Is ardour 3 reliable for 12h non stop-recording?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

rastagallo
Established Member

Is ardour 3 reliable for 12h non stop-recording?

Post by rastagallo »

Like the title say, is ardour 3 reliable for 12h non stop-recording?

I have to register a 12h theatre show and I would like to use ardour, but I don't know if it is enough reliable...
I'm worried about crashes that may occour during the recording...

I've got a AMD FX 8 core and a M-AUDIO delta 1010, I will be using all the 8 inputs...

I'm thinking about moving to Arch, maybe it will be better for the stability of the system, but I don't know where to start.
Is there a deb-like repository for KXstudio on Arch?
Or, is there a easy way to install the KXstudio tools on an Arch system?

Thanks guys!
studio32

Re: Is ardour 3 reliable for 12h non stop-recording?

Post by studio32 »

It should be, all though it crashed two times on me yesterday when mixing.
Non-timeline and jack_capture might be other interesting options for you
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

I've had ardour running idle for 24 hours or more, but I wasn't doing anything with it. I'd expect it would be fine if you are only recording a few tracks without any plugins or processing. If you have time definitely try it once before the gig.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
5parkle5
Established Member

Post by 5parkle5 »

You may also want to consider Audacity as well, as I think it's a bit less resource-intensive? Related post on Audacity Forum
LeadOut
Established Member

Post by LeadOut »

If resources are the worry, you could try setting the latency really high (you're not needing realtime feedback while you record, so that should be fine).

I've had ardour 3 crash on me several times, but every time was in response to an action (copy/pasting notes, adding filters, etc), and never spontaneous. If you're just going to be setting it up and leaving it, I think it should be fine, but if you'll be live mixing, I might worry a little.

Also anecdotally, I have been setting it up in the morning as a plugin host and leaving it for my wife to play around with when she gets home (before me), and it has run stably throughout the day and into the evening. Admittedly it wasn't recording, but it was continuously receiving input from the sound card.

Maybe you could set up two systems for redundancy (so if one crashes you could use the backup audio streams from the missing section while you got it restarted)?
Alwaysanewb
Established Member

Post by Alwaysanewb »

I run amd 965 on kxstudio and a lot of time leave ardour open for months. The only time I even get an xrun is if I open another program while recording. I would just turn off the internet and not open any other programs. You should be fine.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Just make a test with your height microphones recording a radio.
zettberlin
Established Member

Post by zettberlin »

A3 crashes on my only when I do specific tasks. Editing MIDI and stuff related to plugins. The sole exception, where a crash appears with audio-tracks is when consolidating regions with processing.

So I think, just recording should be fine, until your harddrive is full that is ;-) I never had any case of misbehaviour when recording in A3.
nostrum fungitur
Eddie_Alien

Post by Eddie_Alien »

Try running Lubuntu as the OS.. then installing KXStudio 12:04 on top of that.. use the LXDE desktop.. and if you have to use Ardour.. probably be best to not usrsion 3 yet.. since you'll not be needing midi or any real-time plugins.. it should be fine.. test it out first.. Lubuntu is great in my opinion.. LXDE uses much less resources but still looks nice enough.. I run it on my laptop with AMD Phenom 2 N640 duel cores and 4 gigs ram.. without so much as a hiccup when I plug my guitar in live...