Three Walls Down

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Three Walls Down

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

This is an original tune kind of adapted from a jam done with Ardour3 and a Presonus 1818VSL, it features my son on drums and I did the rest... a fun Sunday afternoon project..

https://soundcloud.com/glen-macarthur
StudioDave
Established Member

Re: Three Walls Down

Post by StudioDave »

Hey Glenn, sweet track ! Must be nice to have a real drummer in the house. :)

Best,

dp
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

That's gorgeous! Dude, I've gotta say that you're my favourite artist from all the folks on this forum. Great song, great sound. Very, very impressive.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Thanks for listening guys! Alex you're making me blush... :oops: seriously though I think we have a really great variety of artists here which keeps things interesting and fresh. It's always cool to see (and hear) different perspectives and workflows as well as the different applications used to arrive at the final product...
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

GMaq wrote:done with Ardour3 and a Presonus 1818VSL
So how many ins and outs does your interface really have? According to pics on the Internet, it has only 8 inputs. Where are other 10? I'm thinking about buying it, but it's important to me to have 10+ inputs since I gonna try live drumkit recording. Currently I'm stuck with DrumGizmo, but it's not enough in some cases.

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Yep I don't completely understand the '18' either... It has 8 combined 1/4" XLR inputs and 8 outputs + SPDIF.. It's possible that some of the 18 are virtual since these units come with a bunch of proprietary DSP that only works with the Windows drivers.. Although on the right system as you can see work can get done with a VSL1818 I would caution anyone on Linux abouts these though for several reasons:

*Note these are my own experiences with the VSL on a few different machines
- The latency performance is quite poor (ie 1024fpp+) unless you use an RT Kernel
- These units will occasionally just stop streaming audio with JACK, not often... but enough to be annoying
- The headphone output doesn't work unless you manually route the Audio to outputs 7/8 with Qjackctl or patchage
- Many new computers with USB-3 have very poor audio performance with USB-2 Audio devices in general including the VSL
- The VSL1818 seems to be quite sensitive to USB chipsets in general, for example the VSL works OK for me on an older laptop, however my son has a slightly newer laptop (not with USB-3) and the VSL is too flaky to even use at all and we are using the same kernel/OS, I would say he has a USB hardware problem but he uses a Scarlett 2i2 with no issues at all...
- There is no hardware direct monitoring so you have to manually connect your inputs to the outputs in a JACK patchbay to fake hardware monitoring

To be honest I kind of regret buying the 1818VSL... I have a bruised and battered old Mackie mixer with firewire option that actually works MUCH better with Linux, it is rack-mounted and not very portable and it quite often is buried in an equipment trailer fors gigs so I hoped the 1818VSL would be a much better portable option that could just stay set up in my small studio but there's just enough flakiness and caveats that the 1818VSL is a bit of a buzzkill...

Just tellin' it like it is.. YMMV :wink:
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

Glen, thanks a lot for your reply. You just prevented me from making a big mistake. Seems that RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652 is the best choice in such cases. BTW, did you ever try any FireWire Presonus interfaces under Linux? Or maybe you know other good 10+ channel interface? Internet search gives lots of models and almost all of the specs and barely any data about Linux support.

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

They are getting hard to find but the original Presonus Firepods (not the newer FireStudio models) work very well with Linux and up to 3 can be daisy-chained together to make more channels, the guy who builds the kernels for AV Linux does this, I used to use 2 M-Audio 1010LT PCI cards tied together with a SPDIF cable for 16 channels in 'pcm_multi' mode which worked OK at the time but is a lot of cable routing compared to FireWire or USB-2... Other than my Mackie I haven't had a lot of personal experience with FireWire devices but the AudioFire models are also quite popular on my forum but I don't know if they daisy-chain or not...

The RME stuff is top shelf, mostly well supported on Linux, but of course is expensive, but then so is buying the wrong device or a device that doesn't meet your expectations...
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Sounds live and fresh as if played in a club. Very good.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

artek
Established Member

Post by artek »

nice blues, I would try to pan blues harp :)
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Thanks for the comments guys! We are working on a new version to tighten up a few areas.. good suggestion on panning the harp, thanks!
Riddemtronic
Established Member

Post by Riddemtronic »

Very nice, am listening to "Can't Find My Way Home" now. You have a wonderful sound, no bull, good punch and all around very enjoyable.
Buenisimo amigo!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Thanks Riddemtronic!

BTW there is a completely new redo of Three Walls Down put up now, playing it live brought in some new ideas and my friend Pete contributed a great bass track..