Jack not finding M-Audio Fast Track device

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Pablo
Established Member

Re: Jack not finding M-Audio Fast Track device

Post by Pablo »

I see, this is a very different problem.

If you can still open a terminal, you should monitor the space usage with df and du. For example:

df -h

will give you a general view of the filesystems and available space. Did you install ubuntu in too small a partition?

On the other hand, for example with

du -hc --max-depth=1

You will see the size of the directories in your home. You can increase the --max-depth or remove it altogether to see all folders and subfolders, but in this case you need pipe the output to "more" or "less" to allow backward and forward movement through the lines. For example:

du -hc | less

Once you find some culprit huge file(s) you would like to delete, use rm (use with caution):

rm ~/path/to/the/file
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

aeb105 wrote:Its telling me hard drive out of space. I have deleted all things and emptied my trash and it still is not registering. I am out of space now and can't run programs.
'kdirstat' is also a great way of finding out what's filling up your disk space... assuming you still have room to install it, of course :/
adempewolff
Established Member

Post by adempewolff »

Hi aeb105,

I just bought a M-audio Fast Track Pro and am happy to report that with it works fairly well** with minimal modification with Tango Linux using the pre-compiled RT kernel they offer. If you still aren't having any luck with AV-Linux and/or Ubuntu and want to give Tango Studio a try, I can walk you through the steps I used to make it work.

If you want to keep on trying with AV-Linux though I can also see how much I can help you. Once you have a kernel patched for the fast track pro (which theoretically should include any kernel above 3.1) the second biggest problem is getting the two devices that ALSA recognises on the card merged into one. You can do this in two places: /etc/modprobe.d/fast-track-pro.conf and ~/.asoundrc

Why don't you check to see if you have either of these files and post the output here if so.

cat /etc/modprobe.d/fast-track-pro.conf

cat ~/.asoundrc

**As for Tango Studio, here's still one little bug with my configuration I'm trying to work out (but I'm going to make another post rather than hijack yours :wink: ) but it essentially just means you have to restart Linux if you've power the device on and off--not a huge deal but I'm very lazy...
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Thanks all. I actually booted to AVLinux LIve and was able to delete a bunch of those files by selecting view hidden and then deleting them. The was another trash was hidden 001.Trash. As far as the hd goes I am going to grab all the data and install AVLInux as it seems most friendly so far.

adempewolff,

I am going to install AVlinux first as I have liked the Live version so far. But here is the output of the commands you asked. My biggest next challenge after installing will be to get Rackarack and Ardour up and running off the input of this soundcard. Right now it was reading "System" instead of M-audio Pro.

tom@tom-System-Product-Name:~$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/fast-track-pro.conf
cat: /etc/modprobe.d/fast-track-pro.conf: No such file or directory

tom@tom-System-Product-Name:~$ cat ~/.asoundrc
cat: /home/tom/.asoundrc: No such file or directory
adempewolff
Established Member

Post by adempewolff »

okay, well that definitely at least part of your problem. first follow these steps from Joe Giampaoli's tutorial:

(put a "sudo" before all the commands he lists)
I have placed the file on the server for you to download.

Click here to download it.

Now cd with your terminal (still as root) where you saved it and do:

chown root fast-track-pro.conf

chgrp root fast-track-pro.conf

mv fast-track-pro.conf /etc/modprobe.d

You can open and read the file for how to set up the Fast Track to run above 48KHz or enabling the Digital ins/outs. Just make sure to follow the instructions in the file and unload and reload the kernel usb-sound module while Fast Track pro is powered off or it won't work.
Next we want to modify the config file he wrote a little bit to merge the two devices into one (credit to yomguy for this trick) .

gksudo gedit /etc/modprob.d/fast-track-pro.conf

at the bottom you should see something like this:

Code: Select all

# CONFIGURATION LINES:

options	snd_usb_audio	vid=0x763 pid=0x2012 device_setup=0x9 index=5 enable=1

#options	snd_usb_audio	vid=0x763 pid=0x2012 device_setup=0x5 index=5 enable=1

#options	snd_usb_audio	vid=0x763 pid=0x2012 device_setup=0x13 index=5 enable=1
Comment out (add an "#" before) the uncommented "options..." and add this new line:

options snd-usb-audio index=2,3 vid=0x46d,0x763 pid=0x81d,0x2012 device_setup=0x00,0x9 enable=1,1

It should look like this afterwards:

# CONFIGURATION LINES:

options snd-usb-audio index=2,3 vid=0x46d,0x763 pid=0x81d,0x2012 device_setup=0x00,0x9 enable=1,1

#options	snd_usb_audio	vid=0x763 pid=0x2012 device_setup=0x9 index=5 enable=1

Save changes, then try copying my settings for jack in the picture below.
Screenshot-Setup - JACK Audio Connection Kit.png
Screenshot-Setup - JACK Audio Connection Kit.png (70.34 KiB) Viewed 1254 times
save/click okay, make sure the fast track pro is turned on and try starting the jack server. if it still doesn't work, reboot for good measure and try again. if it still isn't working post the Messages from jack.

Good luck!
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

adempewolff wrote:okay, well that definitely at least part of your problem. first follow these steps from Joe Giampaoli's tutorial:Click here to download it.

(put a "sudo" before all the commands he lists)
I have placed the file on the server for you to download.

Click here to download it.

Now cd with your terminal (still as root) where you saved it and do:

chown root fast-track-pro.conf

chgrp root fast-track-pro.conf

mv fast-track-pro.conf /etc/modprobe.d

You can open and read the file for how to set up the Fast Track to run above 48KHz or enabling the Digital ins/outs. Just make sure to follow the instructions in the file and unload and reload the kernel usb-sound module while Fast Track pro is powered off or it won't work.
Next we want to modify the config file he wrote a little bit to merge the two devices into one (credit to yomguy for this trick) .

gksudo gedit /etc/modprob.d/fast-track-pro.conf

at the bottom you should see something like this:

# CONFIGURATION LINES:

options	snd_usb_audio	vid=0x763 pid=0x2012 device_setup=0x9 index=5 enable=1

Comment out (add an "#" before) the uncommented "options..." and add this new line:

It should look like this afterwards:

# CONFIGURATION LINES:

#options	snd_usb_audio	vid=0x763 pid=0x2012 device_setup=0x9 index=5 enable=1

Save changes, then try copying my settings for jack in the picture below.
Screenshot-Setup - JACK Audio Connection Kit.png
save/click okay, make sure the fast track pro is turned on and try starting the jack server. if it still doesn't work, reboot for good measure and try again. if it still isn't working post the Messages from jack.

Good luck!

I can't access the file you placed in Google Docs, can I do this all without it?
adempewolff
Established Member

Post by adempewolff »

use this file instead and just copy and paste everything from above to the bottom configuration section. (note that he suggests you should right click/save as rather than copying and pasting) and follow the instructions above about how to change the permissions and move it to the right place.

Theoretically it will work as long as you have a file named fast-track-pro.conf in /etc/modprobe.d/ with the line below in it.

However I think its always good to keep the documentation with your config files so you don't get confused a couple years down the road when you come across them again.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Okay, Thanks. But, isn't AVlinux supposed to already be configured like this? I got Qjactl working, just trying to get Ardour and Rackarack to see either the Fastrack or Jack input.
adempewolff
Established Member

Post by adempewolff »

I've never used AV linux but most media distributions are tweaked so most of the audio settings everyone will need are already set up. As for adding configuration files that are only for one specific device (for which support was only very, very recently added to the kernel) you will generally have to do it yourself. the Fast Track is popular enough that I would wager in a year or so when these distributions are shipping with the 3.1< kernels that natively support the fast track they will add in all the little odds and ends. Personally, I've found that Tango Studio has about 98% of the tweaks I need already done--I only had to download the RT kernel they provided and that fastrack config file to get it working.

By saying that you got Qjackt working do you mean that it is working with the fastrack device? (maybe post the output of your messages log when you start it up and take screenshots of the settings and connect windows)

If so, it would be very, very strange for Ardour and other jack applications to not see jack (in fact, ardour doesn't even like starting up without seeing jack--it will start in a special mode).

Take note that inside jack your inputs and outputs won't be labelled Fast track pro, they will just be called something like system capture_1, system capture_2 etc. As long as you have the fast track selectedasthe input and output device in the settings, these system captures and outputs are from the fasttrack.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Okay, I understand, thanks. This all is still a bit daunting. I messed with Linux years back but forgot alot of stuff even the basic commands. As far as Ardour goes, maybe I just don't know how to use it yet, I can hear my guitar in AVlinux but when I go to record in Ardour, It doesn't playback. I just started playing with Audacity last week, and actually had it recording and playing back. Ardour doesn't give me playback. Rackarack doesn't alter the sound of my guitar with each patch or effect I select. When I checked out options it said everything is tied to the System or something and doesn't see input. Maybe your fix above will do it? Just want to be sure you have a clear picture of everything that is working or not. Here is the output you requested from Qjactl in AVlinux. Thanks for taking the time to help.

20:14:24.126 Patchbay deactivated.
20:14:24.133 Statistics reset.
20:14:24.172 ALSA connection change.
20:14:24.194 ALSA connection graph change.
20:14:38.927 JACK is starting...
20:14:38.927 /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -dhw:5 -r48000 -p1024 -n2
jackd 0.121.3
Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
20:14:38.938 JACK was started with PID=2617.
JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
loading driver ..
apparent rate = 48000
creating alsa driver ... hw:5|hw:5|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:5
ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for capture. Falling back to playback-only mode
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 24bit big-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
20:14:41.064 JACK connection change.
20:14:41.065 Server configuration saved to "/home/ron/.jackdrc".
20:14:41.065 Statistics reset.
20:14:41.297 Client activated.
20:14:41.299 Buffer size change (1024).
20:16:14.366 JACK connection graph change.
20:16:14.540 JACK connection change.
subgraph starting at flash timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=15, status = 0, state = Finished, pollret = 0 revents = 0x0)
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.114 msecs
20:18:32.080 XRUN callback (1).
20:19:00.126 Transport start.
20:19:01.888 Transport stop.
20:31:12.892 ALSA connection graph change.
20:31:12.921 ALSA connection change.
20:31:18.755 ALSA connection graph change.
20:31:18.925 ALSA connection change.
20:31:19.304 JACK connection graph change.
unknown source port in attempted connection [system:capture_1]
unknown source port in attempted connection [system:capture_1]
20:31:19.307 ALSA connection graph change.
20:31:19.327 JACK connection change.
20:31:19.328 ALSA connection change.
20:31:37.150 JACK connection graph change.
20:31:37.343 JACK connection change.
adempewolff
Established Member

Post by adempewolff »

I understand completely, the learning curve for linux can definitely be daunting at times, but it does get better, and I've found that there are almost always people to help when I get in over my head :lol: .

I do think though that your main problem right now is still just that ALSA (the main linux sound server which connects to your sound cards) is only using one of the two (virtual) devices on the fast track pro (the device it is using has two outputs, whereas the other one it still isn't using has the two inputs and two more outputs). Because it still isn't using the device with the inputs, jack is starting in playback only mode and you don't have access to your guitar. I'm a little confused as to what you mean by "I can hear my guitar in AV linux"--using what program? But in general I wouldn't worry about that, your main goal is just to get jack running in capture and playback modes--which I believe the fix I listed should do.

The fix I posted above will combine the two fast track devices into one device that alsa and jack can use with both capture and playback capabilities. if you follow my instructions I believe that everything will start working.

Once you get jack running with the fast track capture channels it should become very easy to use ardour and rackarack. You can think of Jack as a a bunch of patch cables between your different instruments, effects, recording workstations, mixers, etc. Your problem now is just that the instrument still isn't (virtually) plugged in, because ALSA isn't combining the two (virtual) devices that exist on the fast track so jack doesn't have access to the capture port.

edit: also, once you get jack working I highly recommend checking out the FLOSS manual for Ardour to get comfortable working with Ardour and routing the audio through jack.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Okay, so I am trying to use my sudo permissions to perform tasks at the terminal and it tells me my password is no good. So I retry 100 times, then reinstall and it tells me the same. I know I entered the root 2x and carefully.
:?

[sudo] password for ron:
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for ron:
ron is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.
ron@ron:~$ sudo apt-get install vmbox
[sudo] password for ron:
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for ron:

Is this a joke or what?
adempewolff
Established Member

Post by adempewolff »

Oh right, AV-linux just has a slightly different root policy than the ubuntu derivitive I'm using.

just type

su

and enter the root password to switch to a root account whenever you need to do a command that requires root priviledges.

"sudo" just allows normal users who are members of the "sudoers" group to execute commands as root without changing accounts using their own password. Because of it's security policy Ubuntu doesn't have a root account that you can switch to or log in to so we use "sudo" for everything.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Yeah, I caught that and was using "su" for the last million attempts. Unfortunately it is still not recognizing my password. I installed the OS 2x already with a usual password. I guess I will try reload the system 1 more when I get home tonight and if that doesn't work go for Tango. I guess Avlinuz doesn't like me being root. :roll:
adempewolff
Established Member

Post by adempewolff »

Hey, you shouldn't need to completely reinstall the system just because you forgot the root password. You can just boot into single user mode (sometimes called recovery mode) and change it. Here's one tutorial about it, googling "recover root password AV-Linux" might produce a more distro-specific one.

Tango Studio might not be a bad idea though if you do just decide to reinstall. Given all the problems your having, especially with disk space, Tango Studio might be the better option because it is focused specifically at audio applications, whereas I believe AV-Linux is also focused at video and graphic, and potentially every other multimedia application out there. The result is that I believe AV-Linux has tons more applications included that you will never use, and thus takes up more disk space.