Record a loop with Rosegarden

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Lyberta
Established Member

Record a loop with Rosegarden

Post by Lyberta »

Hi, I'm trying to record a perfect loop from a Rosegarden project. I've set loop markers but when I hit record and it gets in loop end it starts from the beginning and recording starts from scratch too.
folderol
Established Member

Re: Record a loop with Rosegarden

Post by folderol »

That's how it's intended to work. Either as a loop for practising or for brief insertions. Rosegarden remembers the the last loop recorded (and ignores following loops of silence.

Instead of using the loop markers have an isolated section of track, and turn on repeats for that track. Later if you want to you can tell it to turn repeats into copies.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

I mean I want to record an audio loop from score. I've just found that recording doesn't start from scratch but glues end and start of the loop. How can I tell it to stop when it hits the end marker?
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Ah, I see. Sorry. Can't help you there. I've never used Rosegarden in notation mode. Might be worth asking on the Rosegarden user list.
rosegarden-user@lists.sourceforge.net
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

OK, Rosegarden uses JACK transport so I can use another app to record. How can I record a segment in Qtractor?
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

FaTony wrote:OK, Rosegarden uses JACK transport so I can use another app to record. How can I record a segment in Qtractor?
well, that's a tricky question :)
maybe rosegarden's "segment" concept should be mapped as a "clip" in qtractor. you tell me.

though, you probably have some options here:
a) save/export the rg sequence into a smf/std midi file; then load it in qtractor; adjust to taste; (you ought doing this as well, if you were on musescore, i believe)
b) playback each rg sequence, either as midi or audio stem merge/rendering; record it into qtractor, or ardour, if you will.
c) now this will come to you as a embarrassing shock: jack transport is NOT, say not really, suited to loop/cycled sequencing scenarios; if you think it could work, give up all hope. sorry. truth is: it might work and not, severely depending on which part you run first and how it is configured, whether to accept jack-transport call/orders or whatever.

it ain't easy, i wasn't ever :/
cheers
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

How to make Qtractor stop at the specified bar? It looks like Qtractor uses the same principle of gluing the end and the start of the loop together.
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

FaTony wrote:How to make Qtractor stop at the specified bar? It looks like Qtractor uses the same principle of gluing the end and the start of the loop together.
qtractor has this special mode of turning loop-recording as "takes". though it sure runs better if it's the master of all jacks ;)
cf. View > Options... > General > Transport / Loop-recording mode (takes): anything but "None", "Last" is a good choice ie. last "take" becomes current upon recording stop. after that, you can cycle across previous or next "takes" interactively (Clip > Take > Next/Prev etc.).

cheers
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

Ah, I see. I also learned I can then export and set loop. But for some strange reason when I play it looped in VLC, it ends too early. Hmm.

EDIT: Oh wait, it seems like a Qtractor encoding issue. When I've transcoded with Audacity, it seems ok.

EDIT2: OK, this is very weird. WAV and OGG loop fine but FLAC skips a few last frames. this is all after transcoding with Audacity.