kxstudio - scarlett 8i 6 - Focusrite new install

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

wayneward
Established Member

kxstudio - scarlett 8i 6 - Focusrite new install

Post by wayneward »

Hi guys ive just setup kxstudio with the focusrite and ive got the realtime working etc
im getting sound in but when i get to record im getting a millisecond lag on the monitoring through the scarlett
is there a way to loose this tweaking the config ?
I also have a onboard sound card and a set of usb alesis monitors i can use if either of those would loose the lag
ant tips appreciated
pretty impressed with the speed and carla etc - ive tested a few today and this seems to be the best ive seen for newbies to pros :)

Thanks for the hel pand will be writing a good review on the blog when i fix the sound delay problem :)

wayne :D
JohannesTress
Established Member

Re: kxstudio - scarlett 8i 6 - Focusrite new install

Post by JohannesTress »

If I understand you right you're experiencing Audio-latency. To reduce the latency you have to change the buffer size. Therefore you open Cadence, click on Configure, open the "Driver" Flag and select a smaller buffer size under 'Properties'. To have a non noticeable latency you've to set the buffer size to 128 or even lower.
Hope this works for you?

Johannes
wayneward
Established Member

Post by wayneward »

hello Johannes ill drop that today
If i do experience problems what usually makes this better do you think better processor or more ram ..
i have dual core intel and a 3 gig of ram but its in a PC so i can add or change :)
ill change the buffer and let you know thank you very much :)

Wayne
wayneward
Established Member

Post by wayneward »

now when i look at it, it does it on any set up do
i dont think its to do with latency, i think its to do with the options i select when i run it the first time
it asks me about monitoring and i select the default
which if im thinking it uses ardour to monitor and thats were the delay is coming in
if i select dont use ardour and connect the monitor myself if should use the hardware to monitor
does that sound about right

how do you monitor do you use the default settings that ardour offers or use your own monitor connections with qjackctl and connections...

Wayne
wayneward
Established Member

Post by wayneward »

one more question does anybody know if the scarlett 8i 6 - Focusrite will support direct monitoring
and is there a tutorial for setting up from beggining of running ardour to get it to monitor hardware through to scarlett 8i 6
so i dont get the delay

Wayne :shock:
wayneward
Established Member

Post by wayneward »

well im buggered ive just tweaked about all day
back on ubuntu studio for now .. im going to install kxstudio repos
ive messed with jack settings and its playing ball!!
ive even got the headphone socket working by connecting it in jack

ill find out were the config file is now and make a back up of it before i make anymore changes as i noticed a couple of xruns which im sure i can loose!!

more to report...
famouswolf
Established Member

Post by famouswolf »

I think you are trying to monitor through the software on your computer (Ardour I presume).
There is almost always latency this way, unless you have really damn good audio hardware.
Ardour defaults to monitoring for you if you just click next through the first run dialog.

I would recommend going to Session > Properties in Ardour and turning off "Use monitor section in this session" under Monitoring tab.
Then use headphones on your Scarlett to monitor, unless you have other equipment that you can use the line out for (like a amp + speakers).
This way there isn't an audible lag when tracking, which can get confusing and irritating.
I didn't notice any lag when I play recordings back either, even on my low budget behringer USB card. Its all perfectly aligned to the grid.

Hope this helps
Regards
Rolf
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

using ardour for monitoring will always itnroduce some delay dependant on your buffer settings. i use my onboard soundcard and at best i get around 10ms latency roughly including hardware latency of the card/. jacks latency reports 5ms but its in reality higher than that.

Ive never used the scarlet but it should have its own hardware monitoring fwhich may or may not be accessible in l inux, some interfaces use software to control it.

If your lucky there will be a headphone socket that could either mix between playback and input or a seperate monitor section where you can send inputs to headphone
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

Its delay from using software to monitor, you can minimise it by reducing buffers. the best ive got is about 5ms + input/output delay its still noticable.

youw illw ant to disable software monitoring and use the alesis for monitoring. However im not familiar with that interface. Some interfaces monitoring features are controlled via software and only work in windows.