How to enable a VSTi in QTracktor?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

How to enable a VSTi in QTracktor?

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

I've searched the internet but as far as I can determine I've got everything properly set up for QTracktor to find my VST's. I've installed DSSI and I've pointed QTrackor to the dir where my VST .dll's are.

Why don't they show up? Pulling my hair out getting crazy here... :roll:
Last edited by Linuxmusician01 on Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wjl
Established Member

Re: How to anable a VSTi in QTracktor?

Post by wjl »

I've done exactly that yesterday, using the Carla-Rack as an "instrument" - and within that Carla Rack, I've loaded XLN's Addictive Keys. You can see it somewhat hidden in the background of an image in my blog post at http://wolfgang.lonien.de/2017/04/take- ... -version2/

Didn't manage to do the same with Ardour until now. As soon as I remove a Fluidsynth instrument from the piano track in there, I cannot route that track to the master bus anymore. Strange. Or my no-knowledge of Ardour, who knows?

Hope that helps,
and cheers,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:I've searched the internet but as far as I can determine I've got everything properly set up for QTracktor to find my VST's. I've installed DSSI and I've pointed QTrackor to the dir where my VST .dll's are.

The Carla Rack plugin is your best bet in qtractor for now.
Qtractor won't directly load .dll plugins, and I've tried qtractor with
Airwave, and it won't scan the Airwave modified plugins either. So it will need
the dev to sort that out, if he is interested. Native Linux vsts (.so extensions)
work fine in qtractor, and it was likely a lot of work to get there.
Some good free linux vsts are mentioned in the Marketplace forum:

https://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopi ... 59&t=16536

There are linux versions of Bitwig, Reaper, and Mixbus, where Airwave
will be effective for loading many windows vsts, the newer the wine version,
the better, in most cases.

Alao, the windows Reaper 5.40 works great in wine, and works with tons of
quality windows plugins. It may be your most successful option as things stand today.
Cheers
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:I've searched the internet but as far as I can determine I've got everything properly set up for QTracktor to find my VST's. I've installed DSSI and I've pointed QTrackor to the dir where my VST .dll's are.

you need dssi-vst (and thus wine) for that to work at all; if successful, you'll find the VSTi .dll entries under DSSI type; also, the search path to the VSTi's .dlls should be given to dssi-vst(-scanner) by the VST_PATH environment variable and *never* to options on qtractor plugin paths;
btw: dssi-vst is pretty old-tech and it would surprise me if it still works at all on modern win64/x86_64.
hth.
cheers
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Thank you all for your kind replies. I've started Carla Rack but I cannot load any dll's. I had a lot of trouble to understand how it works in Ardour, what buttons to click etc. too.

By the way, I see that "vsthost" is the executable of dssi. When I execute

Code: Select all

vsthost /path/to/vst.dll
it works just fine! I can see my favourite Minimoog VST. I've set the path/variable VST_PATH and DSSI_PATH but QTractor kept complaining about said variabeles and siad it'd default to ~/vst. So I copied my favourite VST's to that dir. And lo and behold: they showed up in Qtractor!

Thank y'all very much for the tip/insight that the path in QTractor's "Options -> Plugins" tab needs to point to where dssi's libraries are, not the VST path. So it had to be: /usr/lib/dssi and /usr/lib/dssi/dssi-vst.

It works now! :)

P.S. Also handy:
Last edited by Linuxmusician01 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

wjl wrote: [snip]
Didn't manage to do the same with Ardour until now. As soon as I remove a Fluidsynth instrument from the piano track in there, I cannot route that track to the master bus anymore. Strange. Or my no-knowledge of Ardour, who knows?

Hope that helps,
and cheers,
Wolfgang
I had the same problem. You need to pin the connections for Carla. I am at work, so I cannot say for sure how it goes, but I think you right click on the carla plugin icon on the mixer of Ardour and choose "pin connections". A new window opens, you select something like "manual", add two audio outputs (click on "+") and connect the pins by dragging the the green connectors.

I hope this helps... It was driving me crazy...
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

finotti wrote:I hope this helps... It was driving me crazy...
It actually did - I've got my xln audio "Addictive Keys" running in Carla Patchbay - yay!

Thanks a lot mate!

Cheers,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog