Jack not finding M-Audio Fast Track device

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

aeb105
Established Member

Re: Jack not finding M-Audio Fast Track device

Post by aeb105 »

Thanks, will go thru the Floss manual now. As a side note, Audacity does not work. Doubleclick the icon and get nothing. Go to terminal and type in audacity and get this

"ron@ron-desktop:~$ audacity
bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
Expression 'ioctl( devHandle, SNDCTL_DSP_CHANNELS, &temp )' failed in 'src/hostapi/oss/pa_unix_oss.c', line: 405
Expression 'hostFormat = PaUtil_SelectClosestAvailableFormat( availableFormats, parameters->sampleFormat )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1077
Expression 'hostFormat = PaUtil_SelectClosestAvailableFormat( availableFormats, parameters->sampleFormat )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1077
audacity: mask_inline.h:160: snd_mask_leave: Assertion `val <= 64' failed.
Aborted"
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

But the real problem is that Jack is not starting now. I attached some screenshots for you.

jackd 0.118.0
Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
Memory locking is unlimited - this is dangerous. You should probably alter the line:
@audio - memlock unlimited
in your /etc/limits.conf to read:
@audio - memlock 3042081
no message buffer overruns
JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
loading driver ..
Enhanced3DNow! detected
SSE2 detected
apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ... hw:3,0|hw:3,1|130|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:3
control open "hw:3" (No such file or directory)
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1401:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1401:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to capture-only mode
cannot load driver module alsa
00:21:07.131 JACK was stopped successfully.
00:21:07.137 Post-shutdown script...
00:21:07.137 killall jackd
jackd: no process found
00:21:07.545 Post-shutdown script terminated with exit status=256.
00:21:09.162 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.
00:21:14.946 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.
00:21:25.337 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.
00:21:45.900 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.
Attachments
Screenshot-6.png
Screenshot-6.png (121.67 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
Screenshot-5.png
Screenshot-5.png (183.37 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
Screenshot-4.png
Screenshot-4.png (119.14 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
adempewolff
Established Member

Post by adempewolff »

Looks like Audacity isn't working because it's trying to access soundcard directly through OSS rather than using jackd (and jackd already has exclusive control over the soundcard). You can google around a bit how to make Audacity work with jack, or type the following to get more information about parameters you can pass to Audacity:

man audacity

jackd isn't starting for the same reason I brought up in my other topic on this forum. You probably cycled the power (turned it off, unplugged the usb, suspend-resumed) of the fast track pro without rebooting your computer and now ALSA won't automatically recognize it.

I haven't gotten any responses on whether this is normal or not but to make ALSA recognize it again either reboot or type

sudo /sbin/alsa force-reload

To avoid having to do this often just keep the fast track pro on when you are planning on using it again beefore the next time you reboot the computer.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Maybe you can disregard those posts above, it seems to be working after switching my boot mode into Low Latency Kernel. The Realtime Kernel is the default or the one at the top. I don't know how that happened, but I'm sure I can find out how to change the order. But should the Realtime Kernel not work or give those errors above? And now when I run Audacity it does run but when I try and record get the screenshot error attached.
Attachments
Screenshot-8.png
Screenshot-8.png (95.95 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
Last edited by aeb105 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
adempewolff
Established Member

Post by adempewolff »

on the contrary, the fast-track-pro shouldn't work (except in very basic modes) except for with the realtime kernel.

You fixed the second problem just because you rebooted. I suppose it is possible that audacity needs to be configured to work with a realtime kernel.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Actually I rebooted several times in the Realtime kernel tonight only to have those errors above. When I switched to Low Latency kernel, things worked. Audacity is not seeing the input from that screenshot I attached and am in the LL kernel
adempewolff
Established Member

Post by adempewolff »

That's because the input doesn't work with the low latency kernel, only the realtime kernel is patched to work with the fast track pro.

In any case you should set Audacity to use jackd rather than ALSA directly--especially if you want to use audacity with rackarack (and then make sure to start jack before opening audacity).
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

That's too weird I just rebooted and switched to the Realtime kernel and Jack works now in this Kernel(it didn't earlier). But Audacity is giving the error above again. Sound for the computer like playing mp3's or when I go to an audio streaming site doesn't seem to work either.
adempewolff
Established Member

Post by adempewolff »

Streaming audio and other audio on the interwebs doesn't work because almost all of it uses the adobe flash plugin which is not compatible with jack. write adobe and complain :wink: .

generally speaking you only need to use jack when you are doing something that requires very low audio latencies (delays) such as recording, monitoring or, especially, overdubbing. Leave the jack server turned off when you don't require these low latencies (browsing the internet, watching youtube videos, listening to podcasts, etc.) and applications that aren't compatible with jack will work fine.

I actually multiboot and use a regular flavor of Ubuntu for everyday stuff, and then only boot into Tango Studio for recording. Regular Ubuntu's Pulseaudio works great for automatically handling many applications using the soundcard at once without any configuration. However it is unsuitable for recording at low latencies and the fact that it doesn't allow for much configuration means you couldn't do something like send your input through rackarack first and then to Ardour. Jack is much more flexible but this comes with the cost of having to spend a little more time learning how to use it's more powerful capabilities.

If jack is ever refusing to start again, just reboot or use that command I listed earlier to reload ALSA.

As for Audacity, I'm not at my Tango Studio computer right now, but next time I've got a moment I'll see if it loads on mine. Although I think if you progress through the Ardour FLOSS manual you will quickly grow familiar with Ardour and find that you prefer Ardour over Audacity (they really aren't even in the same league in terms of capabilities and ease of use). In fact I started using Ardour partly because I got tired of how buggy Audacity was whenever I wanted to do anything more then the most basic operations.

edit
as for playing MP3s, Exaile is the default music player on Tango Studio. Exaile is jack compatible. If you go into Exaile's settings and in the "playback" tab set the audio sink to "automatic" it will automatically select jack if the jack server is started, but use ALSA otherwise. Just be aware that if you start Exaile and then start the jack server afterwards, you will need to restart Exaile. Likewise, if you start Exaile while the jack server is running, and then stop the jack server, you will need to restart Exaile in order to make it use ALSA--actually Exaile will probably just crash on you in this latter case. In general, when stopping the jack server be sure to quit or disconnect any applications that are using it first, otherwise you are asking for them to crash. Similarly stop the jack server before turning off or unplugging the Fast Track Pro to avoid crashes.

you might also need to download mp3 codecs (which aren't included by default becausing doing so might be illegal in certain countries). not at a linux computer now but the codecs you need should be included in a package called something like "gstreamer[some version number]-bad". If you open synaptic and put gstreamer in the search field you should be able to find them.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Cool, I will start reading the Floss manual. Yeah, I am worried because in all the applications so far have not had any recording/playback work. So far, I have tried Jack's recorder, Audacity(when it worked), Ardour(maybe don't know how to use), Rackarack's recorder and some other little mini recorders from the sound menu and got nothing. The other main thing is that I probably need to better understand Jack's "Connections" tab. What goes where and how it should hook up. I have a jack tutorial somewhere. Understood now with flash and Jack, thanks. I may do a dual boot as well with Oneiric soon.
adempewolff
Established Member

Post by adempewolff »

Understanding Jack's connection window is an absolute must. Jack is meant to give you complete control over the exact route your audio takes through the computer. This is vital for a serious recording environment, but it also opens up to door for a lot of human error. If you don't route the audio correctly it won't playback or record. If the connections tab is confusing you, I would suggest taking a piece of paper and drawing a sketch of all the applications and inputs/outputs you are using and think through exactly how the audio needs to flow between these applications (and in what order!). You can imagine this as if you are hooking together effects pedals and amps for your guitar. If you hook an effects pedal up after your amp rather than before it, you aren't going to hear it. After you have your sketch, start with your input and route it to the first application(s) that will process the signal (In jack, hardware/applications outputs are on the left and hw/app inputs are on the right, select one of each and click "connect"), then the next applications that will process/record the signal, etc. finally route whatever you want to to playback to the system outputs.

Ardour is slightly more complicated because it is a much more powerful and professional grade digital audio workstation (DAW). Ardour interacts with Jack not as just one whole application, but it actually lets jack connect to all the tracks and buses within ardour individually. This is very powerful because it can actually let you record your guitar clean (by routing system_capture_1 to audio_1) and then route audio_1 out of Ardour to rackarack's input, and then route rackarack's output back into ardour's master bus, and then finally route the master bus to the system playback. This means you aren't stuck with the effects you chose in rackarack when you recorded, you recorded a clean signal, and you can keep fiddling with the effects after you finished recording.

Finally, as for your playback issue, do you mean that you cannot play audio that you've already recorded? or that you cannot monitor the audio as you are recording?

If it's the former then you almost certainly have a routing problem somewhere. If it's the latter then this is because Ardour is currently set to let your hardware device do the monitoring (many musicians prefer this because it allows lower latencies, but in your case, when your pedals are all on the computer you probably want software monitoring) I forget exactly where the setting in ardour is to enable software monitoring, but I'm sure that the FLOSS manual contains this information. You would have this same problem with software monitoring disabled by default in Audacity as well (in Audacity I believe the setting is in settings:recording.

I've found that with applications like jack and ardour that are highly configurable it really pays off to take plenty of time learning about them, starting with the basic tutorials and then building my way up to the exact configuration I want once I am comfortable with the basics.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Thanks for taking your time to explain. I actually got Ardour to record last night. There were some things in the Floss manual that I didn't initially understand how to bring up and once I did, then it worked. However any other sound recorder, especially the mini/quick recorders, don't seem to work. Maybe they need to be routed right. I will be going back over the routing chapter in the Floss manual to further reinforce my understanding. There are some buggy things. LIke when I start Jack now, after a while, its whole interface disappears leaving the grey window with <Jack Audio Connection Kit.........Started 48000......etc> at the top but none of the buttons like <Start> <Messages> <Setup> etc.

As far as recording goes, I have about 12-15 songs,(at least the guitar portions) ready. I bought a bass guitar and I want to mix in the best drums as well which I guess would be Hydrogen. I was previously using LMMS, but it won't let you record your bass, I guess. So what I am trying to do in the end is cut a demo CD, devising and placing the bass and drum line in sync with my guitar and eventually vocals portion. I think I will start by laying all the guitar tracks out in Ardour, then work with Hydrogen to get the best beat and somehow get it timed with the guitar portion and bring it into Ardour. Then I will have both playing and, insert a bassline and vocals on top. Finishing by mixing everything and burning a CD. I just have to get familiar with how to utlilise and integrate all these peices for the optimum result.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Wow, I just figured out a bunch of cool stuff. I tied Rackarack and then Hydrogen to Ardour. This is beyond awesome and will enable me to do what I need in a streamlined fashion. Pure perfection. Thanks for all your help adampewolf!
adempewolff
Established Member

Post by adempewolff »

Yeah the best thing about Jack is that you can sync all the jack applications to the jack clock. So when you hit play/record in Ardour, it automatically starts playing in Hydrogen and any other connected jack applications. Because of this, I might recommend laying down the drum track first, then you can record the guitar and the drum at the same time--with the drums keeping you in tempo, Once you have the rhythm tracks down (drum and rhythym guitar) then you can add in the bass/lead guitar/kazoo/whatnot parts really easily without having to worry about syncing things up!

Oh, and if jack/ardour/whatever are being buggy, try using less agressive settings (high setting for frames per period and periods per buffer) this will make the latency a little higher but save your CPU. If you are using a lot of rackarack effects (many digital effects are huge CPU hogs and recording at the same time your CPU can max out and things can get funky really quick. Also I've found that the FTP won't work about certain settings (do not try running it in 48kHz with a frames/period of 128 and a periods/buffer of 2--only bad things have come of this for me--it seems okay with those settings but a periods/buffer of 3, but lowering it to two is like clockwork in killing the FTP and making it just spit pink noise.)

Glad I could help out.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Yeah, my only thing now is trying to alter the tempo between the 2 applications. It locks it in between Ardour and Hydrogen. I really need a little play between the 2 or need to figure out a better drumline. Doing the drums first may not always be the easiest way for me. As far as a cpu goes, I am running a dual-core AMD 64. Maybe I should upgrade to quad core to use these affects better? It seems okay for now but as everything is tied in may start seeing more problems.