Jack not finding M-Audio Fast Track device

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

aeb105
Established Member

Re: Jack not finding M-Audio Fast Track device

Post by aeb105 »

Here are the errors I am getting................ wonder if I need to increase the frame rate more? I have it now at 128.

02:15:00.814 Transport start.
02:18:41.166 Transport stop.
02:18:45.369 Transport start.
02:18:57.578 Transport stop.
02:19:01.781 Transport start.
02:19:07.985 Transport stop.
02:20:32.232 Transport start.
02:23:40.554 Transport stop.
02:23:42.755 Transport start.
02:23:54.964 Transport stop.
02:24:01.167 Transport start.
02:24:05.370 Transport stop.
02:24:16.210 JACK connection graph change.
02:24:16.378 JACK connection graph change.
subgraph starting at rakarrack timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=23, status = 0, state = Finished, pollret = 0 revents = 0x0)
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 1.075 msecs
02:24:16.686 ALSA connection graph change.
02:24:16.687 XRUN callback (27).
02:24:16.687 JACK connection graph change.
subgraph starting at ardour lost client
bad status (-2) for client ardour handling event (type = 8)
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 93.199 msecs
02:24:16.780 JACK connection change.
02:24:16.781 ALSA connection change.
02:24:17.582 XRUN callback (1 skipped).
adempewolff
Established Member

Post by adempewolff »

A lot of times increasing the frames per period and periods per buffer will get rid of xruns. However 93 mseconds is a long fricking xrun. I think that its more likely that Ardour crashed or something to cause that xrun. But regardless, increasing the frames/period and periods per buffer will be easier on your CPU and probably be less likely to produce both xruns or a situation where a program would crash.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Any idea to what level they should be increased? I am wondering also if the memory lock warning I get on startup is a problem as well?
adempewolff
Established Member

Post by adempewolff »

256 and 3 should be plenty stable without sacrificing low latency too much. however if you are using a lot of CPU heavy effects (certain reverb plugins are notorious for this) on the guitar you might want to go even higher. I generally just start really high (like 1024 and 3) then work down till I encounter problems then go back up a step. I don't think the memory lock is a problem as most of the tutorials for using a real-time kernel with jack instruct you to manually unlock the memory, but I guess it could be.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Uggh! Don't know why its doing this now I even just restarted to give it some clearing, lol.

Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
Memory locking is unlimited - this is dangerous. You should probably alter the line:
@audio - memlock unlimited
in your /etc/limits.conf to read:
@audio - memlock 3042081
no message buffer overruns
JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
loading driver ..
Enhanced3DNow! detected
SSE2 detected
apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ... hw:3,0|hw:3,1|130|4|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:3
control open "hw:3" (No such file or directory)
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1401:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1401:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to capture-only mode
cannot load driver module alsa
02:14:47.220 JACK was stopped successfully.
02:14:47.226 Post-shutdown script...
02:14:47.226 killall jackd
jackd: no process found
02:14:47.634 Post-shutdown script terminated with exit status=256.
02:14:49.254 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.
02:14:58.714 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.
adempewolff
Established Member

Post by adempewolff »

restart or force reload alsa (I gave the command for doing so somewhere above). For some reason if you power cycle the FTP without rebooting the computer too you need to force reload alsa.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Thanks! I think that did it. I didn't make the ALSA force or have yet. But it didn't crash at all tonight :D
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Rock solid the last couple nights, thanks! I wonder if there is a way to have hydrogen not sync the tempo with ardour? I am trying to create the drums for this bassline and guitar solo. I know it would be a good idea to form drums first, but I am a guitarist and come up with that portion first. I don't know much about drums, but after playing around with LMMS beats was able to put stuff together for the songs. However whenever I open hydrogen it goes too fast for my song and won't let me change the tempo.
adempewolff
Established Member

Post by adempewolff »

um, you could try changing the tempo in Ardour. Essentially, other then double timing the tempo I don't think you can (or should) do too much fiddling in Hydrogen. However, I think your big problem is probably that the tempo in Ardour is not matched to what your playing. Even if you aren't comfortable making a drum track first, you could try using the click track in Ardour so you are at least recording your guitar at a moderately standard tempo (because regardless of what program you are using it's going to just be silly setting anything to a tempo of 132.7 beats per minute...)

Although it must be said that I've only fiddlled with hydrogen a little bit. If you tried searching this forum or creating a new topic specific to this new problem you might have more luck finding an answer.
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

aeb105 wrote: but I am a guitarist and come up with that portion first.
Coming up with the guitar part, is not the same as recording it. Once you create,
and can play the part well, make extended play (repeated copy/paste to itself, in Audacity)
versions of each element of the song, pick a tempo and a hydrogen kit you prefer,
and begin designing a drum pattern for each song element. Place them in the hydrogen grid,
to create your V drummer performance.
Infinite perfectionism, can be employed or ignored on this drum track. The humanize and swing
options actually work.
Record it in Timemachine, edit in Audacity, and import to ardour.
No sync issues, and you will be ready to begin tracking or pasting guitar parts,
which were perfected in your spare time, jamming on the extended play loops made earlier.
EZ Money :wink:
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

For some reason Audacity won't come up when I click on the icon. I think Adam had addressed it earlier. I posted the output from a terminal start of Audacity, earlier in this thread Here it is:

bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
Enhanced3DNow! detected
SSE2 detected
This system has no accessible HPET device (Device or resource busy)
Expression 'hostFormat = PaUtil_SelectClosestAvailableFormat( availableFormats, parameters->sampleFormat )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1077
Expression 'hostFormat = PaUtil_SelectClosestAvailableFormat( availableFormats, parameters->sampleFormat )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1077
Expression 'parameters->channelCount <= maxChans' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 917
Expression 'ValidateParameters( inputParameters, hostApi, StreamDirection_In )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1127
Expression 'parameters->channelCount <= maxChans' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 917
Expression 'ValidateParameters( inputParameters, hostApi, StreamDirection_In )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1127
Expression 'ValidateParameters( inputParameters, hostApi, StreamDirection_In )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1975
Expression 'ValidateParameters( inputParameters, hostApi, StreamDirection_In )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1975
audacity: mask_inline.h:160: snd_mask_leave: Assertion `val <= 64' failed.
Aborted
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Actually, I am going to skip messing with Audacity as I think I will compose the guitar peice, fiddle with the drum part, record it and then come back and use it as a metronome to get the time issues resolved. A couple questions on inputs. I guess you want the volume all the way up in programs such as Hydrogen and Rackarack? Then you adjust the master before you export your file in Ardour? Also, what is the optimum level knobs on the FastTrack for recording? I am guess as loud as you can go on the LIne In (guitar input). Do the other knobs matter that much?
adempewolff
Established Member

Post by adempewolff »

No matter what you are recording (software synthesizer, drum machine, microphone, guitar) the optimum input level is always as high as you can get it without the risk of digital clipping. Before you record any tracks arm them in Ardour, this will cause that track's volume meter to monitor the input volume. Test playing the loudest parts of your guitar part, vocals, drum part etc. and use the input software/hardware's (ie. Hydrogen or the FTP) gain knobs to make sure that the volume meter in Ardour does not peak at or above 0.0dB. Ideally the peaks should be between -10 and -3dB. After you have tested the levels like this for the tracks you are recording then go ahead and record.

Once you've finished recording all your tracks you should have a bunch of nice loud tracks with decent dynamic ranges. You can then use compression or adjust the gain on each track to get the mix that you want. The idea of recording all tracks as loud as possible without clipping is that it is always much easier to make tracks quieter (turn down the gain) or reduce the dynamic range (use a compressor) than it is to make tracks louder or increase the dynamic range.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Thanks Adam. One other thing I wanted to run by you was my routing config. I am routing Jack>Rackarack>Ardour like before but am wondering when edit a track(or route it) which other things do I need to put in there? Like there is Master 1 and Master 2 and then other audio stuff and auditioner and stuff, I haven't discovered yet. Just as important, which Output tracks do I need to select? I have been doing system playback, but in order to Export your tracks to a .wav file, you have to have master in 1 and 2 there. I have actually had to spend most my time studying for a test lately. As soon as I am done with that, I will be doing much more reading up. Anywho thanks for all your time and help.
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

You can send a dry signal to ardour, using fx plugins ardour uses on its tracks.
I don't think Rakarrack works as a plugin, so it would need to be either before, or after ardour,
in the signal routing, or both. The dry option allows for mixing options 'down the road'
Some folks do record dry and effected both at once, so clients get the zizzle up front,, but still can call for changes.

There may be fx-loop possibilities in ardour, that could use standalone fx apps.
Some search engine time, or an ardour power user hopefully will know.