qtracktor plugins missing

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Andries

qtracktor plugins missing

Post by Andries »

Dear people,
I am new in Linux audio. I have Ubuntu-Studio 18.04 installed.
I would love to have the amsynth, synthlv1 and zynaddsubfx as plugins in Qtracktor or Ardour. I don't see them in the list of plugins. I can start the synths all as stand alone. But not as a plugin. In Qtracktor I do find synthv1 as a LV2 plugin (works) but in Ardour I cannot find the same synthv1-lv2 plugin. Amsynth is only as stand alone like zynaddsubfx. Is there a way to fix this? Some path settings? I would be very greatfull if someone can put me in the right direction.
Andries
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: qtracktor plugins missing

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

I don't work w/ Ardour. Sometimes I use Qtractor (which I like a lot).
  1. Amsynth is standalone. Don't know if it will work as a plugin in any DAW.
  2. Synthv1 is a LV2 plugin. LV2 it typically Linux. I don't know how Ardour works with Linux plugins. All Ardour links that I can find on Google at the moment are dead links.
  3. Zynaddsubfx. I use the KXStudio repository (do you yet know what that is?) and I have installed it via my package manager. It shows up in Qtractor three times (?). The only one that shows its interface is the LV2 type plugin (from KXStudio it says under "Path") marked under Modes as "GUI, EXT". Not he VST one and not the LV2 one marked under Modes as "GUI, EXT, RT".
Hope this helps a bit... Really weird that I cannot reach http://manual.ardour.org/working-with-plugins.
Last edited by Linuxmusician01 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

The LV2 should be in /usr/lib/lv2. Try Ardour, then Edit -> Preferences -> Plugins -> Scan For Plugins.
Andries

Post by Andries »

Dear Linuxmusician01

thank you, I am very used to work with Ubuntu so I hope to keep working with Ubuntu-Studio. In the /usr/lib/lv2 dir I find synthv1.lv2. So strange Ardour cannot find it. Anyway I prefer working with Qtracktor (more made for midi editing, and showing the synthv1 plugin) so the synthv1 is OK. But amsynth I have working on a 14.04 normal Ubuntu as a qtracktor plugin, so it should be working on 18.04 studio too, but do you know a way to install it as a plugin??
The zynaddsubfx is also not in the /usr/lib/lv2 dir. So actually I need away to get them there. Or a apt-get install or a self compile sulution.

thank you, Andries
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

Andries wrote:I am very used to work with Ubuntu so I hope to keep working with Ubuntu-Studio.
I don't recommend using it, it's a mess. Try KXStudio instead. A new release will come out soon, and it's still based on an Ubuntu-based distro, so your apt install whatever_package won't disappear if you switch.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

Nitpicking: spell it with no K please.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Andries wrote:[...] amsynth I have working on a 14.04 normal Ubuntu as a qtracktor plugin, so it should be working on 18.04 studio too, but do you know a way to install it as a plugin??
Blyme! You're right! I installed the package "Amsynth.dssi" and it showed up as a VST and a LV2 plugin! It resides in /usr/lib/lv2/amsynth.lv2. However, if I'm not mistaken, in the near future DSSI (an old-fashioned way to bridge Windows VST's to Linux) is going to disappear from Qtractor. So you'll have to learn how to work with Carla in combination with Qtractor. Or use the LV2 plugin version.
Andries wrote: The zynaddsubfx is also not in the /usr/lib/lv2 dir. So actually I need away to get them there. Or a apt-get install or a self compile sulution.
The Zynaddsubfx that works for me in Qtractor as an LV2 plugin is from the KXStudio repository. However, only now I see that it actually was part of the Carla package. So install everything Carla if you can. Can you add that repo to Ubuntu Studio, which is what you use? See this link on how to add that repo to Debian based distributions like Ubuntu and Mint: https://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories.
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:[...] in the near future DSSI (an old-fashioned way to bridge Windows VST's to Linux) is going to disappear from Qtractor.
where did you get that idea?

not qtractor's fault whatsoever but yes, dssi-vst is the name of the actual project/package at stake that probably will go into sunset (if not already) and oblivion just because no-one cares about or loves it any longer...

cheers
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

rncbc wrote:
Linuxmusician01 wrote:[...] in the near future DSSI (an old-fashioned way to bridge Windows VST's to Linux) is going to disappear from Qtractor.
where did you get that idea?

not qtractor's fault whatsoever but yes, dssi-vst is the name of the actual project/package at stake that probably will go into sunset (if not already) and oblivion just because no-one cares about or loves it any longer...

cheers
Oops. My mistake. :oops: But am I right that the dssi menu item in Qtractor to use Windows VST plugins is going to disappear? Not Qtractor's fault of course. We're gonna have to use Carla at some point in time, in some way, am I right?
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: am I right that the dssi menu item in Qtractor to use Windows VST plugins is going to disappear?
there is no "Windows VST" in qtractor whatsoever; the "VST" in qtractor are pure native Linux VST; the only way you could get Windows VSTis are/were the ones scanned/bridged via DSSI-VST (via wine; separate package) and they would appear under the "DSSI" type on Qtractor plugin selection.

please read this slowly: DSSI support are not going away from Qtractor anytime soon.

though, like LADSPA, DSSI is Linux Audio legacy and it should be preserved as such.

cheers