Anyone know of a tool to detect BPM?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Anyone know of a tool to detect BPM?

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

I'm working on a album project with some tracks done a decade ago in CubaseVST, Luckily I backed up and exported everything as wav files so I can now import them into Ardour to finish them however on a few songs I neglected to note the BPM which makes it difficult to import everything and sync it to the correct BPM to work with Ardour and Hydrogen. In song in particular has a break in the middle where the time signature and tempo change. I realize there are painstaking manual ways of doing this but I was curious if anyone uses or knows of a tool that can analyze BPM from an audio file.

Suggestions and advice welcomed,
Capoeira
Established Member

Re: Anyone know of a tool to detect BPM?

Post by Capoeira »

the "set tempo from x" tools from Ardour don't help?
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

Hydrogen has tap tempo - you tap the \ key in time the music and it sets the tempo - you can then use that info in your other applications. This worked for me when I needed to remix a Cubasis project in Ardour.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Thanks very much for all the suggestions guys, I'll give that VST a try and let you know falkTX.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hmmm,

I found that the BeatCounter VST didn't really work for me, I even inserted it on a drum track where the transients of the drum hits should make counting beats quite simple but I found the displayed beat values fluctuated all over the place. There is not much documentation on using the plugin so maybe I did something wrong. At any rate it does launch and run in both Festige and ArdourVST (both 2 and 3). I actually lucked out by guessing the tempo and getting it close enough to match the drum waves with Ardours grid and figuring it out from there...lol
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

You can use the command line vamp plugin host with the example BPM detector plugin. Or try sonic visualiser, maybe with Queen Mary's suite of vamp plugins . Audacity is also a host for vamp plugins, btw.

See http://vamp-plugins.org/
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Pablo! Once again you saved the day :wink:

I ended up grabbing the QM vamps plugins for Sonic Visualizer like you suggested and I was able to determine the BPM, it took a bit of figuring but it really wasn't that difficult. Thanks for the tip!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Added note:

Recent BZR builds of Mixxx 1.11b2 analyze your sound files for BPM as you are loading them so it is also a fast tool for this, actually the Beat matching and BPM syncing on Mixxx has gotten really good! To be clear both Mixxx and Sonic Visualizer are using the QM Vamp plugins for the BPM.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

Seems you've already got a fix that works for you, but if the whole project is in the same time(and even if it's not, just multiply this idea). THIS IS FROM ARDOUR 3, I don't even have ardour 2 on my system anymore, I think this is also in 2, but I could be wrong, it's been almost a year since I used 2, and removed it after beta 5 dropped and things got stable, so sorry if this doesn't work in 2.

Select a single Bar of music with the range tool, then go to Edit>Tempo>Set Tempo from Edit Range = Bar
(Yes it really is that simple without using additional tools!)

I do this all the time. A lot of my work is musicians recording themselves, and then sending it to me to clean up and mix(when they get the principles of recording right :roll: ), and most of them don't know what a metronome or a drum loop is, so I quite often end up chopping each bar of music, then figuring out an average timing for time stretching.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

mix didn't wok for me.
first I got a totaly wrong value.
with silence cut in the beginning it almost got it right (93.65), but still wrong; find out by trial and error that the corrct value is 93.7.
yes, the loop was recorded with a metronome and the value I found out fits all beats
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

You need it quick? Or some efford possible?

Count the beat 10 seconds, times 6, and you almost have it. Then set the counted bpm in DAW to edit it visual until it fits the songs graphics and with ticker.
That is how i do it mostly. And sometimes i use mixxx bpm count for starting point.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

zoco wrote:You need it quick? Or some efford possible?

Count the beat 10 seconds, times 6, and you almost have it. Then set the counted bpm in DAW to edit it visual until it fits the songs graphics and with ticker.
That is how i do it mostly. And sometimes i use mixxx bpm count for starting point.
are you replying to OP? the thread is old lol