My KxStudio has lost it's mind

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Product
Established Member

My KxStudio has lost it's mind

Post by Product »

Linux Musicians,

I have an interesting problem and I'm hoping that this post lends itself to finding a solution. I recently purchased a 1 terabyte hard drive. So I wanted to install KxStudio on it, but when I did the OS seemed to lose it's mind. After the install there was no sound. When I opened Claudia it listed that Jack was started but 'Realtime was NO', that pulseaudio was not installed. I've been using KxS. for about a year and this has never happened to me before, therefore I haven't a clue as to how to fix this problem.

Has anyone seen this before in any new installs?? I took the new hard drive out and put the old one in just to see if it would work and yes it works. The problem is Kx was installed on this hard drive on another machine, so I was thinking that a clean install on this machine, it was going to run on would make the video better (certain games didn't like the video, seemed to work 'funny' if at all). The last machine had a video card, this machine has onboard video. Thought that might make a difference, but since this drive works and the other is a mystery - I'm sort of at a lose. Any suggestions that might give me a clue or at least a direction to work in would be greatly appreciated.
Scary Hallo
Established Member

Re: My KxStudio has lost it's mind

Post by Scary Hallo »

Check the following:
Go to Cadence --> config: See if jack is started with the correct soundcard.
Go to terminal and type 'alsmixer' --> Check if all output faders are up.
Product
Established Member

Post by Product »

Scary,

Many thanks - I tried the former and set jack to the generic sound from the A10. i used synaptic to install pulse audio. The install didn't do it?? None of these things produced a solution. Claudia (ha, my wife's name) says realtime = no, pulse audio still will not start. I did not check the Alsa mixer or the pulseaudio volume control. Guess that wouldn't hurt, but why isn't it running in realtime???

Many years ago WinDoze would run funny if given too much space. Perhaps I should partition the terabyte drive and re-install.

Put the drive back in as secondary/slave. Mounted it and can look at the entire install, maybe it's a linux thing and I can change a file or two and get it working??

Anyway, my wife is German. I'm studying German aber mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut. More like non-existent, but I'm workin' on it.

Appreciated and any other ideas or suggestions are very much welcome....
Scary Hallo
Established Member

Post by Scary Hallo »

You dont't need claudia in the first place (until your problems are solved).
An easy way to make your audo setup is the tool 'cadence'. (Or maybe qjackctl)
Go to cadence:
Is jack running? You can see this in the upper right corner. If not start it.
Product
Established Member

Post by Product »

Oh d*mn, sorry I meant Cadence. Claudia is good for some set-ups, but it was Cadence that I meant. Right Claudia is not it. Yes all of the things I'm noting are from Cadence. I looked into Jack from cadence - tried to start pulseaudio from cadence - etc.. Wife keeps coming into my office with one 'crisis' or the other - must of thrown off concentration!!

I checked the numbers codes just to make sure I downloaded the right iso - that checked out. I could re-install, easy enuff - but might have the same problem.
Scary Hallo
Established Member

Post by Scary Hallo »

You also don't need pulseaudio in the first place.
Maybe make a simple check. Start a simple jackaware player (e.g. audacious) an connect the outputs with your system outsputs (use catia).
start some mp3 in the player. Can you hear anything?
Product
Established Member

Post by Product »

Well perhaps you are right. But without pulse audio I have been unable to hear youtube or anything that is running audio thru the browser. At the moment I need to capture youtube audio. It is a puzzle!
Product
Established Member

Post by Product »

Okay - I wanted to completely check out your (Scary Hallo's) sugestions. So I updated grub and booted into the install. Yes there's sound in a media player and there's sound coming out of the browser. But in my last install unless pulseaudio was bridged there was no sound in browser? Plus I looked closer at Cadence and what it is saying is Jack is not running in real-time mode. Why I don't know. So I did an install of a graphic intense game - one that wouldn't run on the other HD. And it did indeed run and everything seems to be working - except real-time in Jack and pulse audio. Guess things are changing.

Thanks for taking the time and consideration to help. It proved to be very good, kept me doggin' the problem.
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

It sounds like your user account is not in the audio group.
Also KX doesn't need to run Pulse Audio as the Alsa to Jack bridge will give you sound from the browser, etc
Product
Established Member

Post by Product »

Hi, thanks for your input,

Yes I un-installed pulseaudio and I can still get sound. However re-installing pulse and changing some code got rid of most of the stuttering. But the drops are still there and sometime they effect the video. I'm tempted to try a vanilla ubuntu install for games and multi-media. KXStudio runs so well on the other drive. Like I said it's a puzzle - but with the ability to get into the operating system it might be solvable. But - who know!!??
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

You might compare the /etc/fstab files, in case the drive type triggered different
drive setting defaults.

Also compare /etc/security/limits.conf on the two drives.

Video issues you could ask at a ubuntu forum of that topic,
it's pretty complex, with many options. Give them lots of
chipset info from the motherboard docs, and, google
your video chipset and ubuntu, and common issues will appear.

A fresh install done on the drive in the machine that will host it,
will be the best option. A 30 gig root partition, a gig or two for swap space,
and the rest partitioned as /home will be good. If in the future, a reinstall is needed,
of the same type of linux, choose not to reformat /home, thus keeping personal settings and data intact.
Cheers
Product
Established Member

Post by Product »

Glowak,

That is great advice. I think I've heard variation of the format you mention before, but you put it very succinctly. I will use that in the future.

Here's what happened, as I no longer have any problems - what so ever. There's a word and a number (tsched=0) when added to the default.pa after an executable that
stop all stuttering. But one must have pulse audio running and bridged for this to work. So after un-installing pulseaudio I re-installed it and put that code in and viola
no stuttering. But I was still getting drops, so I was told (thks Scary hallo) that those could be caused by a wireless connection. So I went hard-wire and cancelled the wireless, yup the drops stopped. But the setting in Cadence could not be set exactly as they were on the other drive. Now, after some updates the settings in cadence arranged themselves to be exactly the same as the other drive. Parts that were ghosted are not now and the appropriate boxes are checked (appropriate in mimicking the setting from the first drive).

Let me say that I believe in magic. But not so much in computer science!! It leaves me with a few questions. If pulse isn't needed why is it installed and a bridge is written for it?? How did re-installing pulse and adding a line to some code stop stuttering?? Is there an issue with the real-time setting in jack?? How did the new install wind up with the same setting as the first drive?? I had tried to manually enter them and it didn't work??

Oh well - I have a luv/hate relationship w/ puzzles. But they are intriguing. However, the best thing is KXStudio is running just about perfectly!!