Bitwig 1.0 is out!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

Re: Bitwig 1.0 is out!

Post by studio32 »

Shouldn't a commercial software company like Bitwig is, not provide you the support? I would ask on their forums and I doubt if a forum like this should spent a lot of time to give support for commercial apps.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

studio32 wrote:Shouldn't a commercial software company like Bitwig is, not provide you the support?
They most certainly should :)
studio32 wrote:I doubt if a forum like this should spent a lot of time to give support for commercial apps.
I think it's great that a company like Bitwig is taking Linux so seriously, and IMO Linux Musicians using Bitwig are more than welcome to share their experiences, ideas, troubles and solutions here. If there's lots of Bitwig active users here we could even open a dedicated subforum for them - though I'm not seeing that yet.

On the other hand, indeed I'm personally unlikely to put much effort in figuring out problems with Bitwig, and a reasonable part of that is due to its proprietary nature. There's certainly more people here who feel like that. That's no problem, we can peacefully co-exist ;).
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

studio32 wrote:... I doubt if a forum like this should spent a lot of time to give support for commercial apps.
Disagree++.

The last thing we need is more exclusivity.

That being said, Bitwig users will get the benefit of a much-expanded user base - and direct support from the devs - if they also use the BW forum on KVR.

Best,

dp
Excds
Established Member

Post by Excds »

I asked here since this is probably the easiest place to find answers. I've from time to time tried to see if the newer versions of the demo work, but there's always the possibility that someone else has managed to get stuff to work using a tweak.

If I can't get the basic things like midi input/output working, then I'm not entirely motivated to shell out for a license...
Ever noticed something?
Unix comes with compilers.
Windows comes with solitaire.
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

Excds wrote:If I can't get the basic things like midi input/output working, then I'm not entirely motivated to shell out for a license...
For the record, I have an Akai LPK25 and a Behringer BCF2000 working well in BW. I'm on version 1.0.7 now, but I've had the controllers working for a while. I had to write my own script for the LPK, a simple enough task. The BCF was recognized automatically. I can play BW's instruments and VSTi plugins via the keyboard, and I've recorded MIDI data from both devices.

MIDI output to external devices is another story. User glokraw reports success driving Yoshimi from BW but I haven't yet figured how to do it. Apparently the Hardware Instrument router can be used, I just don't know how.

Overall performance isn't as good as some other native Linux software, but that'll likely improve. JACK transport is also high on the devs' TODO list.

Again, you'll find more traffic about BW on the BW forum at KVR. Please feel free to post here though.

Best,

dp
Excds
Established Member

Post by Excds »

StudioDave wrote:For the record, I have an Akai LPK25 and a Behringer BCF2000 working well in BW. I'm on version 1.0.7 now, but I've had the controllers working for a while. I had to write my own script for the LPK, a simple enough task. The BCF was recognized automatically. I can play BW's instruments and VSTi plugins via the keyboard, and I've recorded MIDI data from both devices.

MIDI output to external devices is another story. User glokraw reports success driving Yoshimi from BW but I haven't yet figured how to do it. Apparently the Hardware Instrument router can be used, I just don't know how.
Hmm, ok, I didn't get it to recognize my LPK25. Care to share the script?

What dist/version of Linux are you using?
Ever noticed something?
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

Excds wrote:... I didn't get it to recognize my LPK25. Care to share the script?
Here ya go:

http://linux-sound.org/misc/lpk25.control.js

Put it in ~/Bitwig Studio/Controller Scripts/Akai. Start BWS and it should be recognized automagically. At this point there's no support for other LPK functions beyond MIDI note events.
What dist/version of Linux are you using?
Fedora 19. I convert the DEB package to TGZ with alien and then manually install it.

Best,

dp
Excds
Established Member

Post by Excds »

Thanks! I will try this as soon as I can. Have a bit too busy schedule at the moment. :-/
Ever noticed something?
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I've just got around to trying the demo of this but I've noticed two things:

1) doesn't support flac which is disappointing since I converted all my samples to flac a while ago.

2) I can't drag and drop files from the browser to anywhere else, I can copy and paste them but I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to be the way it works. Anyone else experience this?
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

sysrqer wrote:I've just got around to trying the demo of this but I've noticed two things:

1) doesn't support flac which is disappointing since I converted all my samples to flac a while ago.

That's probably worth a feature request to the devs.
2) I can't drag and drop files from the browser to anywhere else, I can copy and paste them but I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to be the way it works. Anyone else experience this?
Drag'n'drop works perfectly here for all file types in the browser. IIRC I'm using XFCE for my window manager in Fedora 19 x86_64.

Best,

dp
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

StudioDave wrote:
Drag'n'drop works perfectly here for all file types in the browser. IIRC I'm using XFCE for my window manager in Fedora 19 x86_64.

Best,

dp
I was trying out bspwm so I switched back to awesomewm after you mentioned window managers and it works! Not really sure why but thanks anyway 8)
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Argh and now none of my vsts are showing.
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

sysrqer wrote:Argh and now none of my vsts are showing.
Is the plugin search path correct in the resource browser ?

dp
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

StudioDave wrote:
Is the plugin search path correct in the resource browser ?

dp
Yes, I can make it see the few plugins I have in /usr/lib/vst but ~/.vst shows none. The strange thing is renamed the folder to just 'vst' (without the .) and it picked them up fine. I named it back and created a symlink to the .vst folder, named 'vst' and it works. Seems to be some kind of bug as far as I can see.
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

sysrqer wrote:..., I can make it see the few plugins I have in /usr/lib/vst but ~/.vst shows none. The strange thing is renamed the folder to just 'vst' (without the .) and it picked them up fine. I named it back and created a symlink to the .vst folder, named 'vst' and it works. Seems to be some kind of bug as far as I can see.
Was that your post then on KVR ? Hopefully the fix is easy, BW just isn't looking in hidden directories. Did it work with ~/.vst in previous releases ?

Best,

dp