Ardour track groups

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sadko4u
Established Member

Re: Ardour track groups

Post by sadko4u »

You should create bus, put plugins to this bus and connect all tracks to this bus, so the bus will do the processing.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

You may look this video to see how, for example, drums are organized in my project.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkCHORwcZcU
tripomatic
Established Member

Post by tripomatic »

beck wrote:
sadko4u wrote:You should create bus, put plugins to this bus and connect all tracks to this bus, so the bus will do the processing.
I know how to create a bus. How do i connect the tracks? By grouping that bus and the needed tracks?

Very nice vid, but still a bit to complicated for me and my quest.
Insert a effect in the bus, then in the tracks, that you want to use for the effect, make a send to that bus.
Just from memory, right click on the mixer strip from the track you want to have effect on, then choose 'send'.
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

From the ardour manual
http://manual.ardour.org/signal-routing/aux-sends/

Adding a new aux bus and sending a Track Group to it

You can add aux sends to all members of a group and connect them to a new aux bus with a single click. After creating the track group (and adding tracks to it), context-click on the group tab and choose either Add New Aux Bus (pre-fader) or Add New Aux Bus (post-fader). A new aux bus will be created, and a new aux send added to every member of the track group that connects to this aux bus.

Of course, you can also add the sends to the aux bus track by track, i.e., the grouping thing is just for convenience.

http://manual.ardour.org/working-with-t ... us-groups/
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

beck wrote:As i understand every track needs it's own pluging added, but you synchronise there settings to each other through the bus? Ain't it possible to just plugin the bus and let other tracks use that?
Yes, if you apply plugins to the bus, it will be applied to the signal that is mixed from the tracks that are connected to this bus.
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

I use groups a lot for recording. Typically, I make a subbus for each of drums, bass, guitars, keys, vocal, effects, and then I group the individual tracks in groups with the same names. So I have a group for drums, a group for bass tracks, a group for guitar tracks etc. The tracks of each group then routes to the corresponding subbus. The subbusses themselves are in a group called "submix".
With this setup, it is easy to manage a complex mix with many tracks. The group dialog makes it possible to make groups visible/invisible, so you can work on the main balance in the submix group, while tweaks to each subgroup is done by making that particular subgroup visible so you can focus. Very handy!

/Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.