language settings in Qt applications

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

karm
Established Member

language settings in Qt applications

Post by karm »

Hello,

I have this little but very annoying problem with Qt applications in Unity... they are translated to polish despite the fact my system is in english. I even uninstalled polish completely but id doesn't help. There are no language settings in "Qt 4 Settings". Googling for qt + language + settings + ubuntu returns garbage. How can I resolve this?

Thank you in advance.
Only birds fly first class
Archlinux on desktop pc.
karm
Established Member

Re: language settings in Qt applications

Post by karm »

Well... this is indeed very strange, because your apps work great (they are Qt based right?) but Muse and Rosegarden are partially translated to polish. It wouldn't be half bad if they were translated. I can understand polish since I am polish. The problem is, these translations are very poor and hurt my eyes.

I did what you suggested and these are the results:

Code: Select all

mks@shi-emperor:~$ muse
LOCALE pl_PL
My /etc/default/locale:

Code: Select all

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LANGUAGE="en"
LC_NUMERIC="pl_PL.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="pl_PL.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="pl_PL.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="pl_PL.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="pl_PL.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="pl_PL.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="pl_PL.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="pl_PL.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="pl_PL.UTF-8"
This does not affect all Qt apps. Is it possible they were compiled in some weird way?
Archlinux on desktop pc.
tux99
Established Member

Post by tux99 »

karm wrote:Well... this is indeed very strange, because your apps work great (they are Qt based right?) but Muse and Rosegarden are partially translated to polish. It wouldn't be half bad if they were translated. I can understand polish since I am polish. The problem is, these translations are very poor and hurt my eyes.
If you are a Polish Muse and Rosegarden user and found that the translations are bad, then maybe you could help out and improve those translations. We get the software for free so we should help out when we can!
See here:
http://muse-sequencer.org/index.php/TranslateMusE
http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/wiki/tra ... ranslation

You don't need any programming skills for that only Polish and English language skills. If you have questions or problems just contact the developers on their mailing list and they will help you.
karm
Established Member

Post by karm »

tux99 wrote:
karm wrote:Well... this is indeed very strange, because your apps work great (they are Qt based right?) but Muse and Rosegarden are partially translated to polish. It wouldn't be half bad if they were translated. I can understand polish since I am polish. The problem is, these translations are very poor and hurt my eyes.
If you are a Polish Muse and Rosegarden user and found that the translations are bad, then maybe you could help out and improve those translations. We get the software for free so we should help out when we can!
See here:
http://muse-sequencer.org/index.php/TranslateMusE
http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/wiki/tra ... ranslation

You don't need any programming skills for that only Polish and English language skills. If you have questions or problems just contact the developers on their mailing list and they will help you.
I am not a Muse neither Rosegarden user. I would like to try these programs to see if they fit my needs. I agree with your point on helping in development of a program. However, I do not use polish interfaces at all and I think they are obsolete since knowledge needed to understand what such a program does is hardly available in polish so in the end you have to learn english anyway.
Archlinux on desktop pc.