How do I LOOP in Ardour?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Luc
Established Member

How do I LOOP in Ardour?

Post by Luc »

Why is it so difficult to make a simple loop in Ardour???

I remember I had trouble with it a long time ago. I uninstalled it. Now I have it installed again. And making a loop is such a challenge! I've read the manual, the Ardour forum, and even saw a video on Youtube.

Well, here is a video of my own attempt (2.4 MB):
https://files.fm/u/pd8xay8w

Alternative links, just in case:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 4181289585
https://ufile.io/iqb8e

Sometimes, it will play the region twice. But never more than twice, and usually once.
What am I doing wrong?!
rghvdberg
Established Member

Re: How do I LOOP in Ardour?

Post by rghvdberg »

Small screen here and old eyes. Can't really see what's happening

But for loop play set a loop range and press the L key.

Had a second look.
Don't press the play button but the loop button.
noedig
Established Member

Post by noedig »

Is Preferences --> Transport --> General: "Stop at the end of the session" checked?
Your session end marker is at the end of your loop. If above is checked, it might be the reason why Ardour stops playing at the end of the loop (i.e. end of your session) and does not loop. Try either unchecking above or moving the session end marker away from your loop end.

Additionally (probably not the cause but worth a try), play with the Preferences --> Transport --> Looping: "Do seamless looping..." option ?
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

noedig wrote:Is Preferences --> Transport --> General: "Stop at the end of the session" checked?
It was. I unchecked it, now looping works as expected. Thanks.
noedig wrote:Additionally (probably not the cause but worth a try), play with the Preferences --> Transport --> Looping: "Do seamless looping..." option ?
I checked that option, and it broke looping again. The needle still moves, but there is no sound after the first iteration.

Ardour makes things too complicated. Grumble.
12strings2hands
Established Member

Post by 12strings2hands »

I use it all the time and it always works. But you're right, it's hard to figure out initially.
Above the region display in the Editor there are several tracks (more or less, you can check off what you want displayed)
Make sure the Loop / Ranges one is visible. If it isn't, right click on that area and enable it.
Once it is visible, right click in the Loop / Ranges row and "Add new loop range".
You can slide the start and end loop tag that shows up to whatever range of region you want to loop.
Click the "Play Loop Range" button on the row of transport controls at the top. It will loop as long as you want.

You can only have one loop range, as far as I know, so whenever you "Add new loop range" it wipes out the old one.
You can adjust the loop range as it plays...kind of cool feature.
Hope this is what you were asking.