hydrogen exporting midi

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

hydrogen exporting midi

Post by funkmuscle »

hey, anyone having issues with H2 exporting midi files?
depending on the h2 kit, some will give all notes on one instrument and other kit will give all instrument but when added to a midi seq, you need to select all notes and drag to the appropriate instrument on the kit.

For instance, exporting the AV kits I get one instrument. Exporting the DrumGizmo, I get all the instruments and just need to arrange to the appropriate instrument.

Does anyone know what's happening?
mauser
Established Member

Re: hydrogen exporting midi

Post by mauser »

Hi,

since 0.9.7 Hydrogen uses the midi out value for the midi export. Before, hydrogen just took the instrument position + 36. So you should make sure that your kit has the desired midi out values set.

We're aware of the fact that this behaviour might be confusing/unclear, and it is on my todo list for the next version of hydrogen.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

mauser wrote:Hi,

since 0.9.7 Hydrogen uses the midi out value for the midi export. Before, hydrogen just took the instrument position + 36. So you should make sure that your kit has the desired midi out values set.

We're aware of the fact that this behaviour might be confusing/unclear, and it is on my todo list for the next version of hydrogen.
thanx mauser. are you talking about h2drumkit because that's what I mean. If yes, how do I get the desired midi out values set?
mauser
Established Member

Post by mauser »

Hi!

Yes, at least the h2drumkit is a part of the solution. Let me explain it:

Every h2drumkit xml files assigns a midi output value/note number for each of its instruments. As most properties in Hydrogen, those values are saved in the h2song file too, if you create a song with that drumkit. This enables you to use the same drumkit in different situations without changing the drumkit file.

So if you want to solve your problem, you should first set the appropriate settings in the xml file of your drumkit (or, if you dont want to edit the xml directly, via the gui). As a conincidence, the same question has been asked at github yesterday (https://github.com/hydrogen-music/hydrogen/issues/484). Have a look there for a screenshot of the part of the gui which is responsible for the midi out values..

If you have edited the xml (or saved your current setting to the soundlibrary via the gui) you can reload your drumkit. Now exporting midi files should hopefully work again..