Greetings from Boston

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jmhardin
Established Member

Greetings from Boston

Post by jmhardin »

I'm a former recording engineer from New Orleans, living in Boston since '89. I am a singer/songwriter who plays piano and guitar, with a little time behind drumkits, I don't do any gigging but have wanted to start laying down demos since I finally started learning how to play a Strat since COVID. I'm finally getting the gear together to start putting together my little home demo studio around a Scarlett Solo Studio and my Carry-on Folding Piano (49-key version). I'm looking forward to being able to share some of my little ditties with y'all.

bluebell
Established Member

Re: Greetings from Boston

Post by bluebell »

Welcome and have fun. Fortunately a Scarlett Solo has no software controllable internals, so it should work right out of the box with Linux.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

jmhardin
Established Member

Post by jmhardin »

Thanks. It works beautifully, although I'm trying to figure out the right configuration for MIDI. I'm also having to figure out why firing up JACK disables my audio chips, but that's a matter for another thread.

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

jmhardin wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:01 am

Thanks. It works beautifully, although I'm trying to figure out the right configuration for MIDI. I'm also having to figure out why firing up JACK disables my audio chips, but that's a matter for another thread.

jack and Pulseaudio use interfaces exclusively. jack can use one interface only, at least for a given direction (in or out). If you want to use more than one interface with jack see zalsa, e.g. jack_load zalsa_out -i "-d hw:USB"

jmhardin
Established Member

Post by jmhardin »

bluebell wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:07 pm

jack and Pulseaudio use interfaces exclusively. jack can use one interface only, at least for a given direction (in or out). If you want to use more than one interface with jack see zalsa, e.g. jack_load zalsa_out -i "-d hw:USB"

Thanks. I guess I either need to get used to rebooting more often than I do now or get a second laptop specifically for music production.

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

jmhardin wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:19 pm
bluebell wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:07 pm

Thanks. I guess I either need to get used to rebooting more often than I do now or get a second laptop specifically for music production.

Not needed. Pulseaudio can output via jack. See http://marzen.de/Holger/pulseaudio_and_jack/

Most soundcard drivers allow to change jack's buffer size on the fly. If not, jack can be restarted e.g. with qjackctl.