Bitwig Studio

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

khz
Established Member

Re: Bitwig Studio

Post by khz »

finotti wrote:From my experience, I'd be very careful with "autoremove". At the very least, run it without -y so that you can inspect what is to be removed. (I prefer to never use it at all...)
Full approval.
I also change in the "GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW".
THX
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

lilith wrote:I don't get my MIDI Keyboard
Is still using the "snd_virmidi"? *suck* && :dislike: IMHO
https://answers.bitwig.com/questions/12 ... s-on-linux
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure it worked last year without problems with KXStudio.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

virtual ALSA midi device for BITWIG studio? >> viewtopic.php?p=54617#p54617?
<EDIT>Bitwig Studio 1.3.5 digital audio workstation tested >> http://www.linux-magazine.com/Issues/20 ... Bitwig-1.3</EDIT>
I have no idea, I have no Bitwig Studio.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Ah, I see Bitwig still has crappy MIDI implementation.

IIRC, every single freaking audio application I ever tested only worked with MIDI bridge enabled, except Bitwig, which required the opposite. Or something like that. I'm not quite sure.

Also, make sure you enable recording (the "o" button) on the track's transport or it won't listen to your MIDI notes.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

chaocrator wrote:
lilith wrote:On the website it"s written:
Minimum 9GB free disk space (for full content installation).
That content is meant to be installed by downloading from within running Bitwig, not from deb package.
You can choose to not download it. It's media content (loops, samples). Personally I never use Bitwig's content. Their grand piano by itself is 1 GB.

You can also pick and choose what you want. It's in the Package Manager.
Last edited by jonetsu on Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Luc wrote:Ah, I see Bitwig still has crappy MIDI implementation.
Why would it be crappy, really ? Is it by ideology or because of real technical problems you experience ?

Yes, Bitwig uses ALSA MIDI. But that's not a big problem. OTOH, the problem I described in Marketplace regarding ST3 and MDrummer is a software problem, not related to the MIDI implementation itself (at least I thonk so for now).

It means that when going for instance from Bitwig to Mixbus32C, one has to do a preamble. For this I have two aliases defined in ~/.bashrc:

alias A2J='a2j_control ehw start'
alias KA2J='killall /usr/bin/a2jmidid'

Linux MInt 18 KDE starts with being 'friendly' to Bitwig. So when I use Mixbus32C I open a terminal and type A2J then start Mixbus32C. When I leave Mixbus32C and want to start Bitwig I type KA2J and then start Bitwig.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Now it worked out of the box after restarting the PC. There's no midi bridge running in Jack.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

There's a German guy (in English) that's doing Bitwig tutorials on specific (innovative) techniques and also made some Bitwig extensions/modules :

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... g+polarity
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I installed Bitwig last year and was really intuitive to me. Now as I'm familiar with Reaper and Ardour I'm completely confused. Thank's for the videos, I think I have to watch some before I continue with it.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

jonetsu wrote:
Luc wrote:Ah, I see Bitwig still has crappy MIDI implementation.
Why would it be crappy, really ? Is it by ideology or because of real technical problems you experience ?
I can launch any MIDI capable application here and my hardware will be acknowledged immediately. Tracktion will even remember all my custom mappings.

On Bitwig, I had to disable the bridge (thus disabling MIDI in ALL other applications), and I'd have to reconfigure the hardware section manually every time just so it would be detected. And custom mappings would all have been forgotten, so I'd limit myself to just two or three basic knobs.

Yes, that's definitely crappy to me. Great DAW, I wish I could afford it, but their MIDI stinks.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

lilith wrote:I installed Bitwig last year and was really intuitive to me. Now as I'm familiar with Reaper and Ardour I'm completely confused. Thank's for the videos, I think I have to watch some before I continue with it.
These videos might be 'advanced' if that's OK. I do not know Reaper, although I think it is based on the mixing console metaphor, with track editing. Like so many are. Bitwig is different, not in the same league. It does have a mixing facility, but the main thing are the Clip Launcher with the scene and being able to record them in the Arranger. Plus the modulations, easy editing of MIDI notes.

I always create in Bitwig and I always mix in Mixbus32C (Ardour). Each is specialized for their own tasks, I find.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Luc wrote: On Bitwig, I had to disable the bridge (thus disabling MIDI in ALL other applications), and I'd have to reconfigure the hardware section manually every time just so it would be detected. And custom mappings would all have been forgotten, so I'd limit myself to just two or three basic knobs. Yes, that's definitely crappy to me. Great DAW, I wish I could afford it, but their MIDI stinks.
I see. When I use Bitwig I use nothing else, so that's not a problem here. Actually I either use Bitwig only or Mixbus32C only. I never run other audio/musical applications. All plugins are within each of them. In my case I do not have to reconfigure anything when switching from one to the other, apart of the ALSA/jack MIDI for which I have two aliases that I described in this thread I think. When I run Bitwig it always remember controllers and in/out assignments, so it's basicallu plug and play. Not that much so in Mixbus32C, though. I would like Mixbus32C to at least remember the Faderport so I just have to connect it and not configure it. Just refreshing USB devices after launch would be nice, to recognized newly plugged devices. Mixbus32C (Ardour) still has some ways to go for user friendliness. Not that much, but some.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Have you ever asked in the Bitwig forum if the developers are developing this further, so that the user can use MIDI without extra entries? Just like the other music programs do.
It's good that Bitwig uses ALSA MIDI, but these extra entries are not very user friendly, especially for beginners.
Linux for music is already quite complex. IMHO
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

The bitwig discount is valid one more week. My plan is to play with it the next week.

Some days ago I was fiddling with it I had some issues with undo. It was not possible to undo midi editing actions. After restart it worked again. Are there any other issues? I'm on Debian stable. Do you think Ubuntu is better or should it make no difference?

I have Reaper also, but I miss a bit the ability to live play... i.e. fireing up some loops and play to it. Also the modulation abilities are nice.