Beginner question about KXStudio

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

IllustratorPascal
Established Member

Beginner question about KXStudio

Post by IllustratorPascal »

I have a question:
What actually is KXStudio?
It's unclear to me if it is a DAW or some background software that isn't visible for the end user, but adds functionality.
I have installed the KXStudio repositories, but don't find anything about KXStudio in the Menu.
Is KXStudio an application for the user or is it something else?
rghvdberg
Established Member

Re: Beginner question about KXStudio

Post by rghvdberg »

From https://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/
About KXStudio

KXStudio is a collection of applications and plugins for professional audio production.
KXStudio provides Debian and Ubuntu compatible repositories and its own Linux Distribution currently based on Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS.

The KXStudio project is divided into 3 main sections:

Applications
We offer our own custom set of applications and utilities for Linux and Windows.
This includes a fully-featured audio plugin host, a JACK patchbay and more.

Plugins
We provide a wide range of open-source audio plugins and Linux ports.
We also provide custom patched plugins to work better and/or support more features.

Repositories
Debian and Ubuntu compatible repositories are available.
Use them to get extra applications and updates, or to upgrade to the KXStudio distribution.

Adding the repos doesn't actually add any software, you'll probably get some audio related updates (jack, pulse etc) though. You won't see the name "KX Studio" in your menu.

When you install software you'll get the latest versions of per example ardour, qtractor etc, also there are a lot of other audio software and plugins not available in the ubuntu/debian repos (afaik).

It is adviced to install at least kxstudio-default-settings.
There are several kxstudio-meta packages you can install but personally I don't use it that way, this will install lot's of software that you may not use. It's a nice way to explore all available applications and plugins though.

I suggest you also install Cadence, a handy tool to manage jack/pulse/alsa. To make full use of cadence make sure pulseaudio-module-jack and a2jmidi is installed, it depends on the distro whether they are installed along with cadence or not (for Mint you have to explicitly install them IIRC)

Note : There's one 'gotcha' , Cadence kind of assumes you wanna run jack (and alsa, pulse audio bridged to jack) 24/7. Therefore auto-spawning of pulseaudio is disabled. Which means that if you don't have jack running, you don't have sound from pulseaudio either, this results in no desktop audio (think youtube).

Hope this explains it a bit.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

A simple Google search should take you to the project's home page:

https://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org

which begins with the project's own description of itself:
KXStudio is a collection of applications and plugins for professional audio production.
KXStudio provides Debian and Ubuntu compatible repositories and its own Linux Distribution currently based on Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS.
Let us know if you have other questions. That one was very easy.
GuntherT
Established Member

Post by GuntherT »

Luc wrote:A simple Google search should take you to the project's home page:

https://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org

which begins with the project's own description of itself:
Let us know if you have other questions. That one was very easy.
I don't understand the point of this. The prior post already provided this info and more. It sounds a bit condescending, almost as if you are telling the poster, "Use Google, idiot". I thought the original question was reasonable to ask here.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

You're right. I read rghvdberg's reply too fast and didn't notice the site had been quoted. Sorry about that.
IllustratorPascal
Established Member

Sorry for the delay. I didn't had email notification.
Thanks for the info. I found something in the menu named 'zynadd subfx' Maybe that's a part of kxstudio.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

IllustratorPascal wrote:Sorry for the delay. I didn't had email notification.
Thanks for the info. I found something in the menu named 'zynadd subfx' Maybe that's a part of kxstudio.
That's a good discovery, Zynaddsubfx is great fun.

To hopefully clarify the answers to your original question, think of KXStudio as a collection of software that you can install. Adding the KX repos enables you to use your package manager to install quite a number of audio related apps, plugins, and tools. Zynaddsubfx is one of those things.

Let us know what you are trying to do (in terms of recording, mixing, composing, etc) and we can give you a better idea of how to do it, which may or may not involve software available through KXStudio.
IllustratorPascal
Established Member

Thank you.
My goal is to control and record external hardware synthesizers with a DAW.
I worked years with Mac, but now I have a dual boot computer with both Windows and Linux.
I tried for a while to work with a DAW on Linux, but the technical part overwhelmed and frustrated me, which brought me back to Windows were everything works fine for me.
That doesn't mean I don't search for Linux solutions for a DAW, but I tend to go back to Reaper on Windows because it works. When I have to do other tasks I boot up with Linux or use my Mac.

It's weird. I can build analog synthesizers, but when it comes to setting up a DAW in Linux, I have problems.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Reaper (and Bitwig) are also available for Linux.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
IllustratorPascal
Established Member

Thank you.
I already tried Reaper for Linux, but it didn't worked then.
Now I tried again and I could install it.
It gives a very distorted sound and I have to search why, but at least I'm already a step forward.
There's new hope.
I will probably later start a topic about the distorted sound in Reaper, because it's maybe too off-topic here.
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

GuntherT wrote:It sounds a bit condescending, almost as if you are telling the poster, "Use Google, idiot". I thought the original question was reasonable to ask here.
How come that is bad? So, now it's okay to post idiotic shit on forums, like: “I'm a total dumbster and can't even wipe my ass without assistance, HELP PLEASE!!!!11”. Do I get you right?

The original question was as unreasonable as it is possible. If somebody have managed to install KXStudio, they certainly were on its website. Not reading about what you're gonna install, especially if everything is explained right on the home page, is… Well, too stupid to be true, despite it happens.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
GuntherT
Established Member

Post by GuntherT »

AlexTheBassist wrote:
GuntherT wrote:It sounds a bit condescending, almost as if you are telling the poster, "Use Google, idiot". I thought the original question was reasonable to ask here.
How come that is bad? So, now it's okay to post idiotic shit on forums, like: “I'm a total dumbster and can't even wipe my ass without assistance, HELP PLEASE!!!!11”. Do I get you right?
No.

If someone posts something that seems obvious, and readers don't wish to waste time sorting it out for them, they shouldn't. It requires no action at all, just don't reply to the post. However, taking time to call the person out is rude and pointless. It's not like a forum post to which no one replies is taking space away from posts where conversation is happening. Also, who is to say what is 'idiotic shit' and what is a fair question? It seems this thread supports it is not always one or the other as other people have provided some helpful information despite your claim that the question was 'as unreasonable as it is possible'.
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

GuntherT wrote:Also, who is to say what is 'idiotic shit'
People who know how search engines work, people who read about what they are going to use/install/whatever, people who don't say that idiotic shit, at least. I am shocked by how people defend stupidity in the age of easy access to almost any information within a minute.
GuntherT wrote:and what is a fair question?
A question that doesn't pollute search results with stupid whining people don't really look for on the Internet. Search engines are invented to help those having questions, not to make people go through somebody's dumbness exposed to entire world, right? On any forum, there's a rule not to create duplicate themes, and not to ask questions already answered on the Web somewhere else, as it makes it difficult to find what a person is actually looking for. Recommendations are: first to do a web search, then a search on the forum, and if the answer isn't really found, only then create a new thread. Search engines are machines, they index and arrange everything “mechanically”, they can't truly decide if the page is really relevant or not, despite the rapid development of AI algorithms. I faced that multiple times, and you can check it for yourself, if you somehow never ever saw it happen.

Regarding the topic question:

Was it as difficult as you think it is? Nope. It was faster than creating a new thread here. I made it in less than 15 seconds.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

This forum is (IMHO) for helping each other with linux audio related topics.

This forum is not to tell people how to use google.

The OP asked a question and you can either answer THE QUESTION or not. It's as simple as that.
IllustratorPascal
Established Member

@AlexTheBassist I'm sorry to hear that my question bother you so much.
I was really wondering why, after installing KXStudio, I didn't found an application with that name in my menu, while on their website it shows a picture of a DAW and all kinds of plug-ins.