Spread Drum Track Across Multiple Tracks Per Percussion (Muse)

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Spread Drum Track Across Multiple Tracks Per Percussion (Muse)

Post by GraysonPeddie »

I would like to spread a single drum track across multiple percussive tracks -- one percussion per track in Muse Sequencer and I am using a development release of MIDI sequencer (3,0-pre2). Is this possible?
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Re: Spread Drum Track Across Multiple Tracks Per Percussion (Muse)

Post by GraysonPeddie »

I found a solution, but it requires manual drag-selection/copy-pasting of percussions in individual tracks. For four percussions: kick drum, snare drum, hi-hat, and crash cymbal, I drag the selection around the kick drum notes from the drum track, copied the kick drum notes from one drum track into a kick drum track, and repeat the process for snare drum, hi-hats, and cymbal track. Once I do that, I can delete the drum track and now have individual tracks for drums instead of being part of one whole track in which editing note velocity by using a pencil tool could affect other percussion to be in the same velocity number that I have already selected to edit in MusE Sequencer.

Anyway, I've used Hydrogen to create drum patterns and couldn't figure out how to record drums into each individual MIDI track all at once in MusE Sequencer, so manual copying-pasting is required.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

GraysonPeddie wrote:I found a solution, but it requires manual drag-selection/copy-pasting of percussions in individual tracks. For four percussions: kick drum, snare drum, hi-hat, and crash cymbal, I drag the selection around the kick drum notes from the drum track, copied the kick drum notes from one drum track into a kick drum track, and repeat the process for snare drum, hi-hats, and cymbal track. Once I do that, I can delete the drum track and now have individual tracks for drums instead of being part of one whole track in which editing note velocity by using a pencil tool could affect other percussion to be in the same velocity number that I have already selected to edit in MusE Sequencer.

Anyway, I've used Hydrogen to create drum patterns and couldn't figure out how to record drums into each individual MIDI track all at once in MusE Sequencer, so manual copying-pasting is required.
one of the devs helped me with that a while back but I can't remember. I use H2 and Drumgizmo with Ardour. If I need the drum midi track edited, I'd export from Ardour and edit in MuSE3. Or sometimes just create in MuSE3 and then import into Ardour.. Routing in MuSE is way to difficult for me to use as a full DAW even though I love the program.
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

IMO, MusE has the best workflow compared to Ardour as it's very easy to create new segments for entering MIDI notes and I favor having a separate window for piano roll. In Ardour, I don't know how to select a MIDI channel, but in MusE, the channel number is right next to MIDI port name.

In MusE, I did click a MIDI input icon and in my experience, selecting MIDI input channel seems to have no effect when writing MIDI data from Hydrogen when I specify MIDI channel and key number per instrument in Hydrogen.
--Grayson Peddie

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

By far it's my favorite midi editor.
I only use midi for drums and very small keyboard parts as my music is based mostly on hard rock and heavy metal so everything else will be live guitars, bass guitars and vocals.
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

Mine is more of new age style, so I'm working only with MIDI.
--Grayson Peddie