Any Ab.Live alternative?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

flagos
Established Member

Any Ab.Live alternative?

Post by flagos »

Hi

Anybody knows an Ableton Live alternative for linux?

Thanks!
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Any Ab.Live alternative?

Post by sysrqer »

Bitwig
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

Ardour 6.0 is slated to add many features that will allow a more live-like workflow, but the release date is still TBD. Keep an eye out for it. I'm sure there'll be some noise around here when it finally is released.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
Mhe
Established Member

Post by Mhe »

I have the same question. Bitwig is too expensive, sorry I don't like to spent that money. So Ardour is an alternative for Ableton live? Which external controller does work with Ardour?
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Ardour is not in any way an Ableton like, it's mainly for recording and mixing audio, with basic midi abilities. Don't waste your time ! I mean, Ardour is great, but not for live. You have some simple good loopers :
Giada https://www.giadamusic.com/#
Luppp http://openavproductions.com/luppp/
Of course, you cannot have all the features of Ableton, but you can make a lot with them.
Mhe
Established Member

Post by Mhe »

Thanks - I had a quick look at both - LUPPP looks even nicer - do you know which external controller can be used with these music software? Actually I am looking for an external controller and I dont want to buy any which doesnt work :-)
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

You have to search for USB compliant devices. Grid controllers are cool, but generally expensive, Novation Launchpad Pro for instance. Some akai are reported to work : MPK 61, Akai MPK25. I saw you started threads in the hardware discussion subforum. Search older threads, you may find info.
thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

I don't think there is any open source alternative that would fully replace the functions of Ableton Live.
My experience is that open source programmers (luckily) make stuff more based on own ideas rather than to replace specific proprietary software.
And generally the software isn't as packed with features as proprietary DAWs. On the other hand, it's easy to combine several pieces of software.
But nevertheless, I've used Qtractor for years, and when I had to work in Ableton Live one evening for one job, I happened to find that transition to be quite easy.

For routing and setting up stage sound and so, it's not the same at all.
But if editing sound, doing automation, mixing and so on is what you have in mind - well, then Qtractor might just be worth a try.
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

Bitwig Studio
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
Openmastering
Established Member

Post by Openmastering »

I think we miss some Infos about what you want to achieve.

Are you looking for a production platform? Then nearly any daw might work for you.
Are you looking for a live performance tool? Then loopers like giada, luppp or loopp might be a better pick.

Basically, any controller that outputs midi is compatible. You might need to configure it entirely though. It's tedious work but usually not difficult.

What do you want to do exactly? What kind of music? Do you already have a workflow? Is free software important?

Here an example:
Let's say I want to make some drum'n'bass and then tweak it live for a show.
I'd pick qtractor and program my drums, synth etc.
Then I'd export my track using stems (drums, melody, FX, bass, etc.) And cutting those stems in parts (intro, A part, drop, bridge, B Part etc.)
I'd load everything in a looper. I'd connect any kind of trigger device and start jamming with the different parts and some extra FX.
As a backup, I'd have my track running in another instance, synchronized with the looper but muted and I'd unmute it if anything in the looper goes awry.
Audio mastering for open minds: https://openmastering.studio
I master music using only free/libre softwares and DIY hardware.
Contact me for a free mastering sample.
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20757 - a very related thread

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh