does JackAss send Midi Clock?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tatch
Established Member

does JackAss send Midi Clock?

Post by tatch »

I'm playing around with a dual-computer setup with my friend running JACK on OS X as host underneath Ableton Live and me slaved with netJACK on my linuxtop. So far it's been working surprisingly well with very few xruns; the main issue is that we haven't been able to figure out how to sync the two computers. Ideally Live would follow JACK Transport and be the timebase master but it doesn't do that so the next best thing could be to just shoot MIDI Clock through netJACK (alternatively would it be possible to use MIDI Clock to start/stop JACK transport? That would be neat but I think you'd also need MTC which Live doesn't output...) but I can't figure out how to connect Live's MIDI to JACK-MIDI. I read around that JACK OSX is supposed to automatically bridge IAC MIDI with JACK-MIDI but I still couldn't figure out how to make it work.

So does JackAss send Midi Clock?
StudioDave
Established Member

Re: does JackAss send Midi Clock?

Post by StudioDave »

Hey tatch,

I checked it out with Bitwig 1.0.11, got no joy, but that may be due to a bug in recent releases of BW. Note events pass without problems, but no MIDI clock events were logged by qmidiarp.

HTH,

dp
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

falkTX wrote:no, JackAss plugin does not send MIDI-Clock.
it could in theory be used as jack-transport master, but it would be one-way only (bitwig controlling transport, nothing controlling bitwig).
not sure if this would be useful...

bitwig should really support jack-transport if it wants to play nicely with other jack tools.
I read somewhere that bitwig actually is planning on jack-transport support in a future release, but my tool in question is ableton live (on osx). I think your theoretical case in this scenario actually sounds exactly like what I want, as Live is the only app running on the host machine which in turn controls the transport. How much time do you think would it take to implement this?
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

hey falktx just wondering about the status of this since carla2-beta3 has come out now.
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

both would be ideal but I would consider jack transport a priority. thanks
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

I know, it's OT in this thread, but I like to say I've just added MIDI BEAT CLOCK and JACK TRANSPORT (slave only) support to guitarix.
The MIDI BEAT CLOCK is good to sync bpm settings, but the start/stop/continue messages are more or less miserable compared to jack transport.
On the road again.
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

hey falktx, I saw you've been working a bit on JackAss and was wondering if you got around to implementing jack transport/midi clock control yet