M-Audio/Avid Fast Track II Ubuntu Audacity Problems

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Batman
Established Member

M-Audio/Avid Fast Track II Ubuntu Audacity Problems

Post by Batman »

I got this gear http://proaudiotoys.com/maudioavid-fast ... 639e90e2d8 for Windows like 6 years ago. It had drivers and software but I have had Linux the past few years and so have had to make do with what I could.

I use the XLR to a mic'ed cab. That is how I recorded before.

I recently upgraded my amp to a 5150III 50W and was watching some YouTube stuff on the use of the headphones out. It seems the headphones out uses the pre-amp and is pretty much like a line out. Sounds not bad and I would like to record it.

However this device has always been a little problematic. Qjack doesn't see it. When I change the settings in Audacity it has a hard time detecting it. When it does I usually have to turn it up to max on the hardware interface to get a recordable signal from it. That is when using the XLR. The guitar jack in is another problem. This isn't supposed to be an amp in. It's a guitar in. So apart from that, even trying it, when I set it in Audacity (when it finds it) and as I am doing live playback, if I open another app to play along to a song or video of some cords on YouTube its whack and stops, freezes.

I could get a 1/4" jack to XLR male. Which might be the way to do all this, but the fact Qjack doesn't see it, I find a bit worrying. That my device is simply not up to the job. However elsewhere someone told me that it will be the same even with new gear. So any helps is appreciated.

I can grab printouts of whatever you need to look at my settings.

Thanks.