USB Soundcard For Linux?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ilikeshred

USB Soundcard For Linux?

Post by ilikeshred »

Hello! I've been using Reaper for a long time on Windows 7 (XP back in the days...). I've always wanted to switch my workflow in Linux, but i bought a soundcard isn't supported at all in Linux :/.

I need a new soundcard because it doesn't work in Linux and need some suggestion on USB external soundcard that work really well in linux. I was wondering about the AudioBox 1818VSL by presonus because of the price range and numbers of I/O it have. If you could help me find the right solution i would be very happy to say goodbye to my windows environnement!

For those who might wonder by curiosity, i have an AVID M-BOX 3 (not the pro or the mini, the other one XD!) and it does work well in my current Windows environnment, but it simply doesn't work and not detected (My Midi Input/Output are detected by ALSA strangly enought, which might lead me to a solution there too...) in Ubuntu. I've tried Ubuntu Studio, i tried a bunch of things i find on google, but since i'm stuck on windows i'm not that experienced in linux. I'm usually good but this might be over my current computer's ability, if i can say so...

Please help? Thank you!
English Guy
Established Member

Re: USB Soundcard For Linux?

Post by English Guy »

You did not state your budget. I definitely have a small one and am very happy with my Alesis io2 which works out of the box on my Debian system (& also the *buntus)

48khz 24 bit recording 2 in 2 out, phantom power. each input also has an insert.

If you have to have the input level high it does introduce noise, if you have a good signal it is not an issue.

Hope this helps.

Guy
ilikeshred

Post by ilikeshred »

Of course my budget is relative, i don't have the finance right now, the price must be reasonable, like anything bellow 2000-3000$. I will gladly wait more time as i want to encourage company to produce their driver in linux! I found somewhere that Native instrument does it, so for now they pretty much are my futur choice of soundcard :).
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Do you really need lots of inputs? After troubles with an M-Audio Fasttrack Pro I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. No Midi in/out, but I didn't need one and there's already one in my USB-keyboard. 2 audio inputs with switchable phantom power, 2 outputs, monitor output for headphones. That's all. The preamps are "good enough". It's long term stable and doesn't start "cyloning" after e few hours. I have jack running all the time. Price is about 140 Euros. I bought a second one for my other flat.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

motosega
Established Member

Post by motosega »

there a verry clever guy developing drivers for the digidesign/avid mbox interfaces.

http://www.zamaudio.com/

i don't think he has an mbox3 to test with, but you should get in touch with him. he has already worked a few miracles.