[SOLVED] problems with 1818vsl

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tatch
Established Member

[SOLVED] problems with 1818vsl

Post by tatch »

I was using my 1818vsl with both a macbook and an archtop for a while (3.12) without any issues. I got a new laptop recently and put ubuntu 12.04.4 on it, installing the kxstudio repos on top as well as a lowlatency kernel ( 3.8 ). The first time I connected my 1818vsl it was in the 3.8 generic kernel but it worked without any significant issues until I plugged in my bass, which sounded incredibly distorted and full of noise. I plugged the bass into the other ports and it sounded the same so I restarted my computer into 3.8-lowlatency; when I started up JACK there was simply no output at all.

I verified the inputs are working by setting the inputs to 1818vsl and outputs to onboard card but I can't figure out why the 1818vsl isn't outputting anything. I tested the 1818 on my archtop again to make sure i didn't somehow bust it and it still works. I tried running it on 3.5-lowlatency and 3.11-lowlatency but none of them worked (i couldn't even reach lightdm with 3.2 since I guess I need older driver or something). Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'd greatly appreciate help.

edit: actually I remember there actually is another issue, this entire time I've been getting a huge number of xruns, even with 44100/1024/3. This is quite a nice laptop so I'm really surprised and annoyed. I'm positive it can do better than that.
Last edited by tatch on Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tatch
Established Member

Re: problems with 1818vsl

Post by tatch »

I also find it strange how even though I can't output audio to the 1818vsl I can still hear the popping of every xrun which happens every 3 seconds...

another observation: when I use only the inputs of the 1818vsl and use my laptop output, I can run it at 48khz/512 with a few plugins and midi and i've only gotten 15 xruns in the past 3-4 hours.
ffisher

Post by ffisher »

I have an 1818VSL, which was working flawlessly for about 2 years in Ubuntu 12.04. I recently bought a new computer and suddenly it has crackling sounds and xruns on a faster processor.

I did a little research, and the problem is xchi-hda, the usb 3.0 driver in newer Linux kernels. It will treat the 1818VSL as a usb 3.0 device even though it is a usb 2.0 device. You want the kernel to use ehci-hda, the usb 2.0 driver, rather than xhci-hda. Unfortunately, in Ubuntu these are built permanently into the kernel rather than set up as modules. To get it working, you have to either:

1. Disable usb 3.0 in the BIOS or
2. If your BIOS does not have this option, compile a new kernel with xhci-hda and ehci-hda enabled as modules. Then blacklist the xchi-hda module.

More info on that here: http://www.pcl-developers.org/xhci-hcd- ... 07949.html

I don't have the option in BIOS, and unfortunately, I'm having trouble compiling a kernel. More details here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2214154

I hope this info is helpful to someone here. Let me know if you all make any progress.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

I've found that the VSL1818 can be a quirky beast, although my machines are all too old for the USB-3 bug mentioned by ffisher I have encountered the no audio issue several times, in my experience I have shut down JACK, unplugged the USB cable, powered the VSL on and off, reconnected the USB cable and re-started JACK and voila it will work!

Secondly I have found that a Realtime kernel isn't just a nice option for these units it is almost a necessity, On a well tuned low-latency kernel 1024/3 was still yielding Xruns while the same Kernel with full RT preempt took it down to 256/3 with no Xruns which is low enough for my needs

My experience with a Scarlett 2i2 has been similar, USB Audio devices seem to respond far more significantly to RT than FireWire and PCI cards which don't really show much benefit any more...
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

ffisher, thanks for the lead, it looks very promising. I turned off XHCI preboot mode and while it still isn't working at least I've actually not gotten any xruns. I guess I'll try custom compiling a kernel like you said. Last time I compiled my own kernel I ended up rendering half of my hardware useless so I'm looking for some guides or something. GMaq, I don't quite understand how to compile a kernel with full RT preempt but hopefully I'll figure it out.

update: i followed the instructions on the linuxaudio wiki to compile an rt-kernel and also made sure to compile xhci and ehci as modules, blacklisting ehci in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf but it still doesn't work. sigh
Broomy
Established Member

Post by Broomy »

I think ffisher is right, my 1818vsl was also giving a lot of xruns when attached to my usb 3 input of my laptop. When I insert it in my usb 2 input everything is fine.
I'm using also using kxstudio.
The Quintar Project:
- Popularizing an all fifths tuning for guitarlike instruments
- Youtube: Playing and Building
- Files: Sourceforge
Broomy
Established Member

Post by Broomy »

tatch,

Do you got your card working allready?
The Quintar Project:
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

Broomy wrote:tatch,

Do you got your card working allready?
no, still haven't gotten it to work. I tried plugging it into a non-usb-3 port as well but it doesn't make any difference. I have noticed though that I no longer get xruns in this configuration which I guess is a good thing? Still a little disappointed that it's not working yet. Perhaps I'll try out falktx's 14.04 iso when he re-uploads it and see if it works then.
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

great news, I finally got it to work with the custom kernel. The problem was just that some of the ports were muted in alsamixer.
Broomy
Established Member

Re: [SOLVED] problems with 1818vsl

Post by Broomy »

Great!

Edit: I forgot to ask: How did you resolve the issue you had with the usb 3 input (getting Xruns)?
The Quintar Project:
tatch
Established Member

Revisited: problems with 1818vsl

Post by tatch »

i'd like to revisit this topic because I now have a usb3.0 external HDD. disabling xhci across the system prevents me from being able to utilize the superior speeds enabled by usb3.0 so i was wondering if anyone has found a way to force linux to load the ehci driver when the 1818vsl is connected. I found this stackexchange question which could be helpful, if nobody has any definite answers I'll try to pursue this further.
emarsk
Established Member

Re: [SOLVED] problems with 1818vsl

Post by emarsk »

tatch wrote:I now have a usb3.0 external HDD. disabling xhci across the system prevents me from being able to utilize the superior speeds enabled by usb3.0 so i was wondering if anyone has found a way to force linux to load the ehci driver when the 1818vsl is connected.
I'm in the same situation, and I tried some suggestions but the only way to get the USB audio to work properly on my laptop is to disable the USB3 in the BIOS. If I leave it enabled, then I can't modprobe -r xhci because it's in use. I'll try the route that you posted, though.
Please, avoid some common spelling errors:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling