greetings from ohio

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

greetings from ohio

Postby zzzxyz » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:04 pm

happy xmas all

been running linux since '08 (ubuntu, debian, pclinuxos, avlinux). on my studio box, i'm running lubuntu 12.04 completely kxstudio-fied. LOVE it! Claudia/Ardour3 work like a charm! kde4 is a little heavy on my old p4, but smokin' with lxde.

been playing/writing/recording since '75 - i sing, and play mostly guitar and drums.

i build pipe organs by day, and have built my own guitars and tube amps. my first two CDs out there on youtube - look for "scott gorsuch" - have another project called "amish drum machine" (also on yt) for fun.

getting ready to record my 3rd album - the first one using linux - totally stoked about that!

cheers,
zzzxyz
zzzxyz
Establlshed Member

Re: greetings from ohio

Postby danboid » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:27 am

Welcome - we're glad to have you aboard!

A few (well, maybe more like 8 or so) years back I went to buy a second hand printer as a present for my dad and it turned out that the guy selling it was non other than Hugh Banton, organ player for famed Manc proggers Van der Graaf Generator. I mention that as he spends his days making church organs these days, much like yourself.

I hope you discover much more useful facts than this from these forums! :)
Are you new to Linux Audio? This manual explains how to install KXStudio, set up and use JACK, mimimize latency, lists the best Linux AV apps and much more all in a concise and easy to understand format.

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/kxstudio_manual
danboid
Establlshed Member

Postby Frank Carvalho » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:58 am

Whoa! When pipe organ building was mentioned, the first thing I came to think of was also Hugh Banton! I'm a big fan of his and of VdGG. I saw them play in Amsterdam a number of years ago.

But anyway, welcome to the forum!

/Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Ubuntu Studio recording setup.
Frank Carvalho
Establlshed Member

Postby zzzxyz » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:15 pm

i haven't heard too much of VdGG, but i'm a little proggy by nature, so will have to investigate them more (and Hugh, that's awesome).
yeah, the organ-thing is a weird job i fell into about 15 yrs ago. the room we set 'em up in is about 30'x30' with a 24' ceiling - plaster/glass/terrazzo - great live room for recording! soooo glad xmas-time is here, the weeks before are the busiest for organ folks (lots of tuning). now some time off to play.
zzzxyz
Establlshed Member

Postby StudioDave » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:18 pm

Greetings !

Also from Ohio, in Findlay. Where are you located ?

Welcome to LM, it looks like you've already met some like-minded fellows here. :)

Best regards,

Dave Phillips
StudioDave
Establlshed Member

Return to New? We're glad you're here!