JACK, Carla, NSM, Non-Mixer + ??? = WIN :)

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tnovelli
Established Member

JACK, Carla, NSM, Non-Mixer + ??? = WIN :)

Post by tnovelli »

Just wanna say, I'm finally coming around to the JACK way of doing things. I'm writing an experimental pattern-based sequencer/DAW, trying to do the least amount of work necessary to get my experimental features working. Yesterday I realized that - oh crap - I need a mixer and input routing... *unless* I can simply create an input & output port for each track, and use external tools... enter Non-Mixer and Carla... which is also a plugin host, so I don't have to implement that either. Huge win! :mrgreen:
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Re: JACK, Carla, NSM, Non-Mixer + ??? = WIN :)

Post by AnthonyCFox »

tnovelli wrote:Just wanna say, I'm finally coming around to the JACK way of doing things. I'm writing an experimental pattern-based sequencer/DAW, trying to do the least amount of work necessary to get my experimental features working. Yesterday I realized that - oh crap - I need a mixer and input routing... *unless* I can simply create an input & output port for each track, and use external tools... enter Non-Mixer and Carla... which is also a plugin host, so I don't have to implement that either. Huge win! :mrgreen:
I'm with you on that, NON + Carla is a great combo. Gotta love it. :D
War, crime, disease, starvation, extreme poverty; these are serious things.
Music? Not so serious. Have some fun! :D
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

falkTX wrote:yeah, that kind of modular jack setup is amazing. we're just missing a proper and fully-featured MIDI sequencer (that uses JACK-MIDI and not ALSA-MIDI).
agreed, all the pieces are there which is very exciting. I also think it'll be a huge win when automation improves. It'd be cool if tnovelli's sequencer supported midi automation but I think it'd be even more powerful if it supported OSC automation a la the non tools. Jack-metadata (which i don't know the status of) + non's existing osc-automation implementation + carla would just be fantastic.
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

falkTX wrote:non-sequencer and sunvox can both do jack-midi, but they have some design limitations.
oh, and AriaMaestosa too with some tweaks, but their linux support is very poor.
I've only glanced at sunvox, but I'd be happy with non-sequencer or aria if either were more complete.

I can't help but wonder, @male said there'd be an update for non-seq "soon" 6 months ago. It can't be in too bad of shape, it's already been used to create a damn fine album that's been publicly released. :wink:
male
Established Member

Post by male »

AnthonyCFox wrote:
falkTX wrote:non-sequencer and sunvox can both do jack-midi, but they have some design limitations.
oh, and AriaMaestosa too with some tweaks, but their linux support is very poor.
I've only glanced at sunvox, but I'd be happy with non-sequencer or aria if either were more complete.

I can't help but wonder, @male said there'd be an update for non-seq "soon" 6 months ago. It can't be in too bad of shape, it's already been used to create a damn fine album that's been publicly released. :wink:
A lot of that "soon" code is by now already merged and pushed.
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

male wrote:
AnthonyCFox wrote:A lot of that "soon" code is by now already merged and pushed.
I haven't seen an update from the KxStudio repo. I'll pester F about it.

EDIT:
falkTX wrote:
AnthonyCFox wrote:Non-Sequencer, please. :D
It's already packaged, the last stable version.

The git version has some serious graphic issues, I won't update until they are fixed.