trailblazer »

Right now everything has to be triggered, but an automatic chord playback can be added as an additional feature in the future.