QTractor + LinuxSampler

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Michael Willis
Established Member

QTractor + LinuxSampler

Post by Michael Willis »

I'm trying to learn how to use QTractor and LinuxSampler together. The LinuxSampler plugin has 32 audio outputs (stereo output for each of 16 midi channels). I want multiple midi tracks that all route to a single bus with the LinuxSampler plugin, then I want to be able to route the individual audio outputs from the plugin to different audio busses (to give each track its own stage presence with panning, stereo width, and reverb).

I don't see anywhere in the interface that allows me control over each individual audio output from the plugin; all I have managed to do is find a single option of where to route the audio, instead of 32 routes. Am I missing something? I've been able to do this with Ardour, but I keep reading reviews that say QTractor has better midi editing features.

I am aware that I can use a LinuxSampler instance per midi track, but that consumes way too much memory; last time I checked, each LinuxSampler instance had something like 200mb of memory overhead, which is too much for an orchestral project with dozens of instruments.

I am also aware of SFZero, which is much lighter weight and easier to use than LinuxSampler, but it doesn't support all of the SFZ opcodes that I want.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Re: QTractor + LinuxSampler

Post by rghvdberg »

From the top of my head.
Drop the plugin in a midi bus, not a track!
Right click on the plugin -> dedicated outputs
Route the outputs to audio audio busses or tracks

And ofc make sure the midi tracks use the correct midi bus.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

rghvdberg wrote:Right click on the plugin -> dedicated outputs
Thanks, I wasn't aware of what "dedicated" does. Still, I tried it, and it shows me two audio outputs. I did see that I can configure how many channels are on an audio bus, but I'm not sure how to do so on a midi bus that has audio output.

I'm also still confused about the distinction between "input plugins" and "output plugins". Ardour doesn't have any such distinction; it treats a bus as a sequence of plugins with data coming in on one or more audio or midi channels, cascading through all of the plugins, and then the results come out the end to be routed somewhere else. When using a bus in QTractor I'm never certain which side to put the plugin.
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

Michael Willis wrote:I'm also still confused about the distinction between "input plugins" and "output plugins". Ardour doesn't have any such distinction; it treats a bus as a sequence of plugins with data coming in on one or more audio or midi channels, cascading through all of the plugins, and then the results come out the end to be routed somewhere else. When using a bus in QTractor I'm never certain which side to put the plugin.
qtractor buses may be input-only, output-only or duplex (input and output); the "input plugins" refer to the "input bus" and "output plugins" are for the now "output bus" component obviously; each input or output bus have its own plugin chains, each one completely independent to the other: they refer to different (input or output) devices.

on the original subject: yes you can have a (only one) LS plugin instance inserted on a MIDI output bus to which (at least 16) MIDI tracks / channels converge for MIDI channel data; one or more LS sampler channels should be created, one by one via an external LS client (eg. qsampler) on separate MIDI channels (1-16); each LS sampler channel (instrument) on each MIDI channel should output to a 2-channel pcm-audio output thus making up for 32 pcm-audio channels in total.

you may then create an audio output bus with 32 channels in qtractor (menu View > Buses...) and then assign it as the pcm-audio output gang to the MIDI ouput bus where the LS plugin instance is inserted; on the respective plugin list context menu > Audio (> select the 32ch audio bus name listed here).

ps. that's it. you can also have a read at the qtractor manual before getting all confused just because qtractor IS NOT ardour (it is not modeled after it, never was, never be:)).

hth.
cheers
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

rncbc wrote:
qtractor buses may be input-only, output-only or duplex ...
on the original subject: yes you can have a (only one) LS plugin instance inserted on a MIDI output bus to which (at least 16) MIDI tracks / channels converge for MIDI channel data;
Thanks, I think the steps you outlined will work for me. For what it's worth, I did try reading the manual and only posted here because I was still confused. From what you describe, some things that I'm used to doing with a single bus in Ardour can be accomplished with paired input and output busses in Qtractor.
rncbc wrote:qtractor IS NOT ardour (it is not modeled after it, never was, never be:)).
Understood, I was mostly trying to make it clear that Ardour is the only DAW that I have really experienced. Part of my intention with this exercise is to avoid the problems of only knowing one technology and none of its competitors. I see that in my career all the time with people who only learn one programming language (or even just a single framework).

Also, while I have really enjoyed using Ardour, I find that I use it mostly as a midi sequencer with a little bit of live audio, while it is designed primarily for audio and only recently (this decade) supports midi. QTractor seems the opposite, like it is primarily a midi sequencer and secondarily supports audio tracks, so it might fit my workflow better.

So far I like the fact that a midi track represents a single midi channel, instead of a full 16-channel midi device (like in Ardour), but I haven't gotten much farther than that.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Michael Willis wrote: So far I like the fact that a midi track represents a single midi channel, instead of a full 16-channel midi device (like in Ardour), but I haven't gotten much farther than that.
Place MIDI and AUDIO INSERTs in your tracks and buses and you can do all sane and insane routing stuff.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/