Tunestorm: composition with a haiku, deadline January 15th

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Nachei
Established Member

Tunestorm: composition with a haiku, deadline January 15th

Post by Nachei »

Sadly, the Open Source Musician podcast seems to have flaked out since last February; after proposing one of their Tunestorm competitions, the podcast seems to have had no continuity at all :(

I really enjoyed to listen to those un-competitions, as they called them, and was looking forward to participate in some of them in the future. I was wondering if somebody would be interested in closing that 'open loop' by creating the songs and submitting them as planned.

The premise this time was using a haiku in some way in the composition. It would be as simple as setting a deadline, and then the un-contestants posting in their links to the corresponding Soundcloud pages or whatever, ideally also with a few paragraphs commenting on the programs used, etc.

Maybe some of you even had your piece for the podcast already prepared, so the process could be even faster and neater. I would really love to see a new showcase of what you guys out there are doing with the tools, so please let me know if this appeals to you, and also if you think of a better way to develop it. Thank you. :)
Last edited by Nachei on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shimpe
Established Member

Re: Anybody care for an un-competition?

Post by shimpe »

I've made my contribution available on my youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5ESrKmCuV4
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Same here. It's getting time to do something instead of hitting Ctrl+F5 all the time.
Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

Great!!! :)

@Shimpe,

thank you for your contribution, I really enjoyed it. In spite of all the accidents and difficulties you explain in the description, it sounds very peaceful and soothing.

I also agree with the comments in there that the piece has a 'medieval' vibe; I think those 'R's' have something to do with it; they made me think of the way some madrigal records in my collection are sung (I listen to all kind of stuff).

I've recently started to use Zynnaddsubfx; did you edit the instruments or used some from some premade library?

@All,

great! As a first proposal, given that December is such a complicated month, I suggest January 15th as the deadline. That gives a good 2 weeks' rest before the RPM Challenge LOL!

OTOH, a podcast is not a forum thread, so maybe we don't even need a deadline, just dropping here our stuff... but I think it gives a bit of structure to the whole thing.

Anyways, if you have a different idea, just show it in here.

Thank you all guys, I'm going to grab my haiku...
Smeefer
Established Member

Post by Smeefer »

I would love to un-compete. However, I think there should be more rules and guidelines that can help me and others get involved in this. Should we recite the haiku and record it with a mic if we have one? If not, can we type the haiku into a video production of the song, say, on vimeo? Are there any limitations or requirements in terms of the instruments, software, hardware that we use? What about a song length limit or requirement? Can i make a 11 second track for this? Etc.

That would be fun to make this a big event that we all take part in...on this website. Stuff like this to bring us together as linux audio people.
www.camversion.org/music-smeefer <--listen to Smeefer's music!
www.camversion.org/music-smeefer-collabs <--listen to Smeefer's music with vocalists.
www.camversion.org/smeefers-blog <--read Smeefer's blah blah blog!
shimpe
Established Member

Post by shimpe »

@nachei: Thanks for listening and commenting :) I used presets included with lmms; i may have added an effect in audacity afterwards, i don't remember
(but i mostly used audacity to fix synchronization problems between the voices and to remove the worst breathing)
Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

Hey guys, sorry I could not reply before

@Shimpe

You're welcome. Thank you for the details on Zyn; I'm a newcomer to it and sometimes it takes me some tweaking to avoid a certain 'Fisher Price' feel in my synth parts. I guess I have a lot to explore yet. For example, using effects through other programs via the power of Jack.

@Smeefer

Completely agree, the point of an event like this should be bringing together the linux audio people.

The podcast for me was a celebration of human creativity, and the power that these amazing FREE tools allows us, a power that a few decades ago was costly and reserved to an elite.

Sticking to the spirit of the podcast as much as possible, I think it would be nice to keep the rules to a bare minimum in order to allow as much people as possible in.The previous Tunestorms kept things very open (for example, "making a piece with sampled household items", how open is that?).

All of the possibilities you mention are very interesting and I can't wait to see what you come up with; but they sound to me more like the kind of 'rules' that stem from any creative process: the creator, knowing it or not, sets a series of impositions on himself, and then plays with them; the way in which he acknowledges, overcomes, ignores, rewrites, reverts or even violate them along the way, is what makes a piece interesting. (Of course this is highly subjective).

The baseline is: 'doing some stuff with open source programs'. And even that rule, if my memory serves me right, was allowed some partial exceptions in the Podcast.

Anyways, like Groucho said, 'these are my principles, and if you don't like them, I have others'... :P

@FalTX

I'm not sure music theory is even desirable; in my experience, sometimes it can even be a hurdle for creativity and experimentation.

Thanks btw for all your work, coming from a coding challenged person. I think, in your condition of 'toy maker', you're twice invited to play here... :)
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

Yes I think this would be fun. I would be willing to maybe to some work on a formal site for this, and help come up with future ideas for competitions. Either way, count me in!
Alwaysanewb
Established Member

Post by Alwaysanewb »

What is an un-compitition? I'm guessing you have had them before but if you couldn't tell by my name I ain't been around long enough :lol:
Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

Hey Alwaysnewb! Uncompetition is the name given at the Open Source Musician Podcast http://www.opensourcemusician.com/index.php/Main_Page to a periodic event in which they set a premise and a deadline, and people sent their songs/sounds made with open software. Calling it uncompetition was a nice way to remark that there was no 'winner', only the pleasure of listening to a big heap of music of all kinds, from all people (it was also called 'Tunestorm'), made with great free -on both meanings- software. It seems the podcast is no more, so we are trying to complete the last un-competition that was proposed.

So now you know, I hope you join us too!

Hey, I2productions, I'm glad to see there's more people interested. And of course, when this un-competition is over, I'm open to any kind of crazy proposals for a new one, if there's enough people interested in it!

So, summarizing a bit, and please somebody correct or modify if something's wrong:

Premises:
======
*Using a haiku in some way in the piece
*Using Linux tools
*Deadline - January 15th
*Presentation format - post a link to some audible resource on this thread

I've already started mine, it's kind of a joke and I'm having a blast... I hope you people enjoy your experience too, and share it here when your ready... take care!
Last edited by Nachei on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nachei
Established Member

Re: Tunestorm: composition with a haiku, deadline January 15

Post by Nachei »

Should this be a requirement? I though the idea was about Linux tools.
Some people, including me, love Renoise. I've used it in a previous Tunestorm.
Very cool with me. Item changed. :)
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

I got us a domain for future use.

http://uncompete.co.nf

Only have a basic wordpress started. Will get it pretty, and useful by January 15, so we can start new monthly/bi-monthly competitions!
philwx
Established Member

Post by philwx »

An un-competition? You crazy linux people. I knew it was a good, albeit somewhat painfull, move to ditch windows. It'll be a an excellent way for me to actually do some recording rather than searching xrun solutions.

Just to be clear - is it a piece of music that references a haiku to be completed by the 15th Jan? Is that it?
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

philwx wrote:An un-competition? You crazy linux people. I knew it was a good, albeit somewhat painfull, move to ditch windows. It'll be a an excellent way for me to actually do some recording rather than searching xrun solutions.

Just to be clear - is it a piece of music that references a haiku to be completed by the 15th Jan? Is that it?
Using linux tools is the only other requiremnt. Have fun, and enjoy, I hope we have a lot of submissions so this can continue!
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

I just finished (or gave up) doing a better mix of my entry for the podcast deadline last year. Back in the OSMP glory days they wanted everyone to submit before sharing, such that everyone hears all the pieces for the first time when they listen to the reveal show. Do you want that or should I just post the link now?

Personally I would love to have the podcast back so if someone were willing to combine all the entries with some commentary... we'd have at least one more show. I think it would show better contrast and breadth of the talent using Linux than just having links trickle in as people finish them. Though it would be nice to also allow people to submit later in case newcomers feel inspired by the tunestorm stuff and want to contribute and be heard. Perhaps a "virtual album" of sorts could be made for each tunestorm, and late entries could just be added to the collection. Just my few regrettably-late-night thoughts.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!