Can't get dssi-vst installed.k

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Can't get dssi-vst installed.k

Post by GraysonPeddie »

I'm trying to get dssi-vst installed so I can use Cakewalk Dimension LE in Ubuntu 12.04. Here's the output of what's going on:

Code: Select all

grayson@htpc:~/Downloads/dssivst/dssi-vst-master$ make
wineg++ -m32 dssi-vst-server.wine.o libremoteplugin.wine.a -m32 -L/usr/lib32/wine -L/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/wine -lpthread -lrt -lz    -ljack -o dssi-vst-server.exe
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so when searching for -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.a when searching for -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librt.so when searching for -lrt
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librt.a when searching for -lrt
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so when searching for -lz
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.a when searching for -lz
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjack.so when searching for -ljack
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ljack
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwine.so when searching for -lwine
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so when searching for -lm
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.a when searching for -lm
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so when searching for -lc
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.a when searching for -lc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
winegcc: g++ failed
make: *** [dssi-vst-server.exe] Error 2
grayson@htpc:~/Downloads/dssivst/dssi-vst-master$ sudo apt-get install dssi-vst
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  sndfile-programs guile-1.8 libsigc++-1.2-5c2 python-twisted-mail
  sndfile-tools libxml-parser-perl libtie-ixhash-perl python-twisted-lore
  python-twisted-news libglademm-2.4-1c2a python-twisted-conch
  python-twisted-words libslv2-9 python-twisted lilypond-data flac lilypond
  lilypond-doc libgnomecanvasmm-2.6-1c2a libaubio2 python-twisted-runner
  libxml-xpath-perl python-support libxml-twig-perl python-pyasn1 texinfo
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following extra packages will be installed:
  liblo7:i386
Suggested packages:
  liblo-dev:i386
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  ardour dssi-example-plugins dssi-host-jack dssi-utils fluidsynth-dssi jamin
  kxstudio-meta-audio-plugins kxstudio-meta-audio-plugins-dssi liblo-dev
  liblo7 ll-scope muse nekobee rosegarden sineshaper sooperlooper xsynth-dssi
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  dssi-vst:i386 liblo7:i386
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 17 to remove and 14 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/207 kB of archives.
After this operation, 163 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.
Note the last command "apt-get install dssi-vst." This will remove packages that I want it kept such as Ardour, Jamin, Rosegarden, Sineshaper, and a couple of others.

Is there anything that can be done to get dssi-vst installed?
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Re: Can't get dssi-vst installed.k

Post by GraysonPeddie »

Thanks Falk. I don't know what is going on but I did install kxstudio-repos and installed kxstudio-meta-audio but it looks like dssi-vst isn't included in the repository. This is what I have:

Code: Select all

root@htpc:/home/grayson/Downloads/dssivst# ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
google-chrome.list
irie-blender-precise.list
kxstudio-debian-backports.list
kxstudio-debian.list
kxstudio-non-free.list
kxstudio-team-kernel-precise.list
kxstudio-team-kxstudio-precise.list
private-ppa.launchpad.net_commercial-ppa-uploaders_steam_ubuntu.list
steam.list
I've once tried Ubuntu 13.04 to see what XMir is like, but went back to Ubuntu 12.04 until 14.04 comes out. I'm a "version"-hopper myself and I do like having all the latest features and software programs besides the ones in KXStudio despite that some packages can make my system feel unstable -- mostly Ubuntu's standard packages that made me babysit through so many vague error messages like "There's a problem. Report." I told it to buzz off, but it just keeps coming back. I do like Unity a lot since it almost felt like a Mac. Whew -- I'm drifting away from my topic here. Whoops. (Time for me to use Clonezilla to backup my system before "version-hopping" or upgrading. :)

Anyway, thanks for your help. It worked.

You know what? I feel like I want a Gentoo-Ubuntu hybrid. I just find it helps to compile my own kernel, lv2, lilv, suil, and whatever packages that I need. But it's nice having Ubuntu Unity, Steam, KXStudio packages like Cadence, Catia, Carla, Claudia, and use AMD Catalyst for playing games like Portal and what have I in the Steam library. I just can't go all open source. :)
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
damnage
Established Member

Post by damnage »

I'm pretty much having the same problem under Ubuntu Dream Studio 12.04 64-bit AMD build. When I visit the link above, I get:

Publishing details

Removed from disk on 2014-07-03.
Removal requested on 2014-07-03.
Deleted on 2014-07-03 by falkTX
Published on 2013-06-19

I followed the AMD64 link, but the KXStudio PPA doesn't have dssi-vst-bridge anywhere in the files listed there. I added the PPA anyway, but no luck with it.

So I'm guessing the package doesn't exist anymore? I've tried installing it through different PPA's, and yeah, it wants to remove Ardour and other pieces of software. Not that I use Ardour all that much anymore, since I got Bitwig, but I'd rather keep it than blow it off.

I'm actually looking at a suitable iMac on eBay that's just dirt cheap to run VST's (in AU's, of course) on. I have a multi-channel mixer running as an external USB sound card, and I'm already running a Dream Studio laptop as an intrument on it, why not a Mac?

Anyway, is there a working 64-bit version of dssi-vst-bridge out there, or am I just wasting time looking for it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
damnage
Established Member

Post by damnage »

Hi Falk,

Thanks for the quick response. Basically, after following:

# Install needed tools
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common wget

# Enable KXStudio repo (press 'Enter' once asked)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kxstudio-debian/kxstudio

# Update software sources
sudo apt-get update

# Install kxstudio-repos
sudo apt-get install kxstudio-repos

# Update software sources again
sudo apt-get update

All that comes up is dssi-vst:i386, and when I go to install it, using Synaptic Package Manager, it tells me it's going to remove Ardour and pretty much anything else that's used in recording to install it. Also, since following the above instructions, Apport is giving me error messages. I've been using Linux in one form or another for more than ten years, and I realize that there are just certain things it can't, or won't do. I've been struggling with the whole recording thing now for more than a year, and I think it's just time to throw in the towel with it and give Mac a try.

Again, thanks for your help, and for your quick response, but I'm beginning to realize that I may have just outgrown Linux in general. It's come a long way in the last ten or fifteen years, but it hasn't come far enough along for what I need it to do right now. Life's too short, dude. I don't want to mess with command lines and code anymore. I just want to make music.
damnage
Established Member

Post by damnage »

Thanks again for the quick reply, Falk. I got it - actually, from another post of yours where you'd suggested to someone to install the AMD64 Ubuntu 11.10 version of the program. I installed dssi-vst 0.9.2-1ubuntu3 (amd64 binary) in Ubuntu Oneiric in my 12.04 Dream Studio, and it works perfectly in Jack. It installed without a hitch and fired up like a charm. I'm messing around with SuperWave P8 right now just to put it through some paces, and nothing's crashing or anything, and it seems to be totally stable.

Sorry for the pity-party in my last post, but I was just getting frustrated with the whole deal. I've been on this all weekend. Installing libraries, ppa's, all that stuff. So yeah, here I am, 3:30AM (my time), and I finally got the thing going! *LOL*

I got it working on my desktop, so now let's see if I can duplicate what I did and get it running on my laptop, too - then I'll be in good shape.

Again man, thanks for your patience and help.
damnage
Established Member

Post by damnage »

Thanks again, Falk. I appreciate the advice. It's more or less something I'm just playing around with now because I learned I can't seem to get anything into Bitwig with it anyway. I didn't pay nearly $400.00 to record stuff in Ardour 3! *LOL* I'm sort of stuck because I want to use Sonivox's Dubstep Grime Generator 2.1 in Bitwig, and I don't think it's gonna happen for me, at least not yet.

I'm seriously considering just doing a WiNE build of Bitwig to more or less force it to run in a Windows-esque environment. I can't get it to play nice with Jack anyway. It boggles my mind as to why the Bitwig developers reccomend we use the software with Jack to begin with. There's like zero MIDI support in Jack. I can see my controller in Bitwig when it's hooked up to Jack, but it won't work. Under just plain ALSA? It's great. Wonderful. I also get a bunch of xruns in Jack with Bitwig. Actually, Bitwig runs about as well under Jack as LMMS - and dude, I'm running a 3 gig dual core AMD 64-bit processor with 8 gigs of memory - there shouldn't be any problems - especially since I have my frames period set to like 512 at a sample rate of 44100 in Jack, which is pretty conservative for my set up. Anyway, Bitwig is much better as a stand-alone ALSA app.

Plus the fact that Bitwig won't show up in Jack with any MIDI inputs...

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. You helped me to get dssi-vst running as it was intended to run, and I'm very grateful for that. Thank you. I'll treat the previous 11.10 build with kid gloves and not expect it to save any settings. I'm just happy it's working. Thanks! :)
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

damnage wrote: I'm seriously considering just doing a WiNE build of Bitwig to more or less force it to run in a Windows-esque environment. I can't get it to play nice with Jack anyway. It boggles my mind as to why the Bitwig developers reccomend we use the software with Jack to begin with. There's like zero MIDI support in Jack. I can see my controller in Bitwig when it's hooked up to Jack, but it won't work. Under just plain ALSA? It's great. Wonderful. I also get a bunch of xruns in Jack with Bitwig. Actually, Bitwig runs about as well under Jack as LMMS - and dude, I'm running a 3 gig dual core AMD 64-bit processor with 8 gigs of memory - there shouldn't be any problems - especially since I have my frames period set to like 512 at a sample rate of 44100 in Jack, which is pretty conservative for my set up. Anyway, Bitwig is much better as a stand-alone ALSA app.

Plus the fact that Bitwig won't show up in Jack with any MIDI inputs...
Have you been following the reports in the Bitwig forum at KVRaudio ?

I have MIDI I/O with Bitwig using a virmidi controller script, falkTX's JackAss plugin, and the MIDI Out capability of Tonespace.

I run VST/VSTi plugs using phantom-one's Airwave utility, works very well with many plugins. My current favorite is the Cyclone TX16w emulator.

System is Fedora 19 x86_64.

Best,

dp
damnage
Established Member

Post by damnage »

StudioDave wrote:
Have you been following the reports in the Bitwig forum at KVRaudio ?

I have MIDI I/O with Bitwig using a virmidi controller script, falkTX's JackAss plugin, and the MIDI Out capability of Tonespace.

I run VST/VSTi plugs using phantom-one's Airwave utility, works very well with many plugins. My current favorite is the Cyclone TX16w emulator.

System is Fedora 19 x86_64.

Best,

dp
Oh yeah, I've been following the Bitwig stuff at KVRaudio - I'm also "damnage" in that forum, too. I'm "damnage" in a lot of places, actually - I've owned the domain(s) for many years. I run my own servers using Fedora. I haven't used Fedora as a desktop for at least four or five years. I've been an Ubuntu guy in that time.

Anyway...

I searched high and low for JackAss, and I couldn't come up with it, not for Ubuntu. I've heard mention of Airwave. Maybe I didn't look at it closely enough, but it didn't seem to me to be something that would work with what I'm doing. I'm more than willing to be wrong though. :) This is the first I've heard of Tonespace and virmidi.

Actually, in everything you've stated, we probably have the makings of a very good and useful tutorial.

I'll look into all of it - thank you... :)
damnage
Established Member

Post by damnage »

Well, after years, and I mean YEARS of working in Dream Studio, I've decided to abandon it. I'm downloading KXStudio 14.04 right now to give it a try. I had Ubuntu Studio 14.04 on this machine and I didn't care for it (didn't care for Xfce), but since I have so many PPA's from KXStudio already, it just seems logical to me to actually run the OS.

Thank you again, Falk. I appreciate it. What's weird is, running servers and whatnot in Fedora, when it comes to compiling things together - I'm cool and okay in Fedora, but I'm totally the opposite in Ubuntu. If it isn't in a PPA or packaged in a .deb file, I'm pretty much lost.

Anyway, I'm giving KXStudio a shot. My internet connection pretty much sucks, so it'll be a little while before the download completes. I'm also backing up files for migration.
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

damnage wrote:... running servers and whatnot in Fedora, when it comes to compiling things together - I'm cool and okay in Fedora...
Have you considered Planet CCRMA as an audio production environment ?

Best,

dp
damnage
Established Member

Post by damnage »

StudioDave wrote:
Have you considered Planet CCRMA as an audio production environment ?

Best,

dp
I seriously never heard of it until now. I'll check into it though. Thanks! :)
damnage
Established Member

Post by damnage »

Okay, KXStudio isn't for me. So now I'm trying Dave's suggestion of Planet CCRMA using Fedora 19. I'm going to try a build based on his model and hopefully I can get back to just making music. :)