Carla 2.0 beta4 is here!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

superprick
Established Member

Re: Carla 2.0 beta4 is here!

Post by superprick »

I tried a new prefix. didnt work
Baryon
Established Member

Post by Baryon »

This is great news.
I just tried Carla as a vst plugin in Renoise and I'm seeing the same issue mentioned here:
http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=13521
This is on Arch 64 via carla-git.
I'm assuming a MIDI Split thing is necessary in order to get a 'multi-timbral' instrument?
superprick
Established Member

Post by superprick »

Any word on a solution for 32bit vst not working in versions of ubuntu newer than 14.04 and arch. still getting the same timeouts and no audio being passed through the plugins. 64bit vst work fine. 32 bit complain of timeout. same behavior in festige. I am using the wine metapackages from the kx repo on ubuntu 15.04
superprick
Established Member

Post by superprick »

if festige is also broken (and then I assume dssi-vst doesn't work as well), then it might be something out of my control.
some new libs that sorta conflict with wine perhaps.
agreed. I dont exactly know how your bridges work or dssi-vst. If i can be any help let me know. I dont think its necessarily related to wine. i have downgraded wine all the way down to 1.6 on arch with the same results. My guess is its a new library or even kernel driver. Also was just recently updated..

Just a guess
superprick
Established Member

Post by superprick »

no good. just updated and rebooted. same results on arch. Fresh install of 15.04 this morning. kx repos installed

Code: Select all

mike@office:~$ carla
Using "carla" theme
Carla 1.9.6 (2.0-beta4) started, status:
  Python version: 3.4.3
  Qt version:     4.8.6
  PyQt version:   4.11.3
  Binary dir:     /usr/lib/carla
  Resources dir:  /usr/share/carla/resources
libjack.so.0 loaded sucessfully!
Cannot read socket fd = 14 err = Success
CheckRes error
JackSocketClientChannel read fail
Cannot open Carla client
Carla Server Info:
  sizeof(BridgeRtClientData):    6360
  sizeof(BridgeNonRtClientData): 16400
  sizeof(BridgeNonRtServerData): 65552
starting plugin bridge, command is:
/usr/lib/carla/carla-bridge-win32.exe "VST2" "/home/mike/vst/Win32 VST/LeXtac.dll" "LeXtac" 1280857155
WINE realtime scheduling hack enabled, realtime base priority has been set to 15
wineserver running SCHED_NORMAL
CarlaEngineBridge::CarlaEngineBridge("XwLJMt", "oUh5ch", "gg7jo6", "xryUPZ")
Carla Client Info:
  BufferSize: 256
  SampleRate: 48000
  sizeof(BridgeRtClientData):    6360/6360
  sizeof(BridgeNonRtClientData): 16400/16400
  sizeof(BridgeNonRtServerData): 65552/65552
Carla Client Ready!
waitForClient(resize-pool) timeout here
Carla assertion failure: "! fTimedOut" in file CarlaPluginBridge.cpp, line 2657
waitForClient(process) timeout here
waitForClient(deactivate) timeout here
superprick
Established Member

Post by superprick »

jack is fully functional. wine asio is as well.. as a matter of fact since this problem has occoured i am using net-jack to route to a windows machine and back for winvst running in and out of ardour non and qtractor.

I entered the command listed above substituting my path and vst and it does nothing. just sits there
SeanD
Established Member

Post by SeanD »

I am seeing the same problem as SuperPrick. Been beating my head against the wall for a while trying to work the problem out.

Kubuntu 15.04 64Bit is my distro. Been tracking it on https://github.com/falkTX/Carla/issues/234 but it's likely better here.

Always the same symptom; the 32 bit plugin loads and on the carla rack the power button goes red a few seconds after the rack unit is drawn. I understand that indicates a timeout. The rack unit is slow to appear after adding it but it does appear immediately the timeout assert happens.

The UI can be brought up and all knobs operated. But there is no sound. The rack unit powerbutton returns to red if you press it again.

To me the relevant failure is in this little section of log:

Code: Select all

Carla Client Info:
  BufferSize: 1024
  SampleRate: 48000
  sizeof(BridgeRtClientData):    6360/6360
  sizeof(BridgeNonRtClientData): 16400/16400
  sizeof(BridgeNonRtServerData): 65552/65552
Carla assertion failure: "name != nullptr && name[0] != '\0'" in file ../utils/CarlaBackendUtils.hpp, line 530
Carla Client Ready!
waitForClient(resize-pool) timeout here
Carla assertion failure: "! fTimedOut" in file CarlaPluginBridge.cpp, line 2657
One question will be that 65552, as it's so close to 65535 and as that is 64K buffer...

Well, it's likely not that, but I'll certainly be interesting in helping how I can to help solve this so 32 bit windows plugins don't timeout on [k]ubuntu 15.04
Last edited by SeanD on Wed May 06, 2015 4:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
SeanD
Established Member

Post by SeanD »

falkTX wrote:Bummer, I installed 15.04 and the wine bridges are working just fine.
https://i.imgur.com/1L1s9BA.png
Although the carla-bridge in this screenshot is 32 bit, Autogun is 64bit according to the pages I look at (Might be dual architecture, but it is X64 still). I can't install that sadly as it only seems to have an .exe distribution method.

Sorry to trouble, but can you load Rovee 1.21 in your test VM?
http://www.g200kg.com/en/software/rovee.html
SeanD
Established Member

Post by SeanD »

The OS is 32bit as welll I think.
I have the 64 bit OS, so are using the :i386 libraries. This might be something to check, if the 32 bit works?
superprick
Established Member

Post by superprick »

A little more info. All 32bit windows apps trying to access jack do not work and send xruns climbing hundreds per second. Recently tried reaper 32 bit with wineasio. as soon as a track is opened it happens. However the 64 bit version of reaper is fine. so its either a wine problem or a jack problem. Using jackd2 on both arch and ubuntu 15 produces same results
adrianfernandezfazio
Established Member

Post by adrianfernandezfazio »

Waves 9r13 working in Carla!!! Ardour 4 + Carla + waves plugins. When adding plugins to Carla, ask to waves folder plugins, and then stop. Press skip and continue, the plugins appears in Carla. I need more tests but until now no crashes, thanks again falkTX!