no sound from youtube or cd after using jack

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

hlblyhipy
Established Member

no sound from youtube or cd after using jack

Post by hlblyhipy »

Hi,noob here and need help.I have installed ubuntu studio 14.04 with kx repos installed everything was fine after the computer was all set up.Started using ardour jack hydrogen and yushimi.And everything went well.I also was able to listen to music from the internet and from cd.But after closing all app and restarting ,I know have no sound from youtube or cds.I have tried to kill pulse and restart,I have also followed a few posts with no luck.Any help would be greatly appreciated
bluebell
Established Member

Re: no sound from youtube or cd after using jack

Post by bluebell »

There are many ways how to solve the "race for the soundcard". I chose the following one:

1.) Use the jack output driver if your clients have one, eg. Clementine audio player
2.) Configure Pulseaudio to use the jack output sink
3.) Redirect ALSA-Clients to jack

I describe Actions 2 and 3 in http://www.marzen.de/Holger/pulseaudio_and_jack/

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

gazpacho
Established Member

Re: no sound from youtube or cd after using jack

Post by gazpacho »

Without using pulseaudio, to have a non jack app send audio to jack choose the Loopback card included in kxstudio to be used.
You start cadence, start jack, then under "Alsa audio" choose Bridge type: "ALSA->loop->jack" and click on start. Now any program using loopback card goes to jack output.
To listen to youtube or anything sounding within firefox (or recording it) you send firefox audio to Loopback card, just start firefox typing in a terminal:

Code: Select all

ALSA_CARD=Loopback firefox 
If you open catia you will see sound comes out from alsa2jack and is wired into alsa_pcm (jack's output). The benefit of this is that you can now insert any jack tool in between like a calf 8 band equalizer to enhance the sound, or wire it to anything.
jackcalf.png
jackcalf.png (74.29 KiB) Viewed 893 times