[SOLVED] How do I play Dore Mark's Yamaha S6

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: [SOLVED] How do I play Dore Mark's Yamaha S6

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Another late-addition to sfz that is really useful when you're experimenting with various sets of waves is the #include directive . This allows you to tell the player "I want you to read in the contents of another sfz text file right here".

It works just like a #include statement in C source code (which is why it looks exactly the same -- starting with a #).

And like in C, you follow the #include with the name of your second text file, in doublequotes:

Code: Select all

#include "My_Second_File.sfz"

That second sfz file should be in the same folder as your first

I haven't experimented with enough sfz players to make a statement about how many of them support naming multiple directories like so:

#include "My_Files\My_Second_File.sfz"

That's legal in the C language (although C uses a forward slash). And since this sfz addition mirrors the C statement, I would think that some player(s) probably supports it. But you'd best avoid using that feature.

So too, I can't make a statement about what happens if you precede the #include with a default_path. It's conceivable that a player may look for the other script there. But it seems just as likely to me that it would reserve default_path for your sample files only.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@amc252

I must be missing something 'cause I installed sfizz on Devuan and it only works from the command line in text mode. I don't see any GUI. Could you please explain how you get the GUI in the screenshot?

IIRC, sfizz doesn't have a GUI when run in standalone mode from the command line: the only GUI I've ever worked with is when using sfizz as an LV2 plugin (maybe VST2/VST3?) inside a DAW (Ardour, in my case).

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
amc252
Established Member

Post by amc252 »

I encountered the #include directive organized this way (I omitted all the other opcodes for clarity)

<control>
default_path=Samples/

<global>

<master>
#include "Data/group.txt"

<master>
#include "Data/release.txt"

<global>
#include "Data/effect.txt"

which allows to organize the extra SFZs in various directories.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

I'd avoid using <control> and <master> sections, These are not nearly as universally supported as <global>. And I believe that some players which support <master>, expect there to not be more than one use of it in an sfz. (After all, how can you have more than one master?)

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.