guitarix2-0.25.1 LV2 amps included

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

brummer

guitarix2-0.25.1 LV2 amps included

Post by brummer »

We are proud to announce the release of guitarix2-0.25.0

Guitarix is a mono tube amplifier simulation for jack, with additional
mono/stereo effect racks witch can be filled with some in-build effects
as well as with external LADSPA plugins.
Download from http://sourceforge.net/projects/guitarix/

This release introduce the first LV2 plugs created from the guitarix
amps. Well, they will perfectly fit into hotel sierra

* GxAmplifier tube 12ax7 tonestack sovtek cabinet 4x12
* GxAmplifier-II tube 12AT7 tonestack soldano cabinet AC30
* GxAmplifier-III tube 6C16 tonestack bassman cabinet 1x15
* GxAmplifier-IV tube 6V6 tonestack soldano cabinet mesa
* GxAmplifier-V tube 6DJ8 tonestack ampeg cabinet HighGain

there are mono and stereo versions of those amps included in the bundle.

Thanks goes to Richard Dalton from http://www.Ampskindesigns.com
for given me permission to use (and distribute) his work within a GNU
GPL project,

many thanks Richard.

thanks goes as well to David Robillard for his great work on the LV2
specs and to Rui Nuno Capela for implement them so excellent in qtractor.

Please check it out and give feedback if you
find a problem.

Please refer to our project page for more information:

http://guitarix.sourceforge.net/

download site:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/guitarix/

have fun

guitarix development team
Last edited by brummer on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: guitarix2-0.25.0 LV2 amps included

Post by funkmuscle »

thanx dude!! great work Hermann and David!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

brummer....you rock!!!

I just built a package with your included package script, I'm guessing that it doesn't build and package the LV2's because I don't see them on the system after building and installing it. Is there a way I can simply build the LV2's by themselves and make a separate package? Or do I need to build a custom package from the source to include the LV2's?
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

GMaq wrote:I just built a package with your included package script, I'm guessing that it doesn't build and package the LV2's because I don't see them on the system after building and installing it. Is there a way I can simply build the LV2's by themselves and make a separate package? Or do I need to build a custom package from the source to include the LV2's?
You might need to add --build-lv2 to the waf configure flags for the LV2 plug-ins to build.

Guitarix 0.25.0 source packages have also been uploaded to the KXStudio-Team plugins repository and should be ready shortly.
brummer

Post by brummer »

GMaq wrote:I just built a package with your included package script, I'm guessing that it doesn't build and package the LV2's because I don't see them on the system after building and installing it. Is there a way I can simply build the LV2's by themselves and make a separate package? Or do I need to build a custom package from the source to include the LV2's?
Hi GMaq

Well, like AutoStatic mention, you must add the --build-lv2 flag to ./waf configure ( properly in the debian/rules file) to build the LV2 plugs.
Building a separate package for the LV2 plugs will be a bit tricky, because they use the included libgxw/gxwmm library’s.
Guitarix need them as well. So, to fulfill all needs, you must put the libgxw/gxwmm library's in a separate package and make guitarix and the LV2 plugs depend on them.
Maybe I prepare the debian/rules for the next release to build it all this way, but first I wont to speak with Roland Stigge (debian maintainer for guitarix) about how we introduce it all the best way into old mother debian. :D

greets
hermann
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

thanks Auto and brummer,

Adding the option to the Debian rules was the ticket...but I have a problem compiling the LV2's (most likely because of my aging Squeeze development base). Brummer I sent an email your way and we can look into it there rather than plug up your release announcement with a bunch of terminal output.

Thanks!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

OK, all fixed!

Big hats off to brummer!
brummer

Post by brummer »

GMaq wrote:OK, all fixed!

Big hats off to brummer!
You are welcome, GMaq :D

However, after having some discussions with David Robillard (thanks for your patience, David) I realize that I need to push out a update in order to avoid a possible violation of the LV2 specs, so guitarix2-0.25.1 is out, those how use the last V0.25.0, are strongly recommended to update.

guitarix2-0.25.1 include as well the needed fixes to build proper on debian/stable (AVLinux) :)

happy new year to all.
brummer

Re: guitarix2-0.25.1 LV2 amps included

Post by brummer »

well, it works in 99,9% fine, but there is a chance that port values were read in the wrong time frame, that is related to the cabinet and presence controller, which control the convolvers, if that happens, a new adjust of the controller fix it.
It wouldn't crash or disturb the overall performance, so I guess you didn't need to be worry about the inclusion in your live CD. :D
I must admit that it happens never for the time I test and check it, but theoretical it is possible. It isn't possible in the V0.25.1 any more.
I didn't know if it work in ardour2, because it needs the new buffersize spec from the last LV2 1.2 release, but if that isn't implement in the host, the convolvers be disabled, then just the cabinet and presence wouldn't work.
The amps do any possible sanity check before they return there handle to the host, so they should be also save in the V0.250 , but a bit saver in V0.25.1, well I hope so, at least, :lol:

greets
hermann

Congratulations for you new release, will check it out if it is available.
junebug
Established Member

Post by junebug »

falkTX wrote:hm, too late for the KXStudio ISO release later today... :(

@brummer:
Does the 0.25.0 work fine in current hosts? I have Ardour2 and Qtractor 0.5.7 in there.

EDIT:
btw, happy new year!
Hi FalkTX,

Just to let you know. I tried out the latest version of Guitarix you have in your PPA. I'm having problems loading guitarix up and also running the lv2 plugins from it. This is what i get when trying to load guitarix (splash screen shows up but then disappears and program doesn't load) -

conor@junebug:~$ guitarix
Illegal instruction
conor@junebug:~$

And if i try to load up the lv2 plugins from within Ardour, this is what i get -

(ardour-2.8.16:4142): Gtk-WARNING **: EnableTranslation: missing action EnableTranslation
Session writable based on /home/conor/Desktop/Test/
http://guitarix.sourceforge.net/plugins/gxamp#12AT7
Missing feature options.
12AT7
convolver disabled
Segmentation fault
conor@junebug:~$

Guitarix had been running with no problems until the update.
brummer

Post by brummer »

I have look at the build log and see that the --optimization flag is set, that is great, on the one side, but it has a downside as well.
This flag optimize the resulting binary for the CPU which it is build on, here on the build server it leads ( in the i386 build) under others to the flags

Code: Select all

-mmmx -mssse3 
That would be the culprit here. I guess your @junebug CPU didn't support them, so it leads to a

Illegal instruction
The very same happen then with the LV2 plugs.
To make it clear, the LV2 plugs, needs at minimum the flags

"-msse2", "-mfpmath=sse"
to run smooth.
I think there isn't any CPU more out there which didn't support those flags, maybe some arm or so, however,I have set up the build scripts so, that they will be set automatic for the LV2 plugs.
The guitarix binary itself could benefit as well from this flags, but they are didn't needed for ensure a clean run for it, so it could be build without any optimization at all.
Still it isn't what I would recommend to do, there are some math optimization flags which will lead to a lower CPU load when used.

However, sorry for the confusion this all had lead to,

@juneburg, could you past your output from

cat /proc/cpuinfo
junebug
Established Member

Post by junebug »

brummer wrote:I have look at the build log and see that the --optimization flag is set, that is great, on the one side, but it has a downside as well.
This flag optimize the resulting binary for the CPU which it is build on, here on the build server it leads ( in the i386 build) under others to the flags

-mmmx -mssse3 
That would be the culprit here. I guess your @junebug CPU didn't support them, so it leads to a

Illegal instruction
The very same happen then with the LV2 plugs.
To make it clear, the LV2 plugs, needs at minimum the flags

"-msse2", "-mfpmath=sse"
to run smooth.
I think there isn't any CPU more out there which didn't support those flags, maybe some arm or so, however,I have set up the build scripts so, that they will be set automatic for the LV2 plugs.
The guitarix binary itself could benefit as well from this flags, but they are didn't needed for ensure a clean run for it, so it could be build without any optimization at all.
Still it isn't what I would recommend to do, there are some math optimization flags which will lead to a lower CPU load when used.

However, sorry for the confusion this all had lead to,

@juneburg, could you past your output from

cat /proc/cpuinfo
conor@junebug:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 15
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
stepping : 11
microcode : 0xb3
cpu MHz : 2393.849
cache size : 4096 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
core id : 0
cpu cores : 4
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts nopl aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
bogomips : 4787.69
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor : 1
core id : 1
apicid : 1
initial apicid : 1
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts nopl aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
power management:

processor : 2
core id : 2
apicid : 2
initial apicid : 2
power management:

processor : 3
core id : 3
apicid : 3
initial apicid : 3
power management:
brummer

Post by brummer »

unfortunately the amd 64 build use

-msse4.2
your CPU support just ssse3
needed is ssse2 which would be no problem in your case.
junebug
Established Member

Post by junebug »

brummer wrote:unfortunately the amd 64 build use

-msse4.2
your CPU support just ssse3
needed is ssse2 which would be no problem in your case.
I appreciate the help but that doesn't mean a whole lot to me :) I do have them compiled on another partition on the computer. Just thought it would be handy to use the KXstudio PPA on this one seeing as i have it set up. They worked no problems there.
brummer

Post by brummer »

It is great that you mention the issue here, so it could hopefully be solved soon. :)
I'm pretty sure it was my fool to didn't make clear that the --optimization flag couldn't be used by distributors, otherwise, the KXStudio repro is a excellent choice to get (ubuntu)binary’s :wink:

(p- if you compile guitarix by yourself, I would recommend to use the --optimization flag for best experience with guitarix)

So thanks junebug, you are welcome,
and a happy new year for you as well.