Reaper setup issues for complete DAW amateur.

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

globetrotterdk
Established Member

Reaper setup issues for complete DAW amateur.

Post by globetrotterdk »

I have decided to take the jump and start using Reaper. The tipping point for me was the lack of possibilities for re-mapping MIDI notes to MPC pads on my Novation Launchkey Mini MKII and Launchkey 49 MKII keyboards.This is apparently easily done in Reaper. Thankfully, I have also found a posting in the LM forum about improving appearance (I believe that it was lilith that posted) by editing the ~/.config/REAPER/reaper.ini file and changing

Code: Select all

ui_scale=1.0 // scales the sizes in libSwell.colortheme
to

Code: Select all

ui_scale=1.2 // scales the sizes in libSwell.colortheme
. However, there are other areas that I lack basic information.
  • In Reaper preferences under Audio --> Device, should it be set to Jack or PulseAudio?

I am using both the i686 and x86_64 versions, so will there be differences regarding VST plugin support?

I want to start by getting basic functionality like LMMS. How do I play soundfonts in the Linux Reaper versions?

How do I get the same basic instrument clips and plugin support as LMMS?
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx
lilith
Established Member

Re: Reaper setup issues for complete DAW amateur.

Post by lilith »

In Reaper preferences under Audio --> Device, should it be set to Jack or PulseAudio?
I would use Jack if possible. I read in the reaper forum that there can be problems when using pulse audio.
I am using both the i686 and x86_64 versions, so will there be differences regarding VST plugin support?
If you have a 64bit system only use x86_64 version.
"want to start by getting basic functionality like LMMS. How do I play soundfonts in the Linux Reaper versions?"
You can use Carla Rack as a plugin host and there you can insert e.g. fluid synth from the Calf suite.
How do I get the same basic instrument clips and plugin support as LMMS?"
Reaper is quite different to LMMS. You could use plugins of course or play with the Reaper sampler, etc. etc. There are tons of videos about Reaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJD7aNzSmO8
globetrotterdk
Established Member

Post by globetrotterdk »

lilith wrote:I would use Jack if possible. I read in the reaper forum that there can be problems when using pulse audio.
Thanks for the reply. OK, good to know.
lilith wrote:If you have a 64bit system only use x86_64 version.
I have both systems.
"want to start by getting basic functionality like LMMS. How do I play soundfonts in the Linux Reaper versions?"
lilith wrote:You can use Carla Rack as a plugin host and there you can insert e.g. fluid synth from the Calf suite.
I'll try to investigate that.
lilith wrote:Reaper is quite different to LMMS. You could use plugins of course or play with the Reaper sampler, etc. etc. There are tons of videos about Reaper.

Yes, tons of videos. All of which are Win/Mac specific. Reaper functions may be the same, but as with soundfonts, the solutions are often not well documented or explained. While specific soundfonts and VST plugins (Win/Mac) are mentioned, Linux users are just told to use Fluidsynth with no specifics as to how to go about it. I seem to remember that there are issues with VST plugins on Linux, both regarding i686 and x86_64 systems, as well as issues regarding VST plugins that only work on Win/Mac, not to mention which plugins are without cost and work with Linux and Reaper. That is part of the reason that I have waited with wading into Reaper until now.
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

globetrotterdk wrote:
lilith wrote:I would use Jack if possible. I read in the reaper forum that there can be problems when using pulse audio.
Thanks for the reply. OK, good to know.
lilith wrote:If you have a 64bit system only use x86_64 version.
I have both systems.
lilith wrote:You can use Carla Rack as a plugin host and there you can insert e.g. fluid synth from the Calf suite.
I'll try to investigate that.
lilith wrote:Reaper is quite different to LMMS. You could use plugins of course or play with the Reaper sampler, etc. etc. There are tons of videos about Reaper.

Yes, tons of videos. All of which are Win/Mac specific. Reaper functions may be the same, but as with soundfonts, the solutions are often not well documented or explained. While specific soundfonts and VST plugins (Win/Mac) are mentioned, Linux users are just told to use Fluidsynth with no specifics as to how to go about it. I seem to remember that there are issues with VST plugins on Linux, both regarding i686 and x86_64 systems, as well as issues regarding VST plugins that only work on Win/Mac, not to mention which plugins are without cost and work with Linux and Reaper. That is part of the reason that I have waited with wading into Reaper until now.
Most Linux native vst's should be ok in Reaper and other daws like Bitwig etc, maybe some might have problems due to gui toolkit problems but most should be ok.

The AV Linux distro has quite a few Linux native vst plugins included.

There is a port of SFZero https://github.com/osxmidi/SFZero/releases

Then there is LV2 which is another plugin format that's mostly on Linux and Linux native Reaper and Bitwig and Tracktion need something like Carla to be able to use them.

Then there are the windows vst's and it's possible to run quite a few of them with Linux native Reaper and Bitwig and Tracktion and Ardour etc using a wrapper/bridge such as Airwave or Carla or LinVst and Wine.

For example the windows Sforzando vst seems to run ok with Linux native Reaper using LinVst.
protozone
Established Member

Post by protozone »

If for any reason you decide to try PulseAudio,
you will need to edit the Audio settings in "winecfg" (run that program). ALSA or PulseAudio or Default should be OK.
If you need extra help, install QasMixer program and set your levels there. Also be sure to check the PulseAudio Volume Settings program. Last but very much not least, you will need to manually edit the PulseAudio files (in root mode) to match your soundcard's bit resolution and sample rate and to lower the default buffer and period sizes to something much more reasonable. The PulseAudio defaults are ridiculously high, but they can be set down to extreme lows for low-latency.

I will try and upload my settings later for people to read and see what worked for me.
Also, there is a "tsched=0" PulseAudio tweak I learned from Puppy Studio which can help prevent xruns too.

I think the Arch wiki and PulseAudio websites will have more info for you in the meantime.
bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

I have been having troubles using Reaper months ago. It was a troubleshoot to get it installed and to configure the settings.

Now they seem to have a new version, directly downloadable from their main page, with an easy installer.
Works out of the box, directly with ALSA, no more jack hassle...
I've been recording some stuff last 2 days, works perfect.

I'd recommend to retry it again if you had some trouble with Reaper in Linux before.
The developers brought it to a whole new level as for userfriendlyness.
Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....
Get In Touch^^