Distortion when recording midi with Audacity

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Tobe95
Established Member

Distortion when recording midi with Audacity

Post by Tobe95 »

Hi all, whenever I try to record sound from my midi keyboard with audacity, the playback of the record sounds distorted and there are small interruptions nearly every second as you can see on the screenshot...

My midi keyboard is connected via qjackctl to fluidsynth/qsynth which then gives output to the system.
Audacity is directly getting the sound from qsynth during recording. Although the record has these interruptions, the real-time sound coming out of my speakers while I'm playing is fine as always.

The exact same setup worked great on my old laptop and I've got no idea why it's not working as supposed. :(
I already tried different soundfonts with the same result...

Any help would be appreciated!
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (95.64 KiB) Viewed 367 times
Tobe95
Established Member

Re: Distortion when recording midi with Audacity

Post by Tobe95 »

Hi, thanks for your answer.
I forgot to mention that recording in audacity with my internal mic using alsa works fine :)

I downloaded ardour yesterday and will have a look at it in the next days when I have more time..
Tobe95
Established Member

Re: Distortion when recording midi with Audacity

Post by Tobe95 »

Hi again,

I finally found a solution for my problem :D
Doing as you said, I used the same setup as described in my first post but recorded with ardour instead of audacity and I had no distortion or halting in my playback...

So I had a closer look at audacity: Under the tab "sound device info" audacity stated that the only available project-frequency for jack is 48000 while I was using 44100 as frequency. After changing it to 48000 I could record without distortion again :)