EEE PC

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

EEE PC

Post by MattKingUSA »

I've just purchased a couple of EEE PCs and I was going to see what everyone else runs on their systems. They are both running Mandriva 2010.2. What do you guys run on yours?

-Matt :D

MattKingUSA

Re: EEE PC

Post by MattKingUSA »

I guess I'm the only one using them, meh

peregil
Established Member

Post by peregil »

I have a 701 running debian sid. Everything ok. Not very useful for music production but still a nice little machine.
MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

peregil wrote:I have a 701 running debian sid. Everything ok. Not very useful for music production but still a nice little machine.
The video playback seems to be a bit aweful on the 900 series. Is it as bad on the 701?

peregil
Established Member

Post by peregil »

I use the eeepc in the classroom with my students to watch some divx using mplayer (now mplayer2) and it is not bad. I never tried with a 720p or 1080p video. I suppose the quality will be very similar cause both of them have a cheap intel gma.
peregil
Established Member

Post by peregil »

Obviously, I use a projector to watch the divx. It will be a bit ridiculous if the students and me were trying to watch the films in that tiny screen.
Scary Hallo
Established Member

Post by Scary Hallo »

My girlfriend has a eeepc 1201 with ubuntu netbook edition. But doesn't make music with it. Just to make homework in the train or so.
Havoc
Established Member

Post by Havoc »

Not a eeepc but an acer netbook, does that count? It runs Gentoo/KDE3.5. Sometimes use it as a music player with an external drive and alsaplayer (with Jack!). Another use is as an instrument tuner with Fmit.
MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

I was curious about what people run on the Atom processors and the smaller Asus but Acer is top notch.

Johnito
Established Member

Post by Johnito »

I own an EEE PC 701 4G. Originally it came with Xandros, but I've used several other distro's to run on it: Puredyne (Carrot and Coriander); Bodhi Linux 2.2.0 and 2.4.0, Watt OS R5, R6, R7 and R7.5 (all LXDE); Archbang; some Puppy flavors, and currently I have Peppermint OS 3 installed. I have onced recorded a few tracks on it: one with Bodhi and one with Watt OS R6 using Hydrogen, Yoshimi, Audacity, qjackctl and a midi-keyboard. But to be honest, the quality of the end result was quite poor, mainly because there were several clicks and pops, which were almost impossible to remove (may have something to do with the fact that I wasn't very experienced at the time). Still I would say this netbook is not recommended for music production.

But, having said that: in my experience, the EEE PC 701 4G performs surprisingly well during live performances (small gigs, jam sessions, private family parties and so on). Just last week I jammed with a few friends, and I had both an ION midi/usb keyboard and the Akai MPK Mini connected, in order to play with both Hydrogen and Yoshimi. No real problems on Peppermint OS, just great fun. I'm keeping this toy! 8)