KXstudio and Linux Mint

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

i2productions
Established Member

KXstudio and Linux Mint

Post by i2productions »

So, before I get to my problem, let me just say kxstudio has been my fav audio distro! I have been using the 10.04.3 kde distro for a few months now, and I've been very impressed. It has more features and ease of setup than anything else I've used(tried ubuntu studio and av linux.) I really like the new focus on upgrading from PPA's(not quite as convienient, but more freedom.)
The website says it should work with any flavor of ubuntu including Linux Mint. I have had no success in getting it to work with either Mint 10 or the new Mint 11rc. I had slightly more success with the stable 10, but on both I got as far as doing the "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade", and as soon as I try to install the desktop I can't get anywhere. Now after reading other parts of the page. Do I have to use kde mint since I'm not using buntu 11.04(cause I really don't like kde.) Mint is absolutely my favorite all around distro, but I mainly work on audio and I would REALLY like to get this to work. (I tried ubuntu 11.04, and did the kxstudio upgrade with NO problems. But in general, I am very unimpressed with 11.04. It crashed completely 5 times, the first night I tested it. I left windows to get away from the BSOD!)
Again thanks for getting all this audio goodness in one place, and keep up the great work!
i2productions
Established Member

Re: KXstudio and Linux Mint

Post by i2productions »

As stated above there are issues. I'll run you through the steps that I have gotten through. Step 1, seems to have no issues, the ppa activates and shows up in package manager. Step 2, the dist-upgrade also appears to go through without issue. It's once you get to step 3, installing the kxstudio desktop that everything goes awry. (I have mint currently uninstalled until I can get this resolved, so I'm giving you what I remember, not an exact error message.) I do the sudo apt-get install kxstudio-desktop-gnome, and it tells me that the package will not be downloaded because it requires kxstudio-desktop, and it won't be downloaded. I did the entire install in terminal, just as I did in ubuntu 11.04, and am stopped at step 3 in both mint 10, and mint 11rc. Thanks for responding and keep up the great work for us linux musicians!
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

I did try to skip step 3, and I don't remember what the error was with installing the meta packages, but it wouldn't even download. I will reinstall on another computer and try again. If I still get errors I will post it here. While we are on the topic of bugs though, is there any reason my ladi session handler won't launch in ubuntu 11.04? I worked fine on the same machine on the old 10.04.3 distro. It's not a major issue for me, as there are many session handlers to choose from, but I was starting to enjoy it. Thanks again for the quick response, you rock man!
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

As promised, here is the terminal response to Steps 3 and 4 of kxstudio upgrade on mint 10. I think until this has been further tested, you should remove from your main webpage the notion that this will work.

Step 3

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
kxstudio-desktop-gnome : Depends: kxstudio-desktop but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: language-selector-gnome but it is not installable
E: Broken packages

Step 4

Building dependency tree
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
kxstudio-meta-audio : Depends: jack-capture but it is not installable
Depends: jack-keyboard but it is not installable
Depends: jack-mixer but it is not installable
Depends: ladish but it is not installable or
ladish-git but it is not installable
Depends: laditools but it is not installable or
laditools-git but it is not installable
Recommends: kxstudio-meta-audio-plugins but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: klaudia but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: pulse-jack but it is not installable
Recommends: ardourvst-32bit but it is not installable or
ardourprovst-32bit but it is not installable
Recommends: ingen but it is not installable or
ingen-svn but it is not installable
E: Broken packages

I hope this helps.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

I did the upgrade test on a fresh install on Linux Mint 10(64 bit.) It is based on 10.10(They follow the release of ubuntu closely, Mint 11 coresponding to 11.04 is due before the end of the month.) Here are the contents of the file you wanted:

DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=julia
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 10 Julia"
Last edited by i2productions on Tue May 24, 2011 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

I am wrong also, Mint 10 is based on 10.10, not 10.04.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

Not sure if you have applied the fix yet, but I started with step 2 again, and I'm still get the same error with steps 3 and 4. I really do appreciate your help, and supporting your wonderful audio upgrades and distros!
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

It'll be a few hours before the final verdict is in, but the repos synced with the normal 'sudo apt-get install kxstudio-repos' command. The dist-upgrade downloaded new packages from the kxstudio server. And now I'm currently waiting on the kxstudio-desktop-gnome to complete(it'll be awhile.) Once everything is installed and tested I will post back. One last question though. When Mint 11 is released(in the next week, in theory), is all you will need the contents of /etc/lsb-release again to make it enabled? Thanks for all your help, you are truely amazing!
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

I can now say that KXStudio work 100% with Linux Mint 10(64-bit!) All the steps for regular ubuntu work great. I only downloaded audio apps, and not the meta-all, but I actually found that some things that didn't work in ubuntu 11.04 upgrade to KXStudio(namely ladi session handler) worked just fine. I didn't test out optional kernels, but I did test out various synths, fx, and imported an ardour project the loaded right up and played perfect! Thanks again for working so hard on KXStudio, and my specific problem.

P.S.Just repeating question from above post. When Mint 11 is released any day now, is all you need the contents of /etc/lsb-release to enable it?
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

If there wasn't currently a PPA bug in the 11rc, I would test it now, but I'll wait for the official. And 11 is "Katya"
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

Ok, so I was really excited that I installed this without a hitch on my media center PC. So, I just did the exact same thing with my actual studio computer. Most everything worked, but there are a few hangups. To start with, kxstudio-welcome did not download, as well as a few other things that had updated on my other pc. Firefox 3 was not overwritten by Firefox 4. All of the audio meta packages did install. Once curious thing however, is that I cannot change the sample rate in Qjackctl. It auto starts at 48k, and go into setup, as usual, and change down to 44.1k, save my changes, stop the jack audio server. When it starts again, it is still at 48k. And I come to find out, that if I stop the jack server and close Qjackctl, when I open it back up, it's active again. Wierd bugs, and I don't know why. I used the same install disk of mint 10(64-bit). I followed the same kxstudio upgrade procedure.

Edit:Firefox did upgrade to 4, but I didn't realize it til I checked the version. It still looks like 3, file, edit, view menu at the top, and bookmark quick links. How can this be?
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

And for some reason I can't download the kxstudio-meta-non-free package. It downloaded on the first Mint 10 computer I tested it on. Not a big deal, cause I really don't use much of the non-free stuff anyway.(I don't understand why people like Reaper so much?) Other than that everything is working great.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

Just wanted to give an update. With the release of Mint 11 last night, I did the setup with the same results. Pretty much everything works. Still can't download kxstudio-non-free packages(again no big deal though.) And the kxstudio welcome screen has to be manually launched from admin. Other than that, gobs of audio goodness!
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

I think both issues have a common problem. The last 4 lines come up in every terminal install from step 3 down. The weirdest part is, when I installed this initially on my test machine(mint 10), all of the packages installed correctly and the welcome screen came up upon first boot. But I'm having these problems on my laptop that I use for audio work. Here is the terminal response the trying to install kxstudio-meta-non-free:

Building dependency tree
kxstudio-meta-non-free is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
4 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Setting up kxstudio-default-settings (3.0~git20110524-0~natty1) ...
touch: cannot touch `/var/kxstudio/theme-setup': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing kxstudio-default-settings (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kxstudio-welcome:
kxstudio-welcome depends on kxstudio-default-settings; however:
Package kxstudio-default-settings is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing kxstudio-welcome (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kxstudio-desktop:
kxstudio-desktop depends on kxstudio-default-settings; however:
Package kxstudio-default-settings is not configured yet.
kxstudio-desktop depends on kxstudio-welcome; however:
Package kxstudio-welcome is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing kxstudio-desktop (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kxstudio-desktop-gnome:
kxstudio-desktop-gnome depends on kxstudio-desktop; however:
Package kxstudio-desktop is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing kxstudio-desktop-gnome (--configure):
No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
Errors were encountered while processing:
kxstudio-default-settings
kxstudio-welcome
kxstudio-desktop
kxstudio-desktop-gnome
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

should cadence be showing up in Klaudia? it doesn't even show up in my menu. I have to launch it via terminal.