Hi peeps.. North East, UK

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Shugs81
Established Member

Hi peeps.. North East, UK

Post by Shugs81 »

Hi all!

I tried many moons ago to use linux to record... but having gone for an Edirol FA-66 could never get it to work with jack and ardour etc...

Not playing so much now but looking to get back into it again... more as a hobby and when i actually get good enough to compose soundtracks for animations... machine is for animation mainly... wouldn't mind getting a new audio interface as last time i tried linux as an audio recording tool was about 5/6 years ago... fedora 14 i think... :D

Currently moving away from windows... still have a windows box for games but the main worksation i've just built is running Fedora 21... I'm thinking i should have gone for 20 but too late now!! :D

I used to use the FA-66 as an interface to play my guitar through headphones (from the amp through a 4x12cab emulator) and also i hooked up my turntable up to it so i could listen to LP's through my fancy Monitor speakers that i'm still using!

I wouldn't mind getting some kind of USB device that would do the above but possibly hook a keyboard up to it aswell... I've no idea about midi... it seems straight forward on paper but i've never managed to get anywhere with it... so i'll probably pick peoples brains on that side of things too...

did i mention this is mainly for hobbying? :D

anyways... Hi again peeps!! please be gentle!
English Guy
Established Member

Re: Hi peeps.. North East, UK

Post by English Guy »

Greetings from the distant South East! I would suggest using a live distro (or several) at first that is optimised for audio and then learn how to customise your system.

A live system is a brilliant combination with a USB interface as it makes it a very portable (i.e. consistent) system between different machines.
Shugs81
Established Member

Post by Shugs81 »

hmm... sounds like a reasonable idea... should've installed a dvd player in my new pint sized machine!!! lol!

I suppose i could use a usb stick to run them... any suggestions for distros? I only ever saw openartist which was both art & music... and there was another one which was kinda ok but I can't remember that... these were both years ago now tho... plus any hardware interfaces with at least one jack in/xlr and midi for a keyboard?

I'm getting a bit twitchy already thinking about it!! lol!!
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

USB stick is the way to go, much faster than a CD or DVD. AVLinux is very good. Ubuntu studio is smaller and plays well with the new UEFI firmware. An easy way to make a live pen is to use unetbootin.

My main music laptop is currently running Debian stable with KX studio repos, but that is another story.

I use an Alesis io2 interface, which is budget, but does all I want so I have never been tempted to upgrade.