Import problem Ardour 2 to 4

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Luc
Established Member

Re: Import problem Ardour 2 to 4

Post by Luc »

I've seen it happen.

Luckily, I never embraced Ardour so I only lost four or five stupid test projects that I didn't really need. I made no effort to recover them.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

Maybe you can try Ardour 3 as a middle-point of session conversion?
Try to convert first in A3 format, and then only in A4.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

It happened to me too. Many things changed in the years between 2 and 4 not only into Ardour, but also in the plugins you might have in the tracks which can introduce erratic behaviour. I would suggest to use copies of your session to try solve this as it could corrupt one of your sessions (as it happened to me).
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

You should perhaps still file a bug to Ardour, so that the developers can improve the program, if you have the time. See here on how to do it (if you can, provide a backtrace). Crashing bugs are considered very serious and you are encouraged to report them.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Well, yeah, I remember I recovered the projects, but they had lost all references to plugins. Only the audio tracks were left. How is that any better than a lone, dry wav file??? I had kept the projects because I had achieved some interesting effects with them, and I saved them as a way of taking notes, so I could perhaps use those exact arrangements in future projects. But Ardour stripped all the projects of all plugins and I lost all those ideas.

Sorry, I just don't share any of the enthusiasm so many people here have about Ardour.