No Sound in Bitwig Studio 2.3.4

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

G04T
Established Member

No Sound in Bitwig Studio 2.3.4

Post by G04T »

Hello,
this is my first post here, I hope this is the right place :P
I installed elementary on my Macbook Pro (I got extremely pissed off at OS X... lots of fancy stuff I really dont need, but simple things not working...different story), works like a charm, except I cannot get sound (or rather: JACK) to work with Bitwig Studio.
I set up JACK and Linux low-latency kernel and added my user to the "audio" group. Speaker testing with alsa works without any problem, just like pulse audio. Starting JACK via QJackctl seems to work without a problem as well, however, I get no sound in Bitwig. Whether I keep pulseaudio running or kill it (using

Code: Select all

pulseaudio --kill
doesn't matter, same result. I also tried disabling autospawn in "/etc/pulseaudio/client.conf". Also, no matter whether I kill pulseaudio or not, two processes of pulse accessing the ALSA device seem to remain:

Code: Select all

fuser -fv /dev/snd/* /dev/dsp*
                     BEN.        PID ZUGR.  BEFEHL
/dev/snd/controlC0:  max        5841 F.... pulseaudio
/dev/snd/controlC1:  max        5841 F.... pulseaudio
NeitherBitwig nor qjackctl reports any error, however, when I choose ALSA as audio option in Bitwig, I get an error message saying"Device or resource busy". I searched the internet and found this: https://answers.bitwig.com/questions/73 ... buntu-1404, so I edited my "$HOME/.asoundrc" as suggested, but to no avail. Do I have to change anything to get ALSA to use the configuration file? Could it be that pulse is blocking the device and therefore, JACK cannot use it?
I recall having an issue with JACK on Manjaro a few months ago (same macbook), but I remember neither whether it was the same, nor how I resolved it.

Any help greatly appreciated, THANKS! :-)
Have a nice weekend everybody,
G04T
lilith
Established Member

Re: No Sound in Bitwig Studio 2.3.4

Post by lilith »

Do other DAWs work with Jack or is it a Bitwig problem?
G04T
Established Member

Post by G04T »

lilith wrote:Do other DAWs work with Jack or is it a Bitwig problem?
Hi,
I just tried with LMMS. No sound. Bitwig "works" normally with PulseAudio, of course the Sound is terrible. It has to have something to do with my configuration of JACK, do you have any advice for me?
G04T
Established Member

Post by G04T »

I just solved the problem myself, the default output channels in Cadence were set to "0", while of course it needs to be "2". Thank you for your reply Lilith, have a nice Sunday evening. Cool stuff you got there on Soundcloud by the way, Viele Grüße :-)